Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,123,035 times

Advertisements

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...roject-hearing

I will preface this and say I am not a BRV resident so my perspective is different. Who would of thought getting rid of a run down closed graffiti gas station would have such a backlash from broad ripple residents. While I'm not to keen on the design, the village definitely needs a makeover. I don't see how they can complain about big business since there's chains galore in Broad Ripple now. The apartments are cruddy at best and no where appealing to new renters looking to move.

I gather BRV residents will complain and complain until, businesses start looking more at Mass Ave and Fountain Square who will be more than welcoming leaving the village to wilt away to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post

I gather BRV residents will complain and complain until, businesses start looking more at Mass Ave and Fountain Square who will be more than welcoming leaving the village to wilt away to nothing.
I think that is a little over dramatic.........the village is not going anywhere.

It is a nice idea to keep the village a place where local business is allowed to thrive, but I do think that shipped has sailed.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM

4,966 posts, read 6,228,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I think that is a little over dramatic.........the village is not going anywhere.

It is a nice idea to keep the village a place where local business is allowed to thrive, but I do think that shipped has sailed.
Agreed. There's already a Buffalo Wild Wings, CVS, Applebees, Subway, Noodles & Company, McDonalds, Starbucks, probably more chains that I can't think of off the top of my head right on the strip. I would think anything is better than the abandoned gas station that sits there as an eyesore, but then again, I don't live there.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,588,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

Exactly, if the people who are so vocal were genuine in wanting to keep Broad Ripple local, I would definitely be on their side. The problem is that it seems the loudest opponent is a small grocer whose business is down the street. It shows he really only cares about his business' vitality instead of the overall feel of the village. If he really cared, he should have been screaming every time a chain moved in.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM

53 posts, read 133,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Exactly, if the people who are so vocal were genuine in wanting to keep Broad Ripple local, I would definitely be on their side. The problem is that it seems the loudest opponent is a small grocer whose business is down the street. It shows he really only cares about his business' vitality instead of the overall feel of the village. If he really cared, he should have been screaming every time a chain moved in.
The only way to keep a place local is to vote with your feet and your dollars. If nobody shops there, then the big bad national business goes away. As far as I know Whole Foods isn't going to own the property, they'll simply be leasing the space. If some other local company was chomping at the bit to open something there, Browning would listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis