Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Theres a city bbq in carmel now too. They are good.
Also a chain not unique to Indy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 10,750 times
King Ribs, East on Crawfordsville (or 136) just east of tibbs. They have real pits outside that the ribs are cooked on. You can't help but start drooling as you pull up because you just smell the outdoors BBQ. They serve delicious thick and creamy mac and cheese, and the usual stuff (pot salad, baked beans). They are famous for their Chess Pie (which I heard was like Sweet Potato Pie?) Meals are served with your choice of white or wheat bread, and two sides. Their sauce is savory and sweet, coming in mild or hot. They will combine the two if you just tell them. Oh, and they sell Strawberry Red Pop. Not Red Cream Soda, but real Red Pop kinda like Faygo. You better get there early, as they close up shop early, and often close dining room and run orders strictly thru drive thru. It may be a little bit of a drive, but it's worth it and then some. Oh, and you can also phone orders in!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:46 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Theres a city bbq in carmel now too. They are good.
Not impressed with them. Black diamond both times i've been had well seasoned meat and tender. Higher quality as well with less fat. What turned me off was the buy in bulk bbq sauce. They don't make their own.

King ribs really depends on which one you go to. The south side and pendleton pike locations are closed. They were ick. I think the georgetown and 38th st locations are still open but to get the best you have to hit the 16th st location. Didn't know the had one on cr but i normally avoid restaurants in the hood that open suburban locations, well the suburban location anyway, the food just tastes like they bland it up for some reason. Case in point, stopped at the new popeyes at emerson and countyline, waited over an hour! Folks act like they never had popeyes before only to get home and eat that sludge they tried to pass off as spicy. Cajun rice bland, ugh almost drove to east Washington but not sure if that one opened back up yet.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Not impressed with them. Black diamond both times i've been had well seasoned meat and tender. Higher quality as well with less fat. What turned me off was the buy in bulk bbq sauce. They don't make their own.

King ribs really depends on which one you go to. The south side and pendleton pike locations are closed. They were ick. I think the georgetown and 38th st locations are still open but to get the best you have to hit the 16th st location. Didn't know the had one on cr but i normally avoid restaurants in the hood that open suburban locations, well the suburban location anyway, the food just tastes like they bland it up for some reason. Case in point, stopped at the new popeyes at emerson and countyline, waited over an hour! Folks act like they never had popeyes before only to get home and eat that sludge they tried to pass off as spicy. Cajun rice bland, ugh almost drove to east Washington but not sure if that one opened back up yet.
Popeye's close to East Washington and LaSalle opened up last year. The one at Washington and Sherman is still empty.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:23 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Big Hoffa's in Westfield. People travel from all over the Indy area to get BBQ there.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:10 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,056,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Big Hoffa's in Westfield. People travel from all over the Indy area to get BBQ there.
Agreed!! Big Hoffa's rocks! It's on 32 just east of 31.....

Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 AM

891 posts, read 2,449,949 times
The best bbq ribs are at Scotty's

Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
The best bbq ribs are at Scotty's
Don't go to downtown location. Service sucks.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,745 times
I don't know about Scotty's.
I'd do Squealers and go from there to Gray's for a piece of pie!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Don't go to downtown location. Service sucks.

No kidding! The last time I went there the server LOST my credit card! He looked all over and couldn't find it. This was after he took it from the table and charged our meal. After the server explained to us that he lost the card the manager came to our table to suggest that I "call the next day to see if it turned up." We were on the way to a Pacers game and I had to cancel the card that night.

The next day I called and they had found the card. I walked over there on my lunch break to pick it up from a very disinterested employee who had no idea where it was found. On my way out the door a man was walking in and I overheard him telling the hostess that he didn't want a table but was there to pick up his credit card that the server lost the night before.

When I got back to my office I called the manager to discuss the matter and he said he would send a $50 gift card for my trouble. Never received it. Whatever. I won't go back there, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis