Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Mooresville 5 27.78%
Greenwood 12 66.67%
Other (explain via comment please!) 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM

23 posts, read 55,002 times

Advertisements

kayanne - Could you please give me your thoughts on how Noblesville compares to Greenwood? We currently live in Nville and may be moving to Gwood next spring to lessen our commutes. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjot View Post
kayanne - Could you please give me your thoughts on how Noblesville compares to Greenwood? We currently live in Nville and may be moving to Gwood next spring to lessen our commutes. Thanks!
I'd need to know what your criteria and preferences are, other than wanting to shorten your commute. What kinds of things do you like to do, do you have kids in school, etc?

I happen to prefer Noblesville over Greenwood. I haven't actually spent a great deal of time in Greenwood in recent years other than the shopping corridor along US31. It is certainly congested in that area, but if you found a neighborhood with quick access to I-65 (or whatever main road you would need for your commute) perhaps you could avoid the congestion. Greenwood has good hospitals, lots of chain restaurants, the mall is very large (and mostly enclosed), not sure about the schools (some Greenwood neighborhoods are part of the Whiteland school district, not sure which is considered better). I think overall Greenwood is older, with some (certainly not all) areas looking old and tired.

Noblesville is so spread out geographically that it's hard to even characterize it! I lived around 146th and Hazel Dell for a while, which to me is still pretty much Carmel (even though it is technically N'ville). Other parts of N'ville are still very much "out in the country." Lots of newer neighborhoods, the mall is fine in the summer but open air isn't good in the winter. I like the proximity to Carmel and the new Performing Arts Center there.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 PM

58 posts, read 127,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I lived in Plainfield for 20 years. I honestly don't remember ever hearing airplane noise. Of all the small towns that have been discussed in this thread, it should be a top contender for what you are looking for. Property taxes are low compared to other areas (at least they were when I lived there) because of the large industry base. There is a large warehouse distribution park (due to proximity of the airport) that has brought a lot of jobs and tax dollars to Plainfield. There is a nice mall, tons of parks, old established neighborhoods, newer homes, farms, a nice mix really. Everyone was very friendly, I knew most of my neighbors. Don't rule it out because of the name!
Awesome! Thanks. If I can get my friend to get over the name we will look into it!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM

218 posts, read 462,592 times
I don't know Noblesville that well, but I have enough friends in Greenwood that I get down there from time to time. Noblesville is definitely the more affluent of the too--all it takes to figure this out is a quick comparison of their income levels on Wikipedia or something like that. That isn't to say that Greenwood is poor, but Noblesville is northside and Greenwood is southside. Noblesville has more of the white-collar families than Greenwood would have, though that isn't to say Greenwood has none.

Interesting about the "tired" houses in Greenwood that kayanne talks about. While they're definitely are some older areas that look a little worn-out in Greenwood, they are rare in comparison to the perfectly stable or even cushy areas. The older, blue collar parts of Greenwood are mostly between County Line Road and Fry Road, as far as I can tell. I still wouldn't consider these areas unsafe or even run down--just showing their age. You probably won't have a whole lot of that in Noblesville, but then housing costs up there would be higher in general anyway.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 PM

23 posts, read 55,002 times
One thing kayanne we really like about Noblesville is the number of younger families with children in our area. We live between 38 and 32. Also the parks and green spaces in Hamilton County are numerous and we utilize those frequently.
While Noblesville is spread out, I like the fact that we can get to just about any amenity within 10 minutes.

The areas of Greenwood we are targeting are between 135 and 37. Many are newer subdivisions (built in last 5-7 years) and some are actually Bargersville addresses. All however are Center Grove schools and we have heard many good things about that district. A big reason we chose Noblesville was the school system, so hopefully Center Grove won't be too different. We have a 3 and a half year old.

Anything you or anyone else can add would be appreciated.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
I don't know Noblesville that well, but I have enough friends in Greenwood that I get down there from time to time. Noblesville is definitely the more affluent of the too--all it takes to figure this out is a quick comparison of their income levels on Wikipedia or something like that. That isn't to say that Greenwood is poor, but Noblesville is northside and Greenwood is southside. Noblesville has more of the white-collar families than Greenwood would have, though that isn't to say Greenwood has none.

Interesting about the "tired" houses in Greenwood that kayanne talks about. While they're definitely are some older areas that look a little worn-out in Greenwood, they are rare in comparison to the perfectly stable or even cushy areas. The older, blue collar parts of Greenwood are mostly between County Line Road and Fry Road, as far as I can tell. I still wouldn't consider these areas unsafe or even run down--just showing their age. You probably won't have a whole lot of that in Noblesville, but then housing costs up there would be higher in general anyway.
Noblesville does include two moderate income census tracts (out of 3 total in Hamilton County). A trip to the Noblesville Wal-Mart will expose one to examples of why some still refer to it as Nobletucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis