Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:31 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times

Advertisements

Shapiro's Deli (Indy and Carmel locations), Papa Joe Jr's (Avon), Capital Grille (downtown, a chain but excellent steaks in my experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 AM

83 posts, read 180,822 times
Dawson's on Main Street in Speedway is a traditional stop for Indianapolis 500 fans.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:58 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
...This place is on west 10th street. Mug-n-Bun

Best donuts in the city are at Long's Bakery, which is just east of the Speedway at 16th and Tremont.

You have your pick of the litter of bland chains if you cross into nearby Avon. The best food in Indianapolis is not on the west side.
The best root beer and doughnuts are on the Westside.

Don't sell Indy short in doughnuts and root beer.

Mug N' Bun and Long's are fantastic.

When I used to work in Indy my boss used to joke about landing on 16th Street just to get some doughnuts.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

I used to live 5 minutes walking (NOT DRIVING) from there. Regretfully I haven't been there yet.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 PM

632 posts, read 932,903 times
Long's dougnuts!
Puccini's Pizza on the Northside.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:10 PM

261 posts, read 500,942 times
There are a ton of great restaurants all over the city. What kind of food do you want? How much are you willing to spin? I second those who recommend Long's. That's a must.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 893 times
Found this the other day:
[mod]link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed[/mod]

Seems pretty accurate to me. Would love some Bazbeaux's Pizza right now.

Last edited by Yac; 04-08-2014 at 07:26 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 PM

218 posts, read 462,662 times
The restaurant scene in Indianapolis really seems to have improved in the last 5 years or so. Prior to that, Indy was notorious for being a test market and having an unusually high proportion of national chains. Many of the chains are still there, but lots of local mom-and-pops have started springing up in key neighborhoods.

And in some cases, the locals are putting the chains out of business. Witness the fact with the (now fading) froyo craze: Orange Leaf closed its location on S. Delaware, while it appears the Mass Ave location won't open up. Meanwhile, local Yogulatte still does solid business, and Pearings downtown has expanded far beyond just the yogurt offerings.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwen333 View Post
Found this the other day:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Seems pretty accurate to me. Would love some Bazbeaux's Pizza right now.
I am kind of surprised to see one of these internet lists show up and actually list some good places instead of those that are just popular. La Parada is far and away my favorite place for Mexican food. Red Lion has very good pub food. I still, though, don't get Bazbeaux. Has to be the most over-hyped place I have ever been.

Last edited by Yac; 04-08-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 AM

67 posts, read 134,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am kind of surprised to see one of these internet lists show up and actually list some good places instead of those that are just popular. La Parada is far and away my favorite place for Mexican food. Red Lion has very good pub food. I still, though, don't get Bazbeaux. Has to be the most over-hyped place I have ever been.
I've eaten as Bazbeaux a few times, that was in the late 80s/early 90s.
Back in those days, Bazbeaux was pretty cutting edge with their pizzas/toppings, compared to what
most people though about when they thought of pizza.
I bet this place seemed pretty far out at the time for average Joes, but really reached out to the segment of food adventurers and built a cult following.
To be honest, I thought their pizza was pretty good, but for me, wasn't all that memorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis