Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 04:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinburbank View Post
Hi, I too am in the process of moving to indy somewhere. I am from the southwest burbs of Chicago and am so confused as to where to buy a house at. I dont want to be too rual but do want at least 1/4 acre of land not much more. I need all the big city advantages like being only a very short drive to wallmart stores etc. and I want a decent size house . I have been looking for at least 2 months but am really worried about the drug problems and crime . I have a good relator and thought I found the perfect house in New Castle Ind but then I googled it and its too rual and super high crime. Can any one give me any suggestions? Im so torn between Ohio and Indiana I am just so fed up with the taxes in Illinois I am done! I already sold me house and have to find a new one soon.
Franklin or decatur townships on the south side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Franklin or decatur townships on the south side.
UGH, really? He's coming from a really nice suburban area. I'm sorry, but those townships are not exactly at the same level he is coming from.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
UGH, really? He's coming from a really nice suburban area. I'm sorry, but those townships are not exactly at the same level he is coming from.
Then you obviously don't know anything about those townships.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times
Yes I do, unfortunately I live in Franklin township. Nowhere near in the same class as southwest suburbs of Chicago. Carmel (especially so), Fishers (where I used to live) are far more so up the ladder so to speak than those two townships. Sorry, but you're wrong!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
yea, I have to agree with T on this one ... coming from Oak Park to Decatur or Franklin twp ... not that there's anything wrong with either, but they are most definitely not in the same league as OP/RF.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Yes I do, unfortunately I live in Franklin township. Nowhere near in the same class as southwest suburbs of Chicago. Carmel (especially so), Fishers (where I used to live) are far more so up the ladder so to speak than those two townships. Sorry, but you're wrong!
When I was relocating from Illinois to the Indy area my realtor tried to interest me in homes in Franklin township. He compared it to living in Carmel. My realtor had obviously never been to the SW suburbs....

Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 AM

622 posts, read 1,196,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinburbank View Post
Hi, I too am in the process of moving to indy somewhere. I am from the southwest burbs of Chicago and am so confused as to where to buy a house at. I dont want to be too rual but do want at least 1/4 acre of land not much more. I need all the big city advantages like being only a very short drive to wallmart stores etc. and I want a decent size house . I have been looking for at least 2 months but am really worried about the drug problems and crime . I have a good relator and thought I found the perfect house in New Castle Ind but then I googled it and its too rual and super high crime. Can any one give me any suggestions? Im so torn between Ohio and Indiana I am just so fed up with the taxes in Illinois I am done! I already sold me house and have to find a new one soon.

where will you be working? what's your budget?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogles View Post
It does exist, just in very small pockets. We have one park (Canterbury) within extremely short walking distance and three others (61st & Broadway, Broad Ripple, and Arsenal) a short bike ride away. Plus there are the basketball courts, a kickball court, and baseball/softball fields behind School 85 (on 54th just east of the Monon) we can use in the evenings. We're also a block away from the Monon.

There are tons of walkable restaurants (Zest, Mama Corolla's, Good Morning Mama's, Jazz Kitchen, Fat Dan's, 20 Tap, Yat's, Sam's Gyros, Moe & Johnny's, The Aristocrat, Delicia, SoBro Cafe, Taste, Sinking Ship, Recess/Room 4, Napolese, Barking Dog Cafe, & Binkley's), plus two walkable grocers (Fresh Market & Locally Grown Gardens). We don't do the bulk of our grocery shopping at those places, but when you only need a few things it's easier to justify going there when you don't have to get in the car to do it. There isn't much in the way of real shopping outside of a few boutiques in Broad Ripple like you'd find along, for example, Milwaukee/Damen in Wicker Park, but outside of that we have everything we need within walking distance.

We don't have kids yet, but we have every intention of sending future little ones to the CFI @ 57th and Central. We're within that supposed magic radius of being all but guaranteed admittance as long as you apply before the cut-off, so fingers crossed there.

I don't know what the solution is to getting into the magnet programs, but it's at least worth investigating if the suburban lifestyle isn't what you want for your family.

thanks. i'll have to check it out if brownsburg drives me too crazy.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 PM

19 posts, read 40,331 times
We found a place in Zionsville. That's the place for us. Carmel was too big and Fishers was too.... plain. Nothing against Fishers.

Hopefully, God willing, everything comes through and we will be Hoosiers once again. I'll miss Chi city and especially Oak Park, but it feels good to be back home.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Oak Park View Post
We found a place in Zionsville. That's the place for us. Carmel was too big and Fishers was too.... plain. Nothing against Fishers.

Hopefully, God willing, everything comes through and we will be Hoosiers once again. I'll miss Chi city and especially Oak Park, but it feels good to be back home.

Load up on Vitners chips and Vienna Beef hot dogs before you move. I'm going back to the city soon and can't wait to replenish my stash of a bunch of items.

We enjoy living here but the grocery store leave a bit to be desired. My wife went to Meijer the other day and asked the lady at the deli for some prosciutto. Deli lady had no idea what that was.

*facepalm*

I miss my Caputos!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis