Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:02 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times

Advertisements

Well, I have some good follow up news. According to WIBC, the House has just put light rail back into the mass transit bill. The ban in the bill has been removed and is expected for final approval in the House on Monday. Let's hope it sticks this time.

WIBC mass transit update: As Transit Debate Enters Homestretch, Light Rail Still a Conundrum | Indy's News Center - 93.1 WIBC Indianapolis - Live. Local. First.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:53 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
My fear is that will take support away from it since so many people seem to be all up in arms about the light rail part. I want it in but not at the expense of scrapping the whole thing.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
My fear is that will take support away from it since so many people seem to be all up in arms about the light rail part. I want it in but not at the expense of scrapping the whole thing.
Yeah, there seems to be a divide. I just hope they come to their senses that we need to get it passed even if if there is no light rail. Anything is better than what we have now. If Charlotte can have success with lightrail so can we. We need alternatives for the working class who don't have adequate transportation to get to work. The current bus system needs work. This is vital for a local economy.

Last edited by urbanologist; 02-28-2014 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Having light rail in the bill is great news... I just hope that the IDIOT governor and his backwards cronies don't torpedo it! This town must start out with light rail if it wants to compete with other cities this size 20 years from now... Bus only system is not the answer.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 AM

Governor Mike Pense says he will think about the plan. (until he is out of office <sarcasm>) The voters who even support a tax hike don't seem to matter at this point.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Governor Mike Pense says he will think about the plan. (until he is out of office <sarcasm>) The voters who even support a tax hike don't seem to matter at this point.
I cannot believe this idiot got elected.....

Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I cannot believe this idiot got elected.....
May be if mayor Greg Ballard were the Republican governor instead at least he would have approved the bill. It seems his party has ignored him while he was trying to make the case for supporting mass transit. Greg Ballard to replace Mike Pense as governor

Old 03-10-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
May be if mayor Greg Ballard were the Republican governor instead at least he would have approved the bill. It seems his party has ignored him while he was trying to make the case for supporting mass transit. Greg Ballard to replace Mike Pense as governor
It needs to get to the governor first. It sounds optimistic that there will be a compromise between the Senate and House version of the bill. But since this is the last week of the general assembly, it needs to get done this week or we won't see it until at least next year.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:

This goes to illustrate the difference in tea party republicans and the classic and more business oriented republicans.

Ballard seems to be more of the classic and business type republican.

While Pence is the darling tea party conservative with a scandalous history and a platform for extreme unchecked conservatism. Indiana could really benefit from a democratic governor, already we are being shown up by our southern neighbors, Kentucky with their democratic governor who has embraced the medicaid expansion and dropped health insurance rates in his state by large amounts.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:23 AM

This is becoming infuriating. Now they're talking about banning light rail for 5 years. What does that accomplish? Oh yeah, it basically says either rip up the Nickle Plate line from Noblesville into downtown for BRT or leave it in place with no BRT in the hopes that maybe in 5 years people will agree to light rail. Why are lawmakers deciding what form of mass transit is most effective? Just pass the bill, let voters decide if they want to pay for it, and if so, let people who actually know how to engineer mass transit decide what is best for us. Apparently these lawmakers also missed the story this weekend that transit ridership in the United States is at its highest level since 1956!

Light rail still dominates mass transit debate | WISHTV.com

Transit ridership reaches highest level since 1956
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis