U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 AM

4,802 posts, read 4,066,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Having grown up in Indiana I can attest to a few different accents the state breeds. Southern Indiana and most of the rural areas of central Indiana indeed carry a soft twang, nothing like you'd find in Kentucky though, except Jeffersonville might be close, and the people in more urban cities, like Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, South Bend, Chicagoland area, and the college towns all have the appropriate Midwest accent. It can change fast though, leave South Bend and go to Walkerton or Plymouth and those accents may return.

I've met a few people from Minnesota and can't say they sounded any different, though I've never visited Minneapolis so who knows. Chicagoans born and raised there will often have their unique accent too.
Technically, the standard Midwest/Midland/General American accent isn't spoken in Chicagoland. In fact, when voice coaches teach actors, they don't use Chicago as a point of reference because it's too distinct and nasal. They instead choose more Central Midwest locale as they sound more neutral. Adrianne Curry is an example of this. The way she pronounced "passion" as "peeashun" deviates from Standard American. Our Short A sounds in Chicago are too raised and tensed to ever be considered the Standard as it can be very grating to many people's ears.

The extreme Northwest Region of Indiana has a standard Northern accent influenced by Chicago. I'd say that extends maybe to South Bend. Central Indiana i.e. the 317 region has a twang similar to Central Illinois and Missouri. But it's not a Southern accent. It does share similarities though like the pronunciation of "o". This is what separates Chicago's accent from Indianapolis. Our long O sounds different and so does our short A.

I was talking to someone from Cincy and she said there's what is called a "phone line" wherein the pronunciation of "phone" changes from "phaw-oon" (North) to "phe-ewn" (Midland and South). In that way, lower Midwest accents retain the "Southern o" sound (really it's British). The theory behind why people from most of Pennsylvania south to Georgia and West to Kansas and Oklahoma say it this way is because states further North had so much non-British immigration that the Northern accent became a separate category altogether.

It's interesting to note in Minnesota, this "o" sound becomes so different that in extreme accents it is heard as "aww" like "Minnesawwda" with a Scandinavian flavor.

They say at one point all Midwesterners spoke like each other but around the time the Erie Canal was built and a lot of immigrants came to the North, our accent shifted away from the "standard". Older Chicagoans will sound less nasal when pronouncing their short "a" sounds. So the way Midland people pronounce a word like "jam" or "man" as "jeeam" or "meean", Chicagoans will use that "tense" sound for ALL "short a" sounds. But, the older generation uses it sporadically unless they come from an Eastern European background. For some reason they tend to be more nasal with the letter A. Maybe this is where it came from? Hearing someone with a Polish accent pronounce the letter A makes it sound very nasal.

So this is why certain regions of the Midwest sound different and why someone from Oklahoma doesn't sound like a Minnesotan or why Michiganders don't sound like Kansas people. It goes on a North to South continuum. The closer you get to the South, the more it becomes a drawl. The closer you go North, the more nasal is becomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 AM

8,367 posts, read 14,400,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post
Smh let's deal with the facts. Indy has three professional teams.the Colts,Pacers and the WNBA FEVER.THE Colts have won a super bowl and the Fever have won a title and are about to play for another as I'm texting.Indy has just as playing for one as I text.Indy has as much to offer as Minneapolis. Indy has fountain square Mass ave and broad ripple.these are areas that have culture and don't forget irvington and Lockerbie villiage there's major insurance companies that moved their HQ here and pharmaceutical companies like Lilly and Roach diagnostic. there's shapiros and Vietnamese and Korean Mexican and somolian restaurants opening up all around with your typical Italian and Chinese and now brizilian steak house.there's several malls around the city and the fashion mall has anything you can get at any mall in Minneapolis. look up largest us cities by population and square miles Minneapolis and Louisville aren't close to Indy. Know your facts I could go on and on about Indy and don't forget neither Minneapolis nor Louisville hosted a super bowl
Minneapolis is hosting the Super Bowl in 2018.

Minneapolis/St Paul have 5 major league pro sports to Indy's 3 if we are counting WNBA. Yes, the Fever are in the WNBA Finals. They are playing.......wait for it......the Minnesota (as in Minneapolis) Lynx.

Minny and Louisville both have excellent neighborhoods and restaurants. Minny has better mass transit.

I am not a mall guy, but I bet they all have the same generic malls. Mall of America is the biggest in the US, right outside Minny.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 09-30-2015 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 08:09 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,086,965 times
Indy metro is bigger than Louisville. Minneapolis metro is 3.5MM compared to Indy metro of 1.8MM. STL and Cincy are very comparable in my opinion, btw. Indy and Columbus are very comparable. Minneapolis and Denver are very comparable.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,408,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Indy metro is bigger than Louisville. Minneapolis metro is 3.5MM compared to Indy metro of 1.8MM. STL and Cincy are very comparable in my opinion, btw. Indy and Columbus are very comparable. Minneapolis and Denver are very comparable.
I had no idea the Minn./St. Paul area had that many people. That makes for a decent sized urban and suburban area. What exactly was the draw to that particular area? Are there some large corporate HQs located there? Does anyone know if that area is on the decline, stagnant, or rising?

Old 10-01-2015, 07:29 AM

1,765 posts, read 3,113,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I had no idea the Minn./St. Paul area had that many people. That makes for a decent sized urban and suburban area. What exactly was the draw to that particular area? Are there some large corporate HQs located there? Does anyone know if that area is on the decline, stagnant, or rising?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnea...0%93Saint_Paul

Old 10-01-2015, 09:45 AM

905 posts, read 1,420,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Target is one that comes immediately to mind

Old 10-01-2015, 09:55 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,814,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Target is one that comes immediately to mind
Target, Best Buy, and Ameriprise are three big ones off the top of my head. I believe the tallest building in Minneapolis is the Ameriprise headquarters.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:07 AM

8,367 posts, read 14,400,981 times
Buffalo Wild Wings is now HQ'd in the Minneapolis area as well.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:07 AM

4,924 posts, read 5,084,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I agree Indy and its metro is closer to Cincinnati metro and St. Louis metro than Minny or Louisville.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:51 AM

3,202 posts, read 2,356,343 times
I was born in Kentucky and lived in Muncie for nearly 20 years. Muncie and the towns of Anderon, New Castle, Richmond, Marion, Dunkirk, Gaston, Alexandria, and the rest of East Central Indiana, felt alot like Kentucky to me. Indianapolis always felt a little bit like Kentucky, too,, particulaly, the Southside. Life there just seems to move a little slower and there's not a whole lot of sense of urgency, and that's the way the people like it.

Nothing about Minneapolis reminds me of Indianapolis. I think they are not in the same tier of cities. Mine is in a tier with Seattle and Denver and Indy is in a tier with Kansas City and Austin.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-01-2015 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis