U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 AM

29 posts, read 116,741 times
Default Winter in Indianapolis?

I'm considering taking a job offer I received at the airport in Indianapolis. I just wanted to know what the winters are like in Indy. How cold does it get and how much does it snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 AM

2,249 posts, read 4,055,944 times
Daytime highs in the dead of winter are about freezing and lows dip into the teens. It can get bitterly cold though, with a handful of days each year of subzero temperatures. Snow varies from year to year, about 20-30 inches average for each season. Storms of 6+ inches only occur two or three times a year.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,063 posts, read 3,180,495 times
As an outlander here for 20 some years and as someone who grew up in Michigan, college in the U.P, winters in Indy are like a roll of the dice. I remember more than a few being a disappointment (I like winter, lol). Last winter was strange, the suburb I live in would miss everything...snow, sleet, and then I'd drive a few miles out and boom, snow everywhere.

They clear roads quite well and quickly when it snows, although I know in the city, many side streets are ignored for a week.

There was one storm, about 15 years ago, that they dropped the ball on the interstate and it ended up being about 4 inches of ice ruts that you had to keep your tires in or risk losing it into the guard rail.

If you aren't familiar with snowy winters, a city like Indy is a great beginners course, lol.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 507,668 times
Winters are fairly mild compared to Michigan/Minnesota, etc....Indy doesn't get "lake effect" snow like South Bend, so a good snow dump is rare. We're good for maybe two good snows per year. There are exceptions, though. Negative temps is also not common...maybe a few days per year. 15-25 seems about average. Overall, they're not bad. Could be a lot worse

Old 10-12-2007, 06:40 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,654,585 times
And the winters are very damp. Doesnt make sense to have a really heavey cold weather gear (we ended up selling our parkas and most of our heavy gear). Kept one down for the few days of very cold weather. Layers and water/wind protection are best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis