Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 AM

4,966 posts, read 6,230,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
That's a complicated question, but I would expect that most people in Carmel would refer to "downtown" as the Arts and Design District. Carmel's long term plan involves developing the entire area between the Arts District and City Center with apartments, condos, offices, and retail spaces, so it will probably all be considered "downtown eventually."

As far as live music, I believe that Muldoon's does have it sometimes. I'm not sure if that's just a summer thing or not, though.
Honestly, I don't think question is that complicated. Most everyone I know that lives or works in Carmel considers the Arts & Design District to be downtown Carmel. I haven't ever heard of anyone say downtown Carmel when referring to City Center. Yes, in several years if the city does what Brainard wants to do, then I think City Center will be part of downtown Carmel, but there's too much in between at the moment to make it feel like one unconnected area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
My husband and I are planning a visit to the Indy area (North suburbs) likely in November over Thanksgiving weekend Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

We get so little time off from work, our time will be short - 2 nights. We're hoping that things will be open, being a Holiday weekend and all.

We're interested in relocating potentially to Zionsville or Carmel next year, and want to see the area.

What, with 2 days and 2 nights - Thursday night, Friday, Friday night and Saturday, (as Thurs daytime and Sunday daytime will be travel days) would you recommend that we see to get a flavor of the area? We love outdoor cafes, local farms/farmstands, want to see where people shop, the Monon Trail, etc.

We'd also love recommendations for restaurants. Something casual, but not a chain-type restaurant. We'd love a place that might have live music. We frequently go to an Irish pub here that has live music - casual, low-key but good food and nice atmosphere.

Also, recommendations on where to stay in Zionsville/Carmel would be most welcome.

Thanks, looking forward to visiting!
Most places will be closed when you get in, what with it being Thanksgiving and all. And don't forget that is Black Friday so the malls and stores will be packed. I have found in the past going out later in the afternoon things have really calmed down, though. Bubs is a good local casual restaurant in Carmel, but try to go mid-afternoon. The place will be jammed that Friday and Saturday night and it's not very big.

Outdoor cafes are going to be few and far between Thanksgiving weekend because it will be too cold by then. You should get out and experience downtown Carmel at some point as well as downtown Zionsville. They are similar but feel worlds apart. Carmel goes for a more urban-looking downtown with big buildings and lots of concrete while Zionsville is more historical small town charm with shade trees and brick streets.

I agree with other recommendations for Muldoons in Carmel. I know they have live music on the patio in the summer but I'm not sure if they have it inside in the winter. Detour is a regular American grill but they usually have live music inside on weekends.

The Monon Trail can be caught in downtown Carmel and you can walk it the half mile south to City Center and the Palladium concert hall. If you go that way, Matt the Miller's tavern is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's not exactly local being based out of Columbus, OH, I think, but it's not a national chain either as they only have 2 other locations. I think they often have live music outside in the summer but again, I'm not sure about winter.

You could also start the Monon Trail in Central Park in Carmel along 111th St between Rangeline and College Ave. The Monon splits Central Park in 2 very different areas. The west side is very open with paved trails around a large pond and wetlands. The east side is very wooded with a nice picnic area and a couple unpaved gravel trails going back into the woods. Neither trail takes more than 15 minutes to complete and there are a couple paved trails that basically follow the road. The Monon Trail is accessable for both sides of the park but you can't drive from one side to the other. From there it is about a 2 mile walk north to downtown Carmel, but the Monon goes either under of over the busy roads so you don't have to worry about crossing them. The Monon Center and Waterpark sit in the middle of the park right along the Monon Trail. The Monon Center is a large gym with typical gym equipment along with fitness classes, an indoor track, and 3 basketball courts. The waterpark is only open in the summer, obviously, but there is a pool and some slides inside along with a lap pool. You normally have to be a member to use the facilities but I think you can buy a day pass as well.

Shopping would be mostly Clay Terrace/Greyhound Pass (watch out for construction along US 31 north of 146th St) and the Fashion Mall at Keystone at the Crossing (Keystone Ave/I-465/86th St). Clay Terrace is an outdoor mall a bit more high end than a regular mall but not by much. The Fashion Mall is the high end retail area of Indy with Saks Fifth Avenue, Crate & Barrel, Armani Jeans, Pottery Barn. Just remember it'll be Thanksgiving weekend and places will be packed.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,970,937 times
Wow - thanks for all that great info!

Ischyros, your comparison of Carmel vs Zionsville makes me think we might like Zionsville more. We aren't "urban" people and love quiet, slower-paced life. Our preference leans toward historic and brick streets as that is what our town is like and it is small, like Zionsville (17K).

The Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and Industry

But, we will have to see. That's why we are coming to visit.

We actually will be flying in Friday, arriving Friday afternoon. Thanks for the heads up as to Black Friday though, I completely forgot about that.

Does anyone know anything about Patricks in Zionsville? I heard that they have live music also.

Thanks again for the great info!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Wow - thanks for all that great info!

Ischyros, your comparison of Carmel vs Zionsville makes me think we might like Zionsville more. We aren't "urban" people and love quiet, slower-paced life. Our preference leans toward historic and brick streets as that is what our town is like and it is small, like Zionsville (17K).

The Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and Industry

But, we will have to see. That's why we are coming to visit.

We actually will be flying in Friday, arriving Friday afternoon. Thanks for the heads up as to Black Friday though, I completely forgot about that.

Does anyone know anything about Patricks in Zionsville? I heard that they have live music also.

Thanks again for the great info!
Definitely just check out both places and take your pick of which one you prefer. Carmel has built up most of it's downtown new in the past decade but the areas immediately surrounding downtown Carmel are very tree-filled. The best way to find out what you prefer is to see for yourself.

I don't know anything about Patricks, so sorry, but I can't help you out there.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,996,609 times
You're way over thinking this. I do applaud you for doing your "due diligence" in researching a new area to move to. But from the bugs, to the crime, to the weather you can't nitpick every little thing. There will be some things that you will like here and there will be some things that you don't like.

But don't sweat the details to the minute level, you'll drive yourself crazy. You won't find another Newburyport anywhere, there's only one.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,286 times
[quote=macalan;31716359

Thanks again for the great info![/QUOTE]

Patrick's Kitchen and Drinks is a nice place. Patrick's Kitchen & Drinks | Comfort Food with a Twist for details. I dont know if they will have music over the holiday weekend. You may need a reservation over the holiday weekend. Visiting the area over the holiday weekend will not provide an accurate reflection of either community. Traffic will be 10x the norm.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:45 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,645,232 times
Definitely check out both, but I would take Zionsville over Carmel any day.

In fact, I live in neither of those towns (Indy here), but I would take Zionsville over any of the suburbs on any side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis