Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times

Advertisements

I am planning a very likely move to Indianapolis within the next year. My job situation will be shaky at first, so I need something dirt cheap and convenient to the city. I'm looking for an apartment, 1 bedroom is all I need, for under $400 a month, and preferably one that also takes pets. The closer to downtown the better, just as long as I'm not in a suburb that's separated by dozens of miles and herds of cars, since I will probably be biking back and forth to my place of employment.

If you know of any places with low rent, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,302 times
You should look for a roommate, because under $400 a month will either be a horrible place to live in or you won't be able to find one for that amount of money.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
I had a friend who lived in a studio apartment at 13th and Delaware; rent was maybe 450? or so. It is a nice enough building for the price.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
You should look for a roommate, because under $400 a month will either be a horrible place to live in or you won't be able to find one for that amount of money.
K, I know apartments exist for under $400. A few moths ago I did find a studio apartment for $380 a month and it looked like a decent place. I don't need to live well, I need to live cheap and conserve money.

$450 would probably be the top of my budget, but anything $400 and under is preferable.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I had a friend who lived in a studio apartment at 13th and Delaware; rent was maybe 450? or so. It is a nice enough building for the price.
How is that section of town? I'm not wanting to move into the ghetto, but if the rent is cheap enough I may make exceptions.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Default 13th and Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
How is that section of town? I'm not wanting to move into the ghetto, but if the rent is cheap enough I may make exceptions.
It's not a ghetto, but then again I wouldn't be wandering around the neighborhood at night.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Think about this........ my friend was a girl. She worked near Circle Center. She did not have a car, she walked to work. Every day. She walked all over the area, at all hours of day. Even after dark. 16th Street. Mass Ave. She walked to all of these places.

In her own words, the only problem was the occasional "creepy bum" that would try to talk to her.

The neighborhood is Old Northside. It might be a spooky walk at places due to lack of pedestrian activity, but I would have no qualms walking around there at any time of day. It is a nice neighborhood, in the city. Anyone moving there has to understand it is the city, not the suburbs.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:31 AM

35 posts, read 56,680 times
Default IMPD MAPS Crime Viewer

Quote:
K, I know apartments exist for under $400. A few moths ago I did find a studio apartment for $380 a month and it looked like a decent place. I don't need to live well, I need to live cheap and conserve money.

$450 would probably be the top of my budget, but anything $400 and under is preferable.

ColdAilment,

I agree with you. with a top budget of 450, a single, sensible person can certainly find acceptable living quarters in the INDY region. Prior to moving here, I was told basically the same thing that you are hearing in the last several posts.

If you are concerned with crime issues, do yourself a HUGE favor and track the crime rates by using the IMPD MAPS Crime Viewer Tool. It's quite intuitive by following the simple steps and you will be amazed at how much timely information is available. Good luck and good hunting!

Click here:MapIndy

Clay

Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 PM

212 posts, read 615,431 times
My first apartment in Indy was a studio in the old Chadwick building at 10th and Penn. (it has since burned down) I was paying $250 per month. The only caveat was that I had to deal with an incredible amount of cockroaches. Even though they sprayed once per month it still was really bad.

Regarding the Old Northside neighborhood? It's not that bad. You just have to be street smart. I never had any problems.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still searching and I won't end up in Indy until late next year, but I am scouring my options early. I would prefer not to deal with Roaches in an apartment, but if it's $250 a month I suppose I can hardly complain. I think I have enough sensibility to avoid or ignore things on the street that don't concern me, so "bad neighborhoods" aren't a strong deterrent to me, unless a mid 20's single white male is likely to be a prime target.

On another note, is Indy a bike friendly city? There's a good chance I will be using my bicycle a lot, bike lanes and friendly drivers would be a huge plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis