Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

As former resident of Kentucky, I can tell you this much:

If you tell a Kentuckian that Hot Brown is an Indiana food, they will LOL at you for hours and say something along the lines of "you Hoosiers should stop trying to be us."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 PM

17 posts, read 24,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Right, the tenderloin is what is usually known as Indiana's state food. Sugar Cream pie was named the state pie years ago as well. I've heard people say that fried chicken, chicken gravy and mashed potatoes are an Indiana tradition too.

But hot brown? That belongs to Kentucky. I've never seen hot brown on a restaurant menu in Indiana and I travel and dine in every county in the state. That's not to say that it isn't served in some Indiana restaurant somewhere, but it wouldn't be common.

I think very few Hoosiers would know how to prepare hot brown...
I hope and pray that I find employment here. That's my kind of state food!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplephoenix16 View Post
I hope and pray that I find employment here. That's my kind of state food!
To be considered authentic Hoosier fried chicken needs to be cooked in lard in a cast iron skillet.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 PM

36 posts, read 72,738 times
Years back I read in a book on Indiana, not sure of the name now, that our official food is "Hot Brown". I thought the same thing. Hot Brown? That's Kentucky. THEN, I was down in Jasper, IN one day and heard two older gentlemen talking about Indiana foods and one actually mentioned a hot brown. BUT, apparently the hot brown is big in Indiana. Tommy Lancaster's was voted the best place for a hot brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Never even heard of it until it was mentioned here. A quick search and wondering how could this be considered an "Indiana" thing, Hot Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2013, 04:54 PM

If you go up to NW Indiana they'll look at you with amazement and say, "tenderloin?" . I would think that the tenderloin is more central Indiana.

Even Bobby Flay mentioned that the corn dog is Indiana's food. So, what is it? Tenderloin? Sugar Cream Pie? Onion Pie? Corn Dog? Hot Brown? Corn? I doubt we have one that the entire state would agree on. Maybe up in the NW area, the Chicago dog might be the unofficial food. Here in Indy, maybe the tenderloin. Maybe in New Albany, the hot brown. Valpo...popcorn. What is Indiana's (the state) most famous food? | ChaCha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Please cite this if you can. I've never in a million years heard anyone say that our state food is the "hot brown", or the corn dog.

I'd say most people who grew up here pretty clearly would argue that most quintessential Hoosier meal is a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM

I don't want to spend the money. I can do a lot with $600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Museum Schedule

Grounds Tours Schedule

If you are feeling brave and have the money, you can ride in an IndyCar.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 PM

I like cast iron for sure. So, sounds like Hoosiers are on the right track. Just make sure to season the pans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
To be considered authentic Hoosier fried chicken needs to be cooked in lard in a cast iron skillet.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:18 PM

News for you. A lot of us are you. There's a reason they call Noblesville "Nobletucky" and Martinsville "Martintucky". A lot of Hoosiers trace roots back to Kentucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
As former resident of Kentucky, I can tell you this much:

If you tell a Kentuckian that Hot Brown is an Indiana food, they will LOL at you for hours and say something along the lines of "you Hoosiers should stop trying to be us."

Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeedoodle View Post
If you go up to NW Indiana they'll look at you with amazement and say, "tenderloin?" . I would think that the tenderloin is more central Indiana.

Even Bobby Flay mentioned that the corn dog is Indiana's food. So, what is it? Tenderloin? Sugar Cream Pie? Onion Pie? Corn Dog? Hot Brown? Corn? I doubt we have one that the entire state would agree on. Maybe up in the NW area, the Chicago dog might be the unofficial food. Here in Indy, maybe the tenderloin. Maybe in New Albany, the hot brown. Valpo...popcorn. What is Indiana's (the state) most famous food? | ChaCha
Nwi people know what a tenderloin is. Used to be a favorite at the lake county fair. Sugar cream pie, not really. Tasted one recently and way to sweet for me.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Years back I read in a book on Indiana, not sure of the name now, that our official food is "Hot Brown". I thought the same thing. Hot Brown? That's Kentucky. THEN, I was down in Jasper, IN one day and heard two older gentlemen talking about Indiana foods and one actually mentioned a hot brown. BUT, apparently the hot brown is big in Indiana. Tommy Lancaster's was voted the best place for a hot brown.
Tommy Lancaster's is in New Albany, a suburb of Louisville. Louisville, of course, being the birthplace of the Hot Brown. It stands to reason a suburb of Louisville would have a place that sells a Hot Brown. How that somehow projects to the entire state..........no idea. Jasper is a German enclave, I don't know of any place in Jasper that sells a hot brown, or is known for it. If you have examples, educate me.

Quote:
Bobby Flay is from New York. As far as I know, he has never lived in Indiana.

Upon further review, it sounds like the Bobby Flay corn dog incident was during Super Bowl 41. He was asked to create dishes that represented each location. His Indiana creation was a corn dog. So, there you go.

Quote:
News for you. A lot of us are you. There's a reason they call Noblesville "Nobletucky" and Martinsville "Martintucky". A lot of Hoosiers trace roots back to Kentucky.
I don't trace my roots to Kentucky, it was a pit stop between places. I do have a lot of friends in the commonwealth, and the hot brown is a point of pride for a lot of them. Because...........it is a Kentucky thing. It is like bourbon to them.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 07-11-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis