Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM

32 posts, read 158,000 times

Advertisements

Ahhh, yes. We've been through the septic thing before. We had to replace ours in NH. It doesn't scare me. I would get a septic inspected no matter what.

Thanks for the website! That's helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,236,223 times
These are not just "every day" septic issues. These are septic failures due to the topography/geology issues. Not a cheap fix. I think they now require a brand new system, if/when the old system fails. If you look in BC, I would recommend you contact the health department for more information about any house.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM

4,532 posts, read 6,224,722 times
Columbus to Louisville would be an ugly commute, don't ignore the area within a 30-40 mile radius of Louisville, several communities meet your criteria...Salem, Scottsburg, Charlestown, Madision and smaller bergs in between. If access to broadband is a concern, Scottsburg offers an innovative solution to internet access for most of the rural inhabitants...google c3bb for information.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,595,647 times
schools are a concern ...

Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 6,224,722 times
"schools are a concern" ...

Yep, I read that...thanks for pointing that out......again. I also read that a commute to LSVL was being considered....from Columbus....quite a hike from exit 68 to exit 0 and return....I threw out some other communities for chanisco to consider....but thanks.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 PM

7,064 posts, read 16,643,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanisco View Post
Interestingly, my husband is slated to work on some bridges in Louisville long term in a few months, so that living in Columbus might be a good option.
Why move to Indy area if your husband will work mostly in Louisville? I would recommend one of the outstanding Southern Indiana suburbs of Louisville to save your husband a long commute (if you must stay in IN, or just look at Louisville proper).

IMO New Albany and Floyds Knobs IN are among the most beautiful and rejuvenating parts of all of IN, and Floyds Knobs in particular has wonderful schools.

I am not a big fan of the south side of Indy. North suburbs of Indy, like Carmel, are pristine. Even places like Avon are nice. But Greenwood all the way down to Edinburgh? Mehhhh.

Take a strong look at Southern Indiana hill country. I think you will fall in love. Columbus, IN is a real gem. But at over an hour from downtown Louisville with no traffic, it is just not worth the commute. Your husband will go through at least 150 dollars of gas a week even if he has a fuel efficient car.

Louisville is consistently ranked a top city for families:

http://www.parenting.com/gallery/201...ve?pnid=381609

It is also among the healthiest real estate markets:
http://blog.landlordstation.com/top-...kets-for-2013/

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/Mayor/louisville_buzz.htm

Some other nice Southern Indiana towns were mentioned above. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:20 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,236,223 times
Go back and read carefully. The OP's spouse maybe working in Louisville for a period of time, but he will work all over the place as the job sites will change.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,645,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Columbus to Louisville would be an ugly commute, don't ignore the area within a 30-40 mile radius of Louisville, several communities meet your criteria...Salem, Scottsburg, Charlestown, Madision and smaller bergs in between.
No.

I would not recommend any of those towns to the OP.

Louisville will apparently not always be the main location for work.

The towns you mentioned do not meet any of the other needs. Read the whole post.

I actually think Columbus is a great suggestion.

I live in Indy, am also a liberal, also have a child with a disability, and I love Columbus. If I had to live somewhere in Indiana, south of Indy, and a town other than Bloomington, it would be Columbus.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 PM

797 posts, read 2,327,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Go back and read carefully. The OP's spouse maybe working in Louisville for a period of time, but he will work all over the place as the job sites will change.
The bridges project in Louisville isn't slated to be finished until around 2016 something I believe, so the spouse may have work in the area for a while.

To the OP, is there something that made you mention the Indy area specifically? Family ties or something? If not, you really might want to reconsider somewhere closer to Louisville. Your spouse could be working there a while and it's just that much closer if you need to go back to TN to visit. Salem, Scottsburg, Charlestown, Madision were mentioned. I would scratch the first two off for you right away. Charlestown is a nice area, but maybe not quite right for you. Madison is beautiful and centrally located to three major cities where your husband might find work but I don't know about the schooling needs you mentioned there.

Columbus is a great town though kind of flat until you start getting out of town towards Brown County and you may not have a large quantity of housing options available in your price range out that way. I would definitely look into it though if being closer to Indy is a priority. If not, I might suggest just taking a look at the New Albany/Floyd county area. Lots of hills and trees, one of the better school systems in the state, many good food options and plenty of people in the area that won't have a problem with you not being churchy. Also several homes in your range. Again, I just don't know too much specifically about the special ed programs.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 PM

32 posts, read 158,000 times
Hi guys! Thanks for the responses! I didn't see the alerts of your posts until now.

Anyway, you are all so helpful. Thank you! You are right, my husband will not be in Louisville for long. At least I don't think so. His company would like him to be down there for a few years, but from what I can see, the schools are hit or miss (more miss). Eventually he will be around Indy.

I drove through the part of Columbus between 65 and Brown County and it was pretty boring, but I assume like most road off the highway, it doesn't represent the city. Columbus sounds like it would be great logistically. I will look more into it. Maybe something will pop up on the west side near the hills. Thank you!

Oh, also I got to visit Bloomington a couple of weeks ago and really liked it a lot. We're seriously considering it. My husband's boss lives there too, so that might be a good locale.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis