Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,457 times

Advertisements

Full disclosure, I'm a native Hoosier. Moved away to Michigan and then Chicago before moving here in March.

Of all the things I miss about Chicago, perhaps none ranks higher than the ability of Chicago drivers to avoid wasting my time at a 4-way stop sign. People around here pull up to the stop sign and sit there watching me or other drivers slow down, even though I'm clearly indicating intent to come to a stop at the intersection.

A reasonable driver would recognize the fact that the other person obviously plans on obeying the stop sign, and proceed through the intersection. Here in the Indy metro area, the drivers wait until the other driver is completely stopped before taking off.

Drives me crazy!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:20 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
I hate people that are cautious too. Any time someone stops at a yellow light, I get out of the car and punch them in the face.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,457 times
to be fair, i'm sure it's not all hoosiers. just a good amount of the ones i encounter on the west side/brownsburg/avon. and maybe i'm just pissed i had to spend almost $350 putting my kids in public school yesterday. the books are really that expensive? sigh...

Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
All four way stops should be replaced with roundabouts. Traffic flows so much better and quicker on Keystone, Spring Mill, Hazel Dell, and all the other streets that have replaced four way stops and traffic lights with roundabouts.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
A reasonable driver would recognize the fact that the other person obviously plans on obeying the stop sign, and proceed through the intersection. Here in the Indy metro area, the drivers wait until the other driver is completely stopped before taking off.

Drives me crazy!!!!
I had an idiot run through the stop sign once not paying attention hitting me on my motorcycle because they didn't bother to look left when I was already in the intersection with the right away. I don't trust anyone on the street and never assume the "fact" they will always stop or let alone know I'm even there. The person could be on drugs or looking at the phone in a catatonic state for all I know. I've driven in every city in the country (minus 3 states). Never trust anyone on the road. (especially in Jersey) I don't care if I'm seem as rude but if you don't see me coming you will regardless of what state plates you have on.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 AM

26 posts, read 41,335 times
What really chaps my back side is drivers who are first in line at a red light where you're aloud to turn right on red and they go straight. So those of us who want to turn right, have to set thru a red light because somebody first in line is being inconsiderate. Sometimes the longer i sit still the more I have to p. Im an old man and it aint always easy to hold it, especially sitting at a red light that seems to never turn.

Another thing that chaps my back side, is when Im at a red light and the light turns green and the vehicle behind me honks his horn because I didn't pull out the very split second the light turned green. Sometimes my reflexes aren't real fast. More times than not those people that honk I have noticed have illinoise plates. I recon they must be from Chicago. or one of it's "burbs" as they call to call em up there. never the less, it's very rude.

Another pet peeve of mine, lets say I'm going 40 miles an hour in the right lane, and a driver hurry's pass me then switches lanes into mine and gets in front of me then immediately slows down to about 5 or 10 miles an hour and makes a right turn.

Now that I vented i feel much better. It's almost like having a good bowel movement first thing in the morning.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 AM

285 posts, read 385,997 times
You know what chaps my back side? Semis that pass each other in the left lane, but do not speed up in order to complete the pass expeditiously. I imagine it's to conserve fuel, but it is quite annoying. I love the parade lines that form because of this.

About to head down to Indy from Chicago in a couple hours. Can't wait to experience this on 65 South!

Virgil, us Yankees do everything quickly, and get annoyed when others don't do the same. We have little patience because nobody else has patience up here. When we head South, it is noticeable that lots of people do things SLOWLY (which isn't a bad thing). It is a fault of ours and will probably shave a couple years off our lives, with the increased blood pressure and all. Some of us make the adjustment; I'm trying.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Don't mind me prost. I like to kid the people from Chicago. I have 2 grandkids who live outside of Chicago matter of fact. I think we went there twice when 2 of are great grandkids was borned. we might have went 3 times. I aint for sure. id have to ask my wife. she would know. she keeps up with stuff like that. I just don't like to go there because its so busy and driving in all that traffic makes me nervous. That's the same reason I don't like to go to Houston or LA or Austin to visit are other kids and grandkids. I got honked at in Houston and had to get off the interstate and drove on the frontage road where it wasn't so fast paced and ever body zooming past me like thers no tomorrow. I don't want to get off the topic of this thread. Im sorry for that if I did but I wanted to answer you back. you seem like a real nice person.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
What really chaps my back side is drivers who are first in line at a red light where you're aloud to turn right on red and they go straight. So those of us who want to turn right, have to set thru a red light because somebody first in line is being inconsiderate. Sometimes the longer i sit still the more I have to p. Im an old man and it aint always easy to hold it, especially sitting at a red light that seems to never turn.

Another thing that chaps my back side, is when Im at a red light and the light turns green and the vehicle behind me honks his horn because I didn't pull out the very split second the light turned green. Sometimes my reflexes aren't real fast. More times than not those people that honk I have noticed have illinoise plates. I recon they must be from Chicago. or one of it's "burbs" as they call to call em up there. never the less, it's very rude.

Another pet peeve of mine, lets say I'm going 40 miles an hour in the right lane, and a driver hurry's pass me then switches lanes into mine and gets in front of me then immediately slows down to about 5 or 10 miles an hour and makes a right turn.

Now that I vented i feel much better. It's almost like having a good bowel movement first thing in the morning.
Are you talking about people that go straight through in a right-turn only lane? Or are you talking about people in the right-lane of a multi-lane road that legally go straight? If it's the latter, it's not inconsiderate at all. Is everyone supposed to get over in the left lane when they reach a stoplight just in case someone comes up behind them that wants to go right?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
are you talking about people in the right-lane of a multi-lane road that legally go straight? If it's the latter, it's not inconsiderate at all. Is everyone supposed to get over in the left lane when they reach a stoplight just in case someone comes up behind them that wants to go right?
************************************************** ************************************

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking mostly when there's 3 lanes they most definitely need to move over, but also 2 lanes they should get over if possible. Not only out of consideration, but also because it causes the traffic to back up in the right lane.

If there's several vehicles waiting to turn right, all those idling motorized vehicles makes for more bad air pollution. So if you're a liberal, I would think that would be an incentive to get over in the middle or left lane.

I always try to move over if it's right on red because I know I don't appreciate it when I'm behind a vehicle going str8 at a right on red light and I'm wanting to turn right.

You must be one of those drivers who are the first in line at a red light and then go straight when it turns.

Not to be sexist, but 75 to 80% % of the time it's a woman driver who does that, totally unaware that she is holding up traffic, as if there's nobody else on the road but her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis