Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM

24 posts, read 85,311 times

Advertisements

It's totally possible to live downtown, send your kids to public schools and get around (at least partially to largely) without a car - I've been doing it for years and I'm not the only one.

The Cultural Trail is truly awesome. It's fully lighted, landscaped, and a dedicated non-motorized right of way that connects everything I need...grocery store, central library, IUPUI, Pan Am Center, work, kid #2 school, even my office are right off of the trail. When it snows, the trail is better maintained than the streets.

I do have a car, and especially with kids wouldn't want to go without one, but I don't use it every day.

My kids go to wonderful schools, both IPS magnets: CFI #2 and Sidener Academy. We've also attended a terrific private school, the Oaks Academy. For high school we'll probably have kid #1 at Herron High School (a charter) but will look at IPS' Arsenal Tech for kid #2. There weren't many "good" options when we moved here 10 years ago, but we now have so many high-quality options that it really would be a major factor against us moving anywhere else.

The downside is that yes, there is property crime. Our neighborhood is up to around 10 garage break-ins in recent weeks, and the same night our neighbors down the block had their garage broken into, we found a guy caught on our rear camera trying out the door handles on my car parked outside. We keep all doors locked, have security cameras installed, and yeah, when we first moved in and were green, got stuff stolen off our patio and out of our garage. Learn to be a hard target, and it doesn't mean you're scott-free, but it helps. Still, the positives of living downtown - so far - outweigh the negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM

11 posts, read 16,254 times
Thank you this is really helpful

Old 12-09-2012, 03:46 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
The city of Indy is nothing compared to Chicago, so don't even think it will be like it. Indy is basically a suburb and there is no "going to the city" or "living in the city" like Chicago. The northern burbs of Indy can be nice and similar to Chicago's though.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM

406 posts, read 1,038,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanyaboo View Post
Hi I am moving from chicago to Marion county IN. I would like to know if there are good or bad areas, decent rental homes because I have children I would like a home not an apartment and schools. I also wouldn't mind an area like a quiet suburb type area.
This is a new development that I just passed by today on the northside. It's an apartment complex, but it's in a great quiet area. They look like they just built them very recently. Quite expensive, but on a budget for a home, you should be ok. They have 3 bedroom 3058 sq.ft apartments. Search this forum for good and bad areas, there should be plenty of threads.

Lakefront living that's close to it all. Luxury apartments and townhomes homes for rent at Solana at the Crossing in Indianapolis

good and bad areas thread: 10 crime-troubled neighborhoods

Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
The city of Indy is nothing compared to Chicago
Is there any real reason to explain something like this? I mean seriously, who comes to Indianapolis expecting to find Chicago?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:18 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Is there any real reason to explain something like this? I mean seriously, who comes to Indianapolis expecting to find Chicago?
good question haha.
Each City is unique in character.
Some are more different than others and some have similarities.
for example the layout of Downtown Indianapolis and Chicago are the same in that they both use the grid system and not just downtown but across the city.
Heck i think Chicago copied Indianapolis street numbering for streets south of the Loop.
Go figure haha.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 5,463 times
I live downtown (Fletcher Place neighborhood) and did everything I could to avoid the suburbs. We have a 3.5 year old and a 10 month old and I wouldn't have it any other way. We have 9 kids just on our block. There are great magnet school, private school and charter school options. In fact, it's getting quite competitive as more and more families are moving downtown. Our neighborhood has monthly kids club and events as well as bocce leagues, book club, etc. We are right off the cultural trail, near bars, blue beards, close to Fountain Square and downtown restaurants and bars. In fact most everything is walking distance to us.

I like Meridian Kessler as well but downtown is just so vibrant and exciting. I really feed off the energy. Not to mention we are getting a full YMCA downtown...breaking ground in the spring, only 3 blocks from my house! Can't beat the growth! It's all very exciting.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM

105 posts, read 145,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
Wow. That's impressive.

I'm not worried about the lack of entertainment. The things we like most about living here is the urban lifestyle...walking to school and the store, taking public transportation, the EL, Michigan Ave, running along the lake, nice neighborhoods that aren't just white people, etc.

I know Indy has some nice urban areas but we haven't been able to explore them yet. I'll be there tomorrow through Thursday and will spend time in Broad Ripple, Meridian-Kessler, and Irving...something to see if there's anything like what we currently have.
This is going to sound incredibly bad but that is one small reason why I need to move out of Northern MI. I am the only black person to be had in this area!! I miss seeing other black people!!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,141 times
Sound incredibly bad? Lol. Nope. I totally get it.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,141 times
Sorry but your post is making me laugh. I've been in northern MI quite a bit and there aren't many areas with a higher concentration of white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis