Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:01 AM

422 posts, read 424,819 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am relocating to the Indianapolis area and I want to know if Anderson, IN or Indianapolis (Castleton specifically) a better place to live? I don't mind commuting, so I just want to know which is better in safety, shopping, restaurants and overall lifestyle quality specifically. If you had a choice, which one would you live at? For me, Anderson just seems to be in the middle of nowhere.... Thanks, looking forward to hearing responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 AM

4,965 posts, read 6,226,273 times
If your job is in Indy, you will definitely prefer Castleton. It's about a 30 minute drive outside rush hour down I-69 from Anderson just to I-465. If your job is downtown, it's another 20 minutes or so to downtown. If there's an accident, or during winter when it snows, I-69 can be a traffic nightmare and it can take well over an hour to get into Indy from Anderson. Castleton is home to a 2 mile long strip of shops and restaurants along 82nd/86th Street from I-69 to Keystone Ave, including 2 malls, a regular one and a more high end one. If I had a choice between Anderson and Castleton, especially if my job was in Indy, I would definitely choose Castleton.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks ischyros! Was curious about the Castleton crime rate. Is it a safe place to live? I read bad reviews on a lot of the apartment complexes in the area complaining about car breakins etc..

Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Thanks ischyros! Was curious about the Castleton crime rate. Is it a safe place to live? I read bad reviews on a lot of the apartment complexes in the area complaining about car breakins etc..
I've heard that as well, but I also had a cousin that lived in the Lakeshore Apartments, which is on 82nd St west of Allisonville Rd and she never had any problems. I think as long as you aren't prone to leaving things in your car, you'll be fine. I doubt the break in rate would be much worse than Anderson. Castleton is a safe area. The biggest danger is just traffic. Because of all the retail around there, traffic is just as bad on Saturday and Sunday as it is during the week.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 AM

Thanks again ischyros! You have been very helpful.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM

10 posts, read 11,706 times
Anderson is further from Nap but it is more di-versre than Castleton.

Hope this helps with what you need to know.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Curious as to what you mean? I like to know details... Thanks.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM

10 posts, read 11,706 times
Sorry, should have explained - I meant Anderson is further from Indianapolis mileage wise, and it is more di-verse than Castleton area. "Nap" is a common nickname for Indianapolis.

I don't believe Castleton is an actual city, that's why I called it an area. Could be wrong.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
If your job is in Indy, you will definitely prefer Castleton. It's about a 30 minute drive outside rush hour down I-69 from Anderson just to I-465. If your job is downtown, it's another 20 minutes or so to downtown. If there's an accident, or during winter when it snows, I-69 can be a traffic nightmare and it can take well over an hour to get into Indy from Anderson. Castleton is home to a 2 mile long strip of shops and restaurants along 82nd/86th Street from I-69 to Keystone Ave, including 2 malls, a regular one and a more high end one. If I had a choice between Anderson and Castleton, especially if my job was in Indy, I would definitely choose Castleton.
It's funny I mentioned this yesterday but during the evening rush hour yesterday, I-69 was closed in both directions between Exit 5 and Exit 14 because of a suspicious package. I heard it took 25-30 minutes to go northbound the 2 miles between 96th St and 116th St where all 4 lanes of traffic had to exit. Then you had to find your own way to Anderson. I'm sure that made a mess of other roads in the area, like 116th St and SR 37.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM

8,938 posts, read 17,157,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintarius View Post
Sorry, should have explained - I meant Anderson is further from Indianapolis mileage wise, and it is more di-verse than Castleton area. "Nap" is a common nickname for Indianapolis.

I don't believe Castleton is an actual city, that's why I called it an area. Could be wrong.
Castleton is not its own city; I can't imagine why someone who lives in the Indianapolis area would think it is. Any autonomy Castleton may have had dissolved 20 years ago.

As far as the OP...............Anderson is not somewhere I would choose to live if my job was in Indianapolis. If you are looking for a smaller town, there are so many better choices IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis