Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to live in the city and have decided now is the time. I need some advice on areas/neighborhoods given my situation. Any input is appreciated as I'd really like to make a great decision!! Some of the circumstances are:

1. my young kids (age 7, 5) go to school in Brownsburg and I take them there 2-3 days a week. Therefore, need access to 16th St or Kessler or other very easy access to Brownsburg (want 35 minute commute max)
2. Since I have two kids, safety is a serious consideration.
3. Don't value "space" and could deal w/ 1300 sq ft
4. $170k is top of the budget
5. Condo/townhome is acceptable
6. Plan to live there minimum 5 years. Realistic maximum probably 10 years.
7. Want a "trending-up" not "trending down" area
8. Value walkable/bikeable
9. I'm more adventurous then average with a kind of urban-industrial style

My first choice would be Mass Ave area, but I can't afford it. Realistic alternatives I'm seriously considering are 1) Old Northside, 2) Broadripple.

So my questions are ... 1) is Old Northside "family friendly" enough, 2) I like the architecture of Old Northside but ability to afford more space/BR's in Broadripple - any thoughts on where I might be happier living?, and 3) are there any neighborhoods I should consider that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 03:56 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,590,510 times
I would look at Butler-Tarkington. It feels more family oriented than Downtown or Broad Ripple in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:07 PM

24 posts, read 84,917 times
I live in the Old Northside, 2 kids (ages 9 and 13), been there for 10+ years now.

The area east of College, known as College Corner, could be a particularly good fit for your situation. It has high connectivity to Mass Ave via the Monon (half mile to the east end of Mass Ave with Indy Reads, R Bistro, Black Market, Yats and more), and recreation with the Monon and the soccer park (opening this spring with newly renovated turf). It's highly bikeable and walkable, with the Monon connecting to the Cultural Trail and smaller neighborhood streets with light traffic. There are lots of kids here, moreso than people realize. Safety is a concern, but take normal city-living precautions. Always lock doors (consider reinforcing door jambs against kick-ins), install a security system and don't leave valuables in cars.

Even though it was on the upswing over a decade ago, it's really snowballing now. Just in the past couple of months we've learned:
1. New artisan food hub at 16th and the Monon
East 16th Street building to become artisan food hub : Eat Drink Indy
2. New restaurant by Peter George on 16th
Peter George to open new restaurant in Indianapolis : Eat Drink Indy
3. Mixed residential/retail appears to be going into the old Omar Bakery building
Omar Bakery Building | Indianapolis, IN

There is currently a double, some condos, and a couple of lots on the market in this particular area in your prices range. You can search those in any MLS tool. I'm not a realtor nor do I have any interest in the properties currently on the market, but you can let me know if you have any questions or would like more info. There are some small houses not currently on the market that have been for sale in the past and might be willing to sell at this time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: