Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times

Advertisements

Back to the bill, it passed today's hearing by a vote of 7-2. Voting against the bill was Doug Eckerty who represents zero counties asking for the referendum, and I didn't catch the other no vote. The general consensus among those on the fence seemed to be that they wanted to pass it along to keep the conversation going.

I didn't get to listen to whole hearing, but the opponents brought in a guy from the Cato Institute, who said Indianapolis doesn't need transit because it is growing faster than Minneapolis and St. Louis. There was also a guy who represented the "Hamilton County Patriots" whose contributions were "oh i know there was something else" and "i just don't like it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
I still feel like Indianapolis can just do this on its own without Hamilton County if the bill can't get past the statehouse. Don't get me wrong, if this fails in the Senate I will be pissed, but if Indianapolis really cares about transit the road doesn't stop here. Ballard and the city-county council have all the power in the world to raise Indianapolis income taxes .03% to fund the transit system.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:09 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I would toll 465 all sides. That would irk a lot of people but it's all good, maybe .25c. Keep in mind the sunshine bridge from St. Pete heading down to Sarasota is like $1.25 one way and we won't even discuss the skyway or 294.

Hmmmm... sounds remarkably similar to my idea:

"...How to pay for this system, and help maintain it? I would put toll booths on every interstate at the Marion county lines. Fifty cents to enter the county and $0.50 to leave the county wouldn't be a terrible strain, but $1.00 to enter and exit the county via the interstates would help speed along the accumulation of funds needed for this transit plan. Fifty cents to get on 465, no charge to exit. I would also put toll booths on the Interstates entering and exiting the state. The only vehicles allowed to COMPLETELY bypass the toll booths, at any level, would be semi-trucks and official work vehicles (UPS, Comcast, Ed's Chicken Wing Wagon, and the like). Of course some sort of pre-paid unlimited pass could be sold on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis to non commercial vehicles..."

From this thread (that is now closed): http://www.city-data.com/forum/india...lly-works.html

But this thread is open: http://www.city-data.com/forum/india...-take-two.html

Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I still feel like Indianapolis can just do this on its own without Hamilton County if the bill can't get past the statehouse. Don't get me wrong, if this fails in the Senate I will be pissed, but if Indianapolis really cares about transit the road doesn't stop here. Ballard and the city-county council have all the power in the world to raise Indianapolis income taxes .03% to fund the transit system.
Actually, Marion County will still need the approval of the General Assembly to raise COIT. But as I understand the referendum, if Hamilton County votes no while Marion votes yes, Indy Connect stops at 96th Street.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Back to the bill, it passed today's hearing by a vote of 7-2. Voting against the bill was Doug Eckerty who represents zero counties asking for the referendum, and I didn't catch the other no vote. The general consensus among those on the fence seemed to be that they wanted to pass it along to keep the conversation going.

I didn't get to listen to whole hearing, but the opponents brought in a guy from the Cato Institute, who said Indianapolis doesn't need transit because it is growing faster than Minneapolis and St. Louis. There was also a guy who represented the "Hamilton County Patriots" whose contributions were "oh i know there was something else" and "i just don't like it."

+1... even though I can't give it... later though...

Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,056,642 times
There is NO way Hamilton County residents would vote no if it was on a ballot... There are many Hamilton County residents such as myself who commute 30-45 minutes everyday to downtown Indianapolis and back for work and 75% of us would love a viable transit system and would use it. I know I would... Aside from that, a mass transit system would only help with economic development and growth of Indy metro area looking 10-20 years down the road when energy prices are even higher than they are now. Also, it would allow Indy to compete with other cities for various companies and people who may consider moving here... It would only add to Indy's image and its sophistication as well looking down the road.

Growing up in DC area, I love the metro there and used it all the time.. To this day when I visit, I always just take the train. I think a viable mass transit system should be big on any city's agenda that's looking for growth, economic development and competative edge looking years down the road. It's mind buggling that most politicians around here are too ignorant to get it and don't see it as being an important part of Indy taking the next big step to become a great city. Charlotte would be a great example!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Actually, Marion County will still need the approval of the General Assembly to raise COIT.
Well, that's unfortunate. Still, I feel like there has to be some way to bypass the state. I guess that's just my wishful thinking. Maybe Indianapolis should just ignore Indiana law and attempt to secede from the state

Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
I think it will be Marion County that votes no ... Hamilton would vote yes, particularly the people in Fishers.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I think it will be Marion County that votes no ... Hamilton would vote yes, particularly the people in Fishers.
Yes i can see mc voting no to their own detriment. Think people are complaining about gas and lack of jobs now. Wait a few years when the city is behind its peers, higher energy prices and overlooked because the city doesn't offer what's needed and a company like lilly looks to relocate because of it.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Well, that's unfortunate. Still, I feel like there has to be some way to bypass the state. I guess that's just my wishful thinking. Maybe Indianapolis should just ignore Indiana law and attempt to secede from the state
There's no home rule under Indiana law. And, yes, that sucks for Indy and a few other municipalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis