U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:50 PM

14 posts, read 35,243 times

Advertisements

We live on the west side of Indy.....near Speedway and we love it........been here 12 years. Crime is spotty, the city is close and we've never had a tornado, or a funnel cloud. And I, like you was terrified of tornadoes.

Brownsburg/Avon gets them more than we do here on the west side but I found that for some reason, because we are close to Eagle Creek, the storms tend to break before the lake and go north or south.

We've heard of tornadoes within a few miles of us but never our neighborhood. We had straightline wind damage about 5 years ago...knocked a few trees over, but other than that we've never had a problem.

If tornadoes really worry you, try to find a home in that has a basement. That's what we did. Being unfamiliar with this type of weather, I used to hit the basement the minute the winds started......now it takes alot to get me in that basement....usually the sirens going off LOL

The area we live in most definitely is in the 150 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 AM

200 posts, read 617,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus-eyes View Post
We live right near the track.....I don't remember that one!
That was 2003!

No tornado in Speedway, but there was a funnel cloud spotted, and people were trying to leave the track after the race. Some stayed under the concrete stands, others made a break for it and ran for their cars....the funnel cloud became a tornado on the east/southeast side and caused some damage.

I remember, because I was in the "make a break for it" category!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 35,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedie80 View Post
That was 2003!

No tornado in Speedway, but there was a funnel cloud spotted, and people were trying to leave the track after the race. Some stayed under the concrete stands, others made a break for it and ran for their cars....the funnel cloud became a tornado on the east/southeast side and caused some damage.

I remember, because I was in the "make a break for it" category!

I remember that now! I totally forgot about that! I remember the sirens going off and that the track was open...I remember looking over at my neighbor's house because they had gone to the track that day...thanks for the reminder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis