U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,503 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My partner, Daughter, and myself are moving to Indy in June, 2014. Can anyone give me a heads up on how friendly Indy is to gay families. Is there a section of town we should look at for housing?
We are currently looking in the northern suburbs around Traders point Lake.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,462,259 times
I wouldn't say that Indy goes of out of its way to be gay-friendly, but I don't think it's hostile to gays either. Most just don't care. Those who do care usually keep their mouth shut.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 PM

145 posts, read 265,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1983 View Post
Hi,

My partner, Daughter, and myself are moving to Indy in June, 2014. Can anyone give me a heads up on how friendly Indy is to gay families. Is there a section of town we should look at for housing?
We are currently looking in the northern suburbs around Traders point Lake.

I have plenty of gay friends, some old and some young, through work, school, etc. My older friends talk about times, 20+ years ago, that were much more hostile than anything they have seen recently. For the most part it seems they feel safe in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas and I have never witnessed or noticed anything out of the ordinary when going around town with my gay friends and they never mentioned anything off to me.

I can't think of any place that my friends have mentioned that they wanted to avoid.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,662,040 times
As long as you mind your own business around here.. Other people will mind thier own too. You shouldnt have much of a issue.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:19 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,591,825 times
I wouldn't say it's "gay friendly"... But it's not "gay unfriendly" either... From my experience it's pretty neutral, folks tend to mind their own business for the most part.

And the religious right wingers who may have a problem tend to keep it to themselves. At least to your face anyway.. they may talk behind your back!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM

37 posts, read 59,318 times
The spectrum of what gay friendly means is rather broad. Indy is not as diverse here as some places, but tolerance is as good as any respectable metropolitan area in the US. The concentration of the gay community is downtown, however, this is a sprawling city and so is the gay community. The Traders Point / Eagle Creek area is perfectly fine to live and get established. I live in Irvington which while up and coming is still low key. Every year, more businesses roll out the rainbow flag in June ...Indy is getting there.

Also, I'm in the Pride of Indy Band and we play concerts all over the city to fairly diverse audiences. (including a summer concert at Garfield Park that has an audience comprised mostly of Crestwood Village Retirement residents. We may be a band of gay musicians, but they just want to hear a Sousa march. That pretty much sums up Indy's attitude.

Here is a link about pride festivals around the world. Indy is on the list (for what its worth)
Top 10 Gay pride festivals and events for June 2013 - GTH

Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM

21 posts, read 35,161 times
Indiana lawmakers are attempting to push through HJR3 which would basically establish an amendment to Indiana's constitution defining marriage as between a man and a woman. This is DESPITE the fact that gay marriage is ALREADY illegal in Indiana. Clearly the state is one of the least progressive in the union, and I would advise people that are genuinely concerned about gay tolerance to consider living elsewhere.

Elections committee advances HJR-3 to full House

Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 AM

8,259 posts, read 13,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTruth View Post
Indiana lawmakers are attempting to push through HJR3 which would basically establish an amendment to Indiana's constitution defining marriage as between a man and a woman. This is DESPITE the fact that gay marriage is ALREADY illegal in Indiana. Clearly the state is one of the least progressive in the union, and I would advise people that are genuinely concerned about gay tolerance to consider living elsewhere.

Elections committee advances HJR-3 to full House
So, what happens when the lawmakers ram this through and it is defeated by the public? Because that is probably what is going to happen. Besides, if we all moved every time the state legislator did something stupid, no one would live here at all.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:16 PM

21 posts, read 35,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
So, what happens when the lawmakers ram this through and it is defeated by the public? Because that is probably what is going to happen. Besides, if we all moved every time the state legislator did something stupid, no one would live here at all.

I'm not saying you should move every time the state legislature passes some ridiculous law. I think even having this up for consideration sends a clear message that Indiana continues to be one of the most divisive and unwelcoming states in the country.

I sincerely hope the electorate will realize the ridiculousness of the amendment and vote it down, but according to the most recent polls, 53% of Hoosiers actually support the amendment.

New GOP poll shows support for Indiana gay marriage ban - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Old 01-24-2014, 01:28 PM

8,259 posts, read 13,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTruth View Post
I'm not saying you should move every time the state legislature passes some ridiculous law. I think even having this up for consideration sends a clear message that Indiana continues to be one of the most divisive and unwelcoming states in the country.

I sincerely hope the electorate will realize the ridiculousness of the amendment and vote it down, but according to the most recent polls, 53% of Hoosiers actually support the amendment.

New GOP poll shows support for Indiana gay marriage ban - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
There was another poll not that long ago that the anti-ban crowd had that came to the conclusion that most Indiana residents were opposed to the bill as well.

Hoosiers agree: Amending our constitution to ban protections for same sex couples is wrong

Now, what are we to deduce from that?

1) Special interest groups can engineer polls biased to support their interest? No, that can't be it.

2) This is not coming up in Michigan or Ohio because they are so progressive? Could be, except for the fact that those states already have constitutional bans on same-sex marriage.

3) Indiana is now the butt of all jokes and will surely waste away because of the ongoing circus that is the Indiana general assembly? Did people stop moving to Texas and North Carolina? Did those states waste away because their legislators make poor choices? Do people think those are backwards states? Wait, don't answer that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or