Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 02:45 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,533,959 times

Advertisements

Indianapolis and Minneapolis are both considered to be Midwestern cities, and Louisville is toss-up between Midwest and Southern, but I would say with no uncertainty that culturally, Indianapolis is much more like Louisville than it is Minneapolis. I don't see how or why anybody could or would think anything different. To me, it's a no-brainer.

I think the more controversial question would be is Indianapolis more like Minneapolis or Nashville? or even Charlotte? Or is Louisville more like Indianapolis or Birmingham? Or, is Minneapolis more like Indianapolis or Denver

Indianapolis, Loisiville, and Cincinnati are like triplets, as far as culture, lifestyle, accents, demographics, the business and pleasure going back and forth between the 3. Minneapolis and Indianapolis are not even in the same league or social circles with one another.

I'd even go so far as to say that Minneapolis is more like Boston than it's like Indianapolis.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-25-2015 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 07:22 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,588,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Indianapolis and Minneapolis are both considered to be Midwestern cities, and Louisville is toss-up between Midwest and Southern, but I would say with no uncertainty that culturally, Indianapolis is much more like Louisville than it is Minneapolis. I don't see how or why anybody could or would think anything different. To me, it's a no-brainer.

I think the more controversial question would be is Indianapolis more like Minneapolis or Nashville? or even Charlotte? Or is Louisville more like Indianapolis or Birmingham? Or, is Minneapolis more like Indianapolis or Denver

Indianapolis, Loisiville, and Cincinnati are like triplets, as far as culture, lifestyle, accents, demographics, the business and pleasure going back and forth between the 3. Minneapolis and Indianapolis are not even in the same league or social circles with one another.

I'd even go so far as to say that Minneapolis is more like Boston than it's like Indianapolis.
This is probably the best post of the thread (at least what I can remember of it) in the sense that it's actually thought provoking. If I had more time right now, I'd actually try to analyze your comparisons more. I agree that Indy, Louisville, and Cincy have a lot in common, but I still think Louisville sticks out too much to be considered a "triplet". I definitely could see Indianapolis, Columbus, and Cincinnati being described as triplets. Overall, I guess I basically concur with everything you said.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 12,899 times
I honestly think Indy is more like Minneapolis and here's why.one obvious is cause the names almost similar,they both have professional sports and large venues to hold major events.Indy has a large stadium for the Colts and large convention center.Louisville just built the Yum center and have to be creative to keep it occupied all year.the pacers play there,there's concerts comedy shows and men and women final four events the Indy 500 the brickyard 400 indy has two large pharmaceutical companies,Elly Lilly and Roach Diagnostics,Ups and Fed Ex has huge hubs there and Louisville international airport isn't as big as the new one in Indy. Indy is surrounded by subburbs like most major cities are by design so I feel Indy went for more of the corporate feel and major sports.two totally different cities,way more tourist come to indy.so indy definitely compares to Minneapolis

Last edited by shyGUY0405; 04-06-2016 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: mispelled words

Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Quote:

Accents? Uh, no.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:27 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyGUY0405 View Post
I honestly think Indy is more like Minneapolis and here's why.one obvious is cause the names almost similar,they both have professional sports and large venues to hold major events.Indy has a large stadium for the Colts and large convention center.Louisville just built the Yum center and have to be creative to keep it occupied all year.the pacers play there,there's concerts comedy shows and men and women final four events the Indy 500 the brickyard 400 indy has two large pharmaceutical companies,Elly Lilly and Roach Diagnostics,Ups and Fed Ex has huge hubs there and Louisville international airport isn't as big as the new one in Indy. Indy is surrounded by subburbs like most major cities are by design so I feel Indy went for more of the corporate feel and major sports.two totally different cities,way more tourist come to indy.so indy definitely compares to Minneapolis
So now San Antonio and San Francisco are similar because their names sound similar? Lol, please do not start with that, it's a name only. Birmingham is named after an English city, the EXACT same name, they are very different places.

Louisville has suburbs too, what major city doesn't? Indy has the Indy 500 and Louisville has the Kentucky Dirby. Indy has more professional sports than Minneapolis does, so not the best comparison. Indy really stands alone in the number of professional sports teams it has for a city its size.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:37 AM

918 posts, read 1,688,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So now San Antonio and San Francisco are similar because their names sound similar? Lol, please do not start with that, it's a name only. Birmingham is named after an English city, the EXACT same name, they are very different places.

Louisville has suburbs too, what major city doesn't? Indy has the Indy 500 and Louisville has the Kentucky Dirby. Indy has more professional sports than Minneapolis does, so not the best comparison. Indy really stands alone in the number of professional sports teams it has for a city its size.
Hmmm, no it doesn't.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:14 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,533,959 times
Indiana and Kentucky was settled mostly by English, Scottish and Germans. Minnesota was settled mostly by Scandinavians. That's another reason Indy has more in common with Louisville than it does with Minneapolis.

Otherwise Indianapolis has about as much in common with Minneapolis as it does with Denver and Seattle.

I think a better comparison is Indy more like Kansas City or Louisville?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Hmmm, no it doesn't.
Hmm, you sure?

Minneapolis has:

The Twins for baseball
The Timberwolves for basketball
The Vikings for football
The Wild for hockey

Indianapolis has:

The Indians for baseball (AAA, not MLB)
The Pacers for basektball
The Colts for football
The Fever for WNBA
The Indy Fuel for division 3 hockey
The Indy 11 for soccer
The F.C. Indiana for soccer

Then you have the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400, and while I don't really consider them sports personally, they kind of are.

You were saying?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Indiana and Kentucky was settled mostly by English, Scottish and Germans. Minnesota was settled mostly by Scandinavians. That's another reason Indy has more in common with Louisville than it does with Minneapolis.

Otherwise Indianapolis has about as much in common with Minneapolis as it does with Denver and Seattle.

I think a better comparison is Indy more like Kansas City or Louisville?
Despite the distance, definitely Kansas City.

Kansas City - Indianapolis - Columbus should all be brother and sister.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:14 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Hmm, you sure?

Minneapolis has:

The Twins for baseball
The Timberwolves for basketball
The Vikings for football
The Wild for hockey

Indianapolis has:

The Indians for baseball (AAA, not MLB)
The Pacers for basektball
The Colts for football
The Fever for WNBA
The Indy Fuel for division 3 hockey
The Indy 11 for soccer
The F.C. Indiana for soccer

Then you have the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400, and while I don't really consider them sports personally, they kind of are.

You were saying?
You missed a lot of the Minneapolis offerings. They have a WNBA team. They have a NASL team, soon to be MLS team. They have a WPSL team. Minny has as answer to every item you listed for Indy. The only thing Indy has more of is racing at the track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis