Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,951 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a couple of duplexes in the area. What is the area like around the Woodruff Place area? 15 blocks out and in to Woodruff Place? I will have students from Nebraska living in the duplexes attending IUPUI. Is IUPUI a quick or easy commute from this area.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 PM

79 posts, read 460,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecap57 View Post
I am looking to buy a couple of duplexes in the area. What is the area like around the Woodruff Place area? 15 blocks out and in to Woodruff Place? I will have students from Nebraska living in the duplexes attending IUPUI. Is IUPUI a quick or easy commute from this area.?
To east is AWFUL, but to the west is the Cottage Home district which is kind of nice. Just south is iffy, but getting better (Holy Cross area) and to the North isn't too bad either.

Commuting from Woodruff to IUPUI isn't a big deal at all, very easy to walk, bike & bus to IUPUI.. Obviously it's easy to drive, but I wouldn't even think of it consider the proximity and the cost of parking. Although that's just my personal mindset.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:07 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,418,829 times
I would like to ditto the previous poster. There is a lot of renovation in some of the area to the east, but I would talk to the police about the crime statistics and whether the trend is good or bad. Friend lives on Tecumseh, the first street to the east of Woodruff and he has experienced radio stolen from car and other crimes.

Prices are low for a reason on the east side. They also lost the grocery on Tenth. Not much in the way of shopping but may not be an issue for students.

I think this area has to also be inspected in person to see the actual status of houses on the block. There are a lot of rental, foreclosures, etc. and it can be very different block to block.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Not much in the way of shopping but may not be an issue for students.
Mass Ave is incredibly close.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,418,829 times
And what on Mass Ave is student oriented except maybe Bazbeauz or Starbucks? RBistro or Scholars Inn would be a little expensive for students. I live downtown and was thinking of close walkable grocery stores. Do like what they have done to Omalias but the Kroger on 10th is closed. If it was a female student, walking from east of Woodruff to Omalias at dusk or dark it would be a little frightening.

I do live right downtown and drive around these areas although I stick to Michigan or New York for the most part except when garage sales happen in the summer.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
And what on Mass Ave is student oriented except maybe Bazbeauz or Starbucks? RBistro or Scholars Inn would be a little expensive for students. I live downtown and was thinking of close walkable grocery stores. Do like what they have done to Omalias but the Kroger on 10th is closed. If it was a female student, walking from east of Woodruff to Omalias at dusk or dark it would be a little frightening.

I do live right downtown and drive around these areas although I stick to Michigan or New York for the most part except when garage sales happen in the summer.
Ok, it's just a great and close option for food, bars, shopping etc. I'm not a rich a person and I take advantage of Mass Ave constantly.

I really don't want to get into the "dangerous to walk at night" debate. I understand the issue when it comes to being a single female.. However, the downtown area is quite walkable and more people (even females) are taking advantage of it.

Fear is a funny issue, but it controls the population well.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,951 times
Thank you for the info. The wife and I are going to visit the are in June and get a feel for the place before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis