Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 PM

39 posts, read 57,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
You could move to a liberal state where a one-bedroom condo will cost you $500,000. With your attitude you'll still make $13 an hour, but at least you'll be surrounded by people who you think aren't stupid.

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Booster alert!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 09:54 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sksdesigns View Post
Pence has actually closed his entire office for out of office meetings. I have NEVER heard of such outrageous abuse of government and disrespect for his constituents. No government office should ever close or be left unmanned. I also feel that government offices should not have voicemail either. It's not like they are soooo busy that they don't have the time to answer the phone. We all can see this when visiting certain government offices.
I don't know why anyone would be surprised.

That man doesn't care one bit about serving this state. He cares about furthering his own career and probably throwing his hat in the ring for the GOP nomination for president in the future.

A lot of Hoosiers saw through his nonsense. Romney got 54.3% of the vote and Pence got 49.6%. Unfortunately, there are still too many morons in this state. No worries, they will die off eventually.

Oh, and I voted for Mitch Daniels in 2008.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:14 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I don't know why anyone would be surprised.

That man doesn't care one bit about serving this state. He cares about furthering his own career and probably throwing his hat in the ring for the GOP nomination for president in the future.

A lot of Hoosiers saw through his nonsense. Romney got 54.3% of the vote and Pence got 49.6%. Unfortunately, there are still too many morons in this state. No worries, they will die off eventually.

Oh, and I voted for Mitch Daniels in 2008.
AMEN!!! Pence is an absolute joke! And yes, I did vote for Daniels in 2008 too.... I hate Pence.. Not my governor, he's a bible thumping, backwards minded idiot.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sunshine View Post
Booster alert!!!!!
Non Sequitur.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:11 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Just curious, where do you have trouble finding a place to park? I can't speak for all neighborhoods but at least as far as downtown goes I've never had trouble finding a place to park. If anything, downtown has too much parking (thus it's so cheap and mass transit has never taken off here).
I work as a courier. Have to park on street when making deliveries. Difficult to find anything at all down there. I have to park where I should not and hope I can get in and out of a building quickly and avoid a ticket.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:23 PM

8 posts, read 41,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
There used to be a refinery right there at 86th and it smelled even worse. But yes, even downtown we have some pretty strange smells. There is one that pops up every so often that smells just like leaking natural gas and always causes lots of calls to Citizens Gas. I thought we had a huge gas leak one time.

I live here because it is comfortable, stable, conservative, simple, cheap. I would prefer to live in Portland, Seattle, etc. but the costs cannot be justified.
I moved here from Minneapolis and I've found that you get what you pay for. I don't find it "comfortable" here (the snow plowing of the streets in the winter is terrible, the air is filthy), I don't think "stable" and "conservative" are necessarily good things (it took forever for Indianapolis to adopt Daylight Savings Time and it was under a governor who originated from Pennsylvania, people here seem to be afraid of change so , yes, things are "stable"), simple (lack of excellent cultural activity, parks, nature preserves, etc..Please don't brag about waiting two years to see a Broadway play and then it plays for only a week and Beef and Boards doesn't qualify as "theater". I miss the Guthrie!!!!!! And I don't like having to drive to the state parks to see nature....it's quite a long drive. It gets boring to keep returning to Eagle Creek Park which is crowded and you can hear the traffic on the neighboring highway. So yeah, it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. I find myself making frequent trips to Chicago for the theater, architecture tours, Institute of Art exhibitions, etc. so I can "survive" so, no, it's not really cheap to live here in that sense. If you thrive on sports bars and football/basketball this is the place for you. If you like nature, beauty, culture and meeting people from different parts of the country/world , Indianapolis is not the place for you. Most of the people who live here are from Indiana (if not, they move back to where they came from).

Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
This happens in a lot of places, I guess, but it infuriates me when almost every freaking morning I have to drive 20 mph on 465 because there is a car on the shoulder. Changing a tire, minor fender-bender, speeder pulled over, etc. Can't we just move on without slowing down all three or four lanes to 20 mph for a whole mile?
They slow down because it's the most exciting thing they've seen here in a month!!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoonMoon View Post
I dislike your comment. Because ALL hoosiers don't use marijuana it's irrelevant? Your thinking is irrational.

I've interviewed for state finance jobs this year in Peru and Middleton and the starting pay was $11/hr.
I've worked for the State of Indiana and would not recommend it to anyone. Everyone you work with will be from Indiana and will think it is the best place in the world to live although they haven't lived anywhere else. The state employee culture is stifling, not to mention the poor salaries and mostly boring work.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappyinindy View Post
I moved here from Minneapolis and I've found that you get what you pay for. I don't find it "comfortable" here (the snow plowing of the streets in the winter is terrible, the air is filthy), I don't think "stable" and "conservative" are necessarily good things (it took forever for Indianapolis to adopt Daylight Savings Time and it was under a governor who originated from Pennsylvania, people here seem to be afraid of change so , yes, things are "stable"), simple (lack of excellent cultural activity, parks, nature preserves, etc..Please don't brag about waiting two years to see a Broadway play and then it plays for only a week and Beef and Boards doesn't qualify as "theater". I miss the Guthrie!!!!!! And I don't like having to drive to the state parks to see nature....it's quite a long drive. It gets boring to keep returning to Eagle Creek Park which is crowded and you can hear the traffic on the neighboring highway. So yeah, it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. I find myself making frequent trips to Chicago for the theater, architecture tours, Institute of Art exhibitions, etc. so I can "survive" so, no, it's not really cheap to live here in that sense. If you thrive on sports bars and football/basketball this is the place for you. If you like nature, beauty, culture and meeting people from different parts of the country/world , Indianapolis is not the place for you. Most of the people who live here are from Indiana (if not, they move back to where they came from).
Ah, culture snobs.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappyinindy View Post
If you like nature, beauty, culture and meeting people from different parts of the country/world , Indianapolis is not the place for you. Most of the people who live here are from Indiana (if not, they move back to where they came from).
It's funny, even when I didn't make much money, I could afford to experience different arts and cultures because Indianapolis was so cheap.

I'm not talking about driving to Chicago.

I'm talking about making multiple trips to Europe and South America. 19 different countries.

Indianapolis was so cheap that the money I WASN'T spending on housing and transportation was going toward traveling overseas.

While you were making multiple trips to Chicago to see works of art in museums, I was going to the countries where those works originated and seeing works by the same artists in their natural setting.

Oh, and I still made plenty of trips to Chicago to enjoy the sights that city has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis