U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2007, 08:06 AM

5 posts, read 42,102 times
Question Travelling Thru Indianapolis--How is the Traffic?

My husband is planning a trip from our home in West Virginia to Wisconsin. I mapped it out so he can avoid Chicago traffic, but he will be passing through Indianapolis. He'll enter on I-70 and then switch over to I-74. How bad is the traffic there? Should I try to avoid Indianapolis as well?

He'll be pulling a horse trailer, making a non-stop trip, and we would like to avoid traffic jams, or heavy traffic with hold-ups. Also, are there any tolls we should know about? (Mapquest didn't mention any).

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 08:24 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,063 posts, read 3,154,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela_g View Post
My husband is planning a trip from our home in West Virginia to Wisconsin. I mapped it out so he can avoid Chicago traffic, but he will be passing through Indianapolis. He'll enter on I-70 and then switch over to I-74. How bad is the traffic there? Should I try to avoid Indianapolis as well?

He'll be pulling a horse trailer, making a non-stop trip, and we would like to avoid traffic jams, or heavy traffic with hold-ups. Also, are there any tolls we should know about? (Mapquest didn't mention any).

Thanks!
No tolls. On the west side, when you switch from 1-70 to I-74 (on 465) there is construction, but I've not had any back ups at all and I travel through there every day.

Don't know about the east side on 70, I think there is construction over there to; perhaps an east side can advise.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 42,102 times
They'll take I-465 North. Thanks so much . It will be in November when they make the trip.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:36 PM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,063 posts, read 3,154,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela_g View Post
They'll take I-465 North. Thanks so much . It will be in November when they make the trip.
I'd also like to say, I do a lot of driving, all over the midwest and when "traffic" and Indianapolis don't go together. I've never ever been in a jam here and I've lived here 20 years. Anytime I've ever had to stop for a long time, it's because of an injury accident; I don't think Indy and traffic. That is one of the good things about Indy. Heavy at 5pm when the universe goes home, but nothing like I've seen in Denver or LA.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:09 AM

39 posts, read 184,115 times
The traffic in Indianapolis is not bad, compared to places like Atlanta or Dallas that have tremendous amounts of urban sprawl. My wife and I have noticed it is possible to drive on most major freeways at speed, even in "traditional rush hours."

There are some changes occurring, albeit slowly. As people move to the north side in droves, I-69 is starting to fill to capacity and regularly slow down. This is a bit of a commute and images I see of the traffic remind me of the race to and from Dallas suburban areas that got so old. What is the INDot solution to this? Let's build more highway lanes... Any good civil engineer knows this is only a bandaid fix that allows people to commute from a greater distance.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:39 AM

486 posts, read 1,202,465 times
It totally depends on what time you are driving through Indy. I'm 18 and my father moved to Indianapolis from Lexington , KY after my parents divorced so I drive to Indy about every other weekend to see him and it makes a world of difference what time you are driving through the city. I 70 is a complete mess right now due to the super- 70 project which won't be finished for about another year. Because of this, traffic from I 70 is diverted onto I 465 and traffic from about 4- 7 PM moves at about a consistent 5 mph. I wouldn't recommend cutting through the city if you don't know your way because for me in the beginning Indianapolis was a little confusing. If you time things right then you'll have no problem driving through the city. Haha good luck!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 PM

6,725 posts, read 7,496,988 times
Comparing Indy to much larger places is fine, however, if you are from a much smaller place, the traffic can be quite intimidating. If you are coming in during rush hour, you are going to encounter traffic jams, albiet small compared to other towns, you still should be aware that it will not be as easy as some folks describe it. I-465, at rush hour between 70 and 74 can get quite congested. I have on occasion creeped along at no better that 5-10 mph for a few miles at a time due to congestion and congestion alone. If you are not coming at rush hour though, the traffic is a breeze assuming normal conditions; and will be far easier than Chicago any time of day.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 PM

937 posts, read 2,220,168 times
When entering Indianapolis take I-465 south and go around the south side of town to I-74 west.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:10 AM

39 posts, read 184,115 times
You did not indicate when you were going on your trip. Be careful on I-70 with the road construction project. The Indiana State Police and Metro Police work traffic very heavy in this construction zone. The speed limit is 45MPH and they mean it. SPECIAL NOTE: No vehicles pulling trailers of any size are allowed on the section under construction. I have heard of and seen people who get cited for simply having a trailer in the construction zone.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,987 times
If you are driving on 465, I-70, or 65 between 3:30 p.m. and 5:45 p.m., be prepared to take a sedative beforehand. If you are planning to drive during those times on the northeast side of Indy, particularly going south on 465 on the east side, just know that often, if I had had a gun, I would have shot myself on that route at those times. Watch out for on-rampers going 80 mph while merging into four lanes of bumper to bumper traffic at the same speed. Sometimes, cars look like an ocean from one horizon to the other. Other days, it's steady traffic. It depends on what part of the city, what day, and what time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis