U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 AM

39 posts, read 112,150 times
Of course everything is because of what humans choose to do or not do. My point is...which is more of a priority? Building a stadium or using that money to go towards bettering the schools, putting money into helping rebuild neighborhoods to thus help reduce crime, etc? If we are getting pinched for taxes that may be more understandable if some of these issues were better addressed.

Building this stadium while everything else is going to Hell in a handbasket seems to me like buying a Porsche while being unable to pay for your utilities. With poor schools systems and higher crime rates than before, do you think that really encourages individuals to relocate to our city? HELL NO!! No one said anything about eradicating crime, obviously, that is not possible. But, a double digit increase...not so great especially when this merger was supposed to be CHEAPER. I personally LOVE to pay more in taxes when the crime rates are increasing. Makes perfect sense.

Gee, great stadium but crappy schools and unsafe streets. What is the first thing people ask on this forum when considering relocation? If they have children it's "how is the school system". That's why no one wants to live in Indy...it's all Hamilton county/Boone County burbs.

I don't think that we necessarily need to pump more money into IPS because they have some issues with the money they do get. But, with all of the other ills, was building the stadium the best and brightest way to spend our money? My biggest problem is being taxed and taxed and taxed and yet I don't see any benefit in site. Keep my taxes where they were and then have awful schools and crime, etc, blah blah as you say. But, paying more for nothing?

How do you reduce the human element of a criminal mindset? Better education, using money to go towards bettering neighborhoods (which Peterson took away some of the neighborhood programs that were in place through his predecessor). This is totally my point. Lets deal with putting our money into helping these areas.

I find it funny that you say blah blah crime and blah blah schools. Would that be because you don't have children in IPS and/or because you have not had a personal experience with crime? If you were directly affected by these, I would bet that they would become a much bigger priority that bringing more revenue to big business through the stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM

83 posts, read 286,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCarrie View Post

I find it funny that you say blah blah crime and blah blah schools. Would that be because you don't have children in IPS and/or because you have not had a personal experience with crime? If you were directly affected by these, I would bet that they would become a much bigger priority that bringing more revenue to big business through the stadium.
Born and raised in Gary, Indiana; mom has spent almost 40 years teaching in the Gary Schools. Have had more personal experiences with crime than I care to talk about. Never said that crime wasn't a priority, but I prefer to not just bash government for every ill that happens in a city. IPS, like any other school system, is what parents, kids and administrators make of it. Even kid going to an IPS school is not automatcally screwed for life, just like every kid that goes to Hamilton SE or Carmel schools are automatically on the path to greatness. Same for Warren, Pike, Wayne townships, I have relatives and friends who've graduated from schools in thoes townships and they are in college, working and being productive. Yes, IPS can use a shot in the arm, but to blame the city for all it's ills is wrong, IMO.

I agree, better neighborhoods contribute to a better quality of life, but without jobs, it's not possible. If the doughnut burbs, and the citizens that inhabit them lost their jobs, do you think they'd be as well off as they are currently? That's the biggest issue in the urban core, IMO.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Well, here's my thought about that. If I really and truly believed that the main intent in building the stadium was to create jobs, then that might be one thing. Call me cynical, though. I think it just makes the small percentage of Indy's very wealthy even wealthier.

I think that people in Indy love football and they have a soft spot in their hearts for the Colts. Nothing wrong with that. I think it is nice that the Superbowl put us on the map. Unfortunately, in my opinion, I don't think that building the stadium was the most fiscally responsible thing we could have done. I think that by me not being a football fan, I can't take some of the sentimental feelings out of the equation. Or maybe that just makes me more irritated about getting taxed for it, not sure.

I can't say I blame government for all of our woes. But, beyond voting for the best candidate and standing up and saying we are wronged when an elected official doesn't speak for the people, I hardly see where we can not blame the government for many of the ills this city is incurring.

My biggest issue with our state and local government right now is that it seems to spend and spend and then try and figure out later how to come up with this money. Their answer has been to tax us every which way from Friday. Call me crazy, but it would be nice for them to...hold on to your seats....set a budget and stick to it!!

So, Purdue, are you going to stick with Peterson?

Old 11-02-2007, 01:38 PM

57 posts, read 156,435 times
New stadiums do not create real jobs. I mean, sure, there will be low-paying, part-time, seasonal work for a handful of people, but it doesn't really benefit the average citizen. Each time I hear some news reporter remark how such and such convention or sports events is bring so much money into the local economy, I wonder where my share of the profit is. I mean, they taxed me to pay for it. I'm not looking for a job cleaning hotel rooms or waiting tables. I'm not a cheerleader (but aren't they unpaid, anyway?). So where is my share?

When the city takes my tax dollars to fund special interest projects for people who already have more money than I do, it makes me angry. It makes me angrier still when I see them allowing the rest of the city fall into disrepair because, hey, I have to live here (for now). I'm not just visiting. I'm not just speeding down Meridian Street on the weekend to attend a game or some other special event then running home to my home in a vinyl village on the outskirts of the city.

And it does matter that they put money into frivolous projects rather than those that will help the city advance. When schools aren't properly supported, students don't learn. When students don't learn, companies will not locate jobs that pay livable wages here. When people cannot get good jobs and find ways to get ahead legally, they either turn to illegal means, fall into despair and self-hatred, or try to escape through drugs and alcohol. When people know that no one gives a damn about them or their future, they begin to devalue themselves. When people are constantly told they are inferior, they begin to live down to those expectations. It is the hopelessness left in the wake of an economic vacuum and gross socioeconomic disparity which causes crime.

Can some people keep their head and make it through anyway? Sure. But that up by the bootstraps myth is just that-- a myth.

It is far more complicated than "bad people" versus "good people". If only life were that simplistic, eh.

Last edited by escapeartist; 11-02-2007 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 PM

57 posts, read 156,435 times
I also want to add that this isn't just an IPS problem. I heard on the news last night that Washington Township, the wealthiest township within city limits, is also planning to close three schools because of funding shortfalls.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:13 PM

83 posts, read 286,627 times
IndyCarrie and escapeartist, I agree with most of what you both are saying. All I'm saying is their has to be a happy medium between maintaining a safe, well-educated city, and one that attracts businesses, tourists, and has amenities that generate significant tax-revenue and give a city identity.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,063 posts, read 3,156,858 times
I dreamt of Bart Peterson writing a resume.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 AM

17,577 posts, read 24,254,549 times
Default Holy Shooo-molies!!!

What an election!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 AM

I really hope things start to get better. Next it's Daniels' turn!!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:06 PM

17,577 posts, read 24,254,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCarrie View Post
I really hope things start to get better. Next it's Daniels' turn!!
Never happen IC ...never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis