U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:39 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,644,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Let me stop you right there. Indy media is infamous for taking a small bit of news and turning into a crisis. I am not saying that is what is happening now............but c'mon. Suggesting the Indy media would hide some home invasions is silly. This stuff is like their catnip.
Of course that's what's happening right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,174 times
I think you should check out the South Side of Indianapolis like Greenwood living is cheap and more safe google Geenwood,Indiana

Old 11-16-2013, 09:27 PM

117 posts, read 103,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Burglaries are generally not random. They get scoped, several run throughs looking at tendencies, trash placed, etc. People tend to be completely oblivious to these things. Simple precautions can help. Alarm system with a visible alarm company sign, break down the new 60 inch tv box, xbox, etc. Stop posting ur plans of fb and the tweeter letting criminals know when you won't be home for a week. Dogs work great because they will bark. Nest if u didnt have a little yapper. Something with some base in its voice. Finally, if you have lived in your neighborhood for a while you should know the cars in it. If you start seeing unknown vehicles passing thru, alert ur neighbors! I saw a guy while i was in the garage once literally stop in fron of my neighbors house and take a picture with their bmw in the drive. I promptly went ovdr, let them know and told them to put it in the garage.
Exactly, I hate to blame the victim of any criminal act, but break-ins happen typically because the victim just didn't do their due diligence. When I grew up in the suburbs we would leave doors unlocked at night or when we left and not think twice; that is exactly what the criminals expect when they visit these "safe" suburbs. You just have to act like you live in an unsafe area: lock all doors and windows, keep security lighting well lit and shining on "danger zones", don't flaunt what you have, etc.

Even where I live now, what would be considered a nice and safe neighborhood, I have neighbors who I know could be victims of a break in; it worries me for their families, but not for mine I make sure I don't stand out in any way for a potential thief and always act as if I was living in that bad area I used to live in.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 PM

1,157 posts, read 741,788 times
We live in a nice neighborhood, but I have an alarm system, a dog, and guns (and I'm a liberal...).

No place is immune to crime. Be prepared and hope you never have to experience it. Just like wearing your seat belt.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:46 AM

621 posts, read 576,356 times
check out brownsburg, avon, or plainfield as well.

but do a little bit of math before you start worrying. it's an exceptionally safe area.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 PM

2,804 posts, read 5,893,428 times
Update on safety in the neighborhood. We live downtown and today around 2pm, a young man came around saying he was a student and wanting either donations or something. He had a nametag and a clipboard. His friend was at the neighbor's house. I admit I gave him a bit of a lecture about soliciting or going from door to door in our neighborhood. Told him the police are normally called when people are going door to door and he should be aware this is frowned on......

I felt bad but it was the truth. I should have called the police nonemergency number and I should not have opened the door.

We did have the police put a warning note on our car to be aware of leaving anything in the car (nothing was in it) and leaving it unlocked (it was locked). So they are checking.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 3,864 times
Default You're never completely safe...

You really have to be careful, even in areas that are known to be pretty safe. I lived down in Perry Township in a "nice" area, and STILL my car had been broken into on at least 3 occasions: twice while it was parked my in my own driveway, and in my neighbor's driveway across the street (I was parking it there on purpose to make it look like someone was home over there while they were away visiting their relatives).

And we once had a peeping tom on our roof trying to spy on my younger sister, too. Also, home break-ins were actually common enough to where we had to get a Sherriff's officer to patrol the neighborhood (fortunately, no one ever tried to break into our house). Moral of the story: trouble can find you, even when you're doing your best to avoid it by living in the burbs, and taking precautions.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 2,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Let me stop you right there. Indy media is infamous for taking a small bit of news and turning into a crisis. I am not saying that is what is happening now............but c'mon. Suggesting the Indy media would hide some home invasions is silly. This stuff is like their catnip.
Yeah I have to agree ^^ I live in Indy and they will turn anything they can here into a news story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis