Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 PM
tvs tvs started this thread

3 posts, read 21,988 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Indy December 2007! Can someone recommend some apartment communities that are safe and quiet? I'm looking for a two br apt. I have visited pebble point, bayhead, winddrift... they all seem fine. But when I use "Crimeview" to see how's the neighborhood, i was like ! There are crimes happening there almost every week!

Fishers and Carmel are nice. But the commute is long and apt a little pricey. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 PM

200 posts, read 888,191 times
Runaway Bay Apartments in Speedway are nice, they have the lowest crime rate of all the apartments in Speedway. 10-15 minute commute to downtown

If you want inexpensive and safe: Dublin Glen Apartments in Brownsburg are nice, I've known 2 families that have lived there and they liked those. 20-25 minute commute to downtown.

Are you looking strictly on the west side of the city?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:30 PM

Thanks a lot for your info! No actually anywhere safe is fine. But I heard south is worse than north or east, is it true?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 34,289 times
Lakes of Windsor off southport rd. (Lakes of Windsor) Great community, have lived here for almost a year. Apartments are clean and safe, they also include washer & dryer which is a great perk. THe area is good and I havent heard of any crime. Also, we are away from the interstate and next to a subdivision so its pretty quiet. Many stores (target, meigher, home depot, kohls) and restuarants down the street. Only a 15 min. drive from downtownn, too!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 AM

Thanks! I just checked lakes of windsor, it is a much safer place. thanks!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 AM

200 posts, read 888,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvs View Post
Thanks a lot for your info! No actually anywhere safe is fine. But I heard south is worse than north or east, is it true?
The southside is good, but growing rapidly...same as the west side.

The north side is safe, but extremely congested, especially at rush hour.

The east side is....well...the east side. Outside the I-465 loop it's okay, but inside that interstate is not safe. Period. A good number of the homicides in Indianapolis occurred in that area this year.

Hope you find a place, and welcome!

Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 PM

563 posts, read 3,742,809 times
We lived just south of 86th st behind ST Vincent's Hosiptal a few years ago. Not my idea of a terrific neighborhood now that i have kids but it was safe and most of the renters were hospital workers. We stayed at a place called Fountainhead for 3 years and the management was outstanding. We rented their one bedroom for a year and then upgraded to a 2 bedroom. The place was clean, well maintained and close to everything. Hopefully its still the same.
Other options if you can handle a commute are the Amli apartments that are decent.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:15 PM

563 posts, read 3,742,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvs View Post
South is the pits and I learned to steer clear of anywhere south of 86th street. That being said there are pockets of nicer neighborhoods everywhere. Carmel or North Indy will probably be your closest safe bet. Any of the northern suburbs are fine really.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:54 PM

83 posts, read 397,354 times
I lived in WaterStone right outside the 465 loop on the west side off 38th street. Right next door to Marsh and Target, and I never had any issues. Good management staff, gated apartment complex, 15 minutes to downtown and 10 to the airport. Paid $665 for a one bedroom in 2005; little bit expensive, but not as much as the Amil apartments up north. Idlewood across the street was $100 cheaper/month, but seemed shady and the apartments were small.

There are other pockets of nice apartments on the west side, west of 465 and closer to Eagle Creek. IMO, best value for the $$$ and least amount of traffic headaches in Indianapolis.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:30 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,420 times
One never knows when an area which has historically been very safe suddenly goes sour. For example, there was a shooting this morning at the BP gas station at Oaklandon and Fox Road (the Geist). a lady motorist pulled in to get gas and a young 20 year old male shot her. He then tried to shoot himself but his gun was empty or jammed. He drove his brown Ford Explorer SUV to the National City Bank next door, apparently fixed his gun and killed himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis