Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:33 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times

Advertisements

As someone who currently lives in a neighborhood which boasts one of the highest hipster per capita density ratios on the planet, I can tell you first hand that Indy isn't missing that much. Hipsters, as a rule, are harmless, a bit colorful and engaging at times - but one can grow weary of their PBR-swilling, bicycling everywhere, vegan ways pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
As someone who currently lives in a neighborhood which boasts one of the highest hipster per capita density ratios on the planet, I can tell you first hand that Indy isn't missing that much. Hipsters, as a rule, are harmless, a bit colorful and engaging at times - but one can grow weary of their PBR-swilling, bicycling everywhere, vegan ways pretty quickly.
Hipsters don't bother me as they're people too. They just have a different way of expressing themselves as some other groups do. I pretty much look beyond the externals and see the person for who they really are on the inside which is more genuine to me.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Really? I have a friend that's starting a business in Bloomington while in college and he is a complete stoner. He's thinking of moving to Indianapolis soon. Should I tell him to forget about it because Indy doesn't want him? I think your ignorance is showing. Don't knock on something until you've given it a chance
Oh, there's no shortage of stoners in Indy, that's for sure. They just aren't hipsters

Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
I don't see why being a hipster is a bad thing...not that I am one.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I don't see why being a hipster is a bad thing...not that I am one.
It's not, but I don't believe a sudden influx of hipsters will magically improve the local economy. Therefore, why should we care if they aren't present in significant numbers?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 AM

144 posts, read 342,241 times
This is not necessarily a good or bad thing, but the article makes it significantly clear that they believe it to be a good thing.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:46 AM

88 posts, read 93,955 times
Truth be told, I see it as a very good thing. I'm in Indy a lot for work and don't see a ton of hipsters even in the trendy neighborhoods. They are completely harmless, but are funny in a way because while they think they are somehow different or unique, they are total drones.

Be glad they aren't found in high numbers there.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
I have primarily seen them in Fountain Square and increasingly Irvington. I don't visit Broad Ripple as often as I used to, but I never remember seeing that many up there. South Broad Ripple though, I've seen a few there.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have primarily seen them in Fountain Square and increasingly Irvington. I don't visit Broad Ripple as often as I used to, but I never remember seeing that many up there. South Broad Ripple though, I've seen a few there.
Broad Ripple is pretty preppy, or at least used to be when I lived in Indy. Even though there are probably a couple of dive joints off of the main strip where they hang out.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It's not, but I don't believe a sudden influx of hipsters will magically improve the local economy. Therefore, why should we care if they aren't present in significant numbers?
As much hate as hipsters get, they have a proven track record of catalyzing gentrification. Hipsters like to be at the very cutting edge (and they're generally on a budget) so they aren't as afraid as yuppies to venture into more questionable urban neighborhoods. Before you know it, those questionable/edgy/seedy neighborhoods are now the place to go, the floodgates are opened for the yuppies who bring their $$ with them, and chic restaurants, boutiques and other artsy little alcoves are opening daily. The yuppies get the benefit of living in a neighborhood they think is cool, the city benefits from having +1 safe neighborhood with more business, and the hipsters get the benefit of saying they lived there before it was cool, which of course epitomizes what being a hipster is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis