Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM

76 posts, read 144,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrankMartian View Post
No, I'm not. (though I would gladly troll, it's one of my favorite pastimes)

I seriously was under the impression that the interstate was the border of Indianapolis and then anything outside of that would be "suburbs". Given that that was my understanding can you see why I was laughing at the whole "south of 96th" thing? 96th is right by the interstate isn't it? or like, a stones throw.

I'm still not even living in Indianapolis yet (see you in three weeks).
If you look at Indianapolis on Google maps, you'll see the northern border is 96th street, southern border is County Line Road, western border is Raceway Rd. and eastern border is Carroll Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 AM

50 posts, read 53,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayloure View Post
If you look at Indianapolis on Google maps, you'll see the northern border is 96th street, southern border is County Line Road, western border is Raceway Rd. and eastern border is Carroll Rd.

ok, so if that's the case (because all I've used is google maps) then I'm right in laughing when people say things about south of 96th being unsafe when south of 96th literally is all of Indianapolis, right?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrankMartian View Post
ok, so if that's the case (because all I've used is google maps) then I'm right in laughing when people say things about south of 96th being unsafe when south of 96th literally is all of Indianapolis, right?
That's the whole point they are making. The stereotype, and I'm sure there are some people like this, though I've never met any, is that anyone that lives in Hamilton County (Fishers, Noblesville, Carmel, etc) is afraid of venturing at all into Indianapolis. Thus they don't go south of 96th Street.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 AM

50 posts, read 53,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
That's the whole point they are making. The stereotype, and I'm sure there are some people like this, though I've never met any, is that anyone that lives in Hamilton County (Fishers, Noblesville, Carmel, etc) is afraid of venturing at all into Indianapolis. Thus they don't go south of 96th Street.
oh, ok. I guess reading comprehension isn't really my strong suit.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 PM

600 posts, read 824,760 times
This is pretty wild, so a shooting happened at Broad Ripple then over a scuffle ? Usually there is police at Broad Ripple on the weekends, I used to see several police vehicles sitting in front of The Vogue all the time. I wouldn't consider Broad Ripple a 'bad area', but that's too bad that happened. The other nightlife is downtown and there is always pretty heavy police presence at all time, esp that area near Howl at the Moon, Blu, Slippery Noodle.

I lived in Marion County for 7 years, living wise, I'd prefer to live in the immediate downtown, or I'd live outside of the 465 loop or on the very edge. My apartment was right at Marion County/Hamilton County with 465 on the outside. The city from 465 inwards to downtown is not what I'd consider the most desirable living situation, but that's just me,

That's very interesting that the crime is so high this year. I never really felt unsafe the past 7 years I lived there. Hopefully the crime isn't a result of a struggling economic situation. I remember there was a shooting either this year or late last year, but a clerk was robbed on the westside off 38th/Highschol road which is a bad area. The robbers asked for cash and when the clerk refused, they gunned him down and stole candy bars instead.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
This is pretty wild, so a shooting happened at Broad Ripple then over a scuffle ? Usually there is police at Broad Ripple on the weekends, I used to see several police vehicles sitting in front of The Vogue all the time. I wouldn't consider Broad Ripple a 'bad area', but that's too bad that happened. The other nightlife is downtown and there is always pretty heavy police presence at all time, esp that area near Howl at the Moon, Blu, Slippery Noodle.

I lived in Marion County for 7 years, living wise, I'd prefer to live in the immediate downtown, or I'd live outside of the 465 loop or on the very edge. My apartment was right at Marion County/Hamilton County with 465 on the outside. The city from 465 inwards to downtown is not what I'd consider the most desirable living situation, but that's just me,

That's very interesting that the crime is so high this year. I never really felt unsafe the past 7 years I lived there. Hopefully the crime isn't a result of a struggling economic situation. I remember there was a shooting either this year or late last year, but a clerk was robbed on the westside off 38th/Highschol road which is a bad area. The robbers asked for cash and when the clerk refused, they gunned him down and stole candy bars instead.
Last September 4 people were shot outside a club in Broad Ripple. It's not the first time this has happened. I also haven't seen the official numbers but I don't feel like crime is any higher this year than normal, really.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:45 AM

56 posts, read 75,670 times
Having actually lived right in broad ripple for several years, I feel it's as safe an areas anywhere else I've lived, including Hamilton and Johnson counties. I literally don't lock my doors most nights. The trouble makers come in on the strip late on weekends...and honestly it's so crowded over there I don't venture there on Fri or Sat nights. There are much better places further south on college. Now l live many blocks away from the bars, I'd feel different if I lived real close where all the traffic is. All said though, I have preferred broad ripple living 10x over my time in Carmel, Westfield, and Greenwood.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Another homicide on the Northwestside. Also a shooting on 56th this morning between drivers.

Police investigate 2 bodies found at Northwestside home

Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
So........is this thread now a place for people in HamCo to bemoan terror every time there is a domestic dispute in Marion County?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 PM

53 posts, read 134,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruascott View Post
Having actually lived right in broad ripple for several years, I feel it's as safe an areas anywhere else I've lived, including Hamilton and Johnson counties. I literally don't lock my doors most nights. The trouble makers come in on the strip late on weekends...and honestly it's so crowded over there I don't venture there on Fri or Sat nights. There are much better places further south on college. Now l live many blocks away from the bars, I'd feel different if I lived real close where all the traffic is. All said though, I have preferred broad ripple living 10x over my time in Carmel, Westfield, and Greenwood.
Seconded. My wife and I are in our late 20s now a neither we, nor our friends, really ever venture into Broad Ripple anymore past maybe 10:00. We went to Rathskeller the night of the 4th and after the music shut off at 11 we decided to visit Broad Ripple since most everything else downtown was closed. We walked around the corner onto 62nd and, despite what the news stories say about that evening, the place was pretty dead. Nyx had a line 100 people long, Kilroy's had an OK crowd, and pretty much everything else was nearly empty around midnight. The sidewalk was moderately busy, but definitely not as packed as I'd seen it many times a few years back. It used to be shoulder to shoulder in Brothers or Beaver on a Friday night just a couple years ago, but the night of the 4th was just depressing. We called it a night after literally 5 minutes, of course waking up to the news of 7 people having been shot just a couple hours later.

Still, we love being in the area and hope what happens on Broad Ripple Ave between midnight and 3am doesn't spill out into the actual neighborhood. It's still certainly proven to be a desirable part of town, despite what some north-of-96th folks want to think. For example, my wife and I looked at the house @ the NE corner of 54th and Broadway in the spring of 2010 when we were looking. It was listed at $209k and while we really liked it, there were a couple things that weren't exactly what we were looking for and we settled on a place just a few blocks away. That same house came back up for sale a couple months ago...this time for $260k. The owners hadn't done a thing to update it and it had a sold sign on it in less than a week. There are homes being renovated and sold all over the place. Values on my block have soared in the 4 years since we've moved in.

Agree with you about better places being farther south on College. With Fat Dan's, 20 Tap, Delicia, now E+D and even Sinking Ship, there isn't much reason to go to Broad Ripple anymore. Aside from maybe Irvington or Old North Side, it's the only place in the metro area I'd ever want to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis