Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Per Ballard's press conference "Indianapolis is on pace to record nearly 150 murders for the year, well above last year's 125."
You could go back in time to various points over the years at which Indianapolis was "on pace" to set some kind of record.

In fact, you started threads about this in 2013 more than once. Now tell me, did Indianapolis top those record paces you were screaming about last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
As far as constructive solutions to the crime situation I am curious to see if Indy residents are in favor of the free rent for officers plan?

Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
As far as constructive solutions to the crime situation I am curious to see if Indy residents are in favor of the free rent for officers plan?
It is a good idea that should not be limited to police, and should not be considered a cure to crime on its own. In fact, it would be a good idea independent of the crime angle. If playing on people's emotions gets a program like this in place, then so be it.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is a good idea that should not be limited to police, and should not be considered a cure to crime on its own. In fact, it would be a good idea independent of the crime angle. If playing on people's emotions gets a program like this in place, then so be it.
How about offering to all city employees, including police and firefighters, as a start? Two years rent-free in designated areas with option to purchase home with reduced interest rate after two years?

I like the idea, not sure why Ballard doesn't.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Do you stop visiting Philadelphia, Chicago, Kansas City, Atlanta, New York City, Houston, Nashville, and Jacksonville every time the news cries wolf about crime? I've seen all of the cities highlighted on the news about crime problems in the last couple of years. Did these cities all empty out and lose their tourism industries?
It's not all about tourism. People don't stop visiting these places because they have safe areas that are worth visiting. They do, however, stop moving to places where large areas are considered unsafe and when they hear start hearing about random people getting shot like the man who was just out riding his bike in Indy not that long ago. I have friends that live in the Woodruff Place vicinity (north of Michigan, a few blocks east of Arsenal Tech). One was just robbed at gunpoint while sitting on his front porch. The young man, who my friend says looked nervous, just came in through the front gate, walked up on his porch, pulled a gun on him, and robbed him. My friend thinks it may have been a gang initiation.

That sort of thing will not keep me from visiting my friends. Crime isn't so bad yet that I won't even venture into most neighborhoods, but it most certainly is bad enough that it would stop me from moving into or investing in parts of the city. Crime, and perception of crime, most definitely have at least some affect on a city in this way. Not that Indy is anywhere near as bad as Detroit, but that city emptied out and lost a lot of it's tourism not only because of the lack of jobs but also because of how bad crime got there. This isn't about the media crying wolf on occasion. That happens everywhere. I don't know about all the cities you listed, but I think the perception of the NYC crime and homicide rates is that they have been improving since the 80's. NYC also has a LOT more reasons to visit for a lot of people so crime. Nashville just had it's lowest murder rate in 50 years in 2013.

The point is: Indy's crime rate is not at a point where it's going to destroy the city, but it most certainly can have a negative affect on people's perceptions and be detrimental to the city's growth and improvement.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Per Ballard's press conference "Indianapolis is on pace to record nearly 150 murders for the year, well above last year's 125."

What do you think about the proposal to allow IMPD officers to live rent-free for two years in high crime neighborhoods? I have heard opinions both pro and con.
In Hampton Roads there are LEO housing in HUD communities. It works.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
when they hear start hearing about random people getting shot like the man who was just out riding his bike in Indy not that long ago.
Quote:
I have friends that live in the Woodruff Place vicinity (north of Michigan, a few blocks east of Arsenal Tech). One was just robbed at gunpoint while sitting on his front porch. The young man, who my friend says looked nervous, just came in through the front gate, walked up on his porch, pulled a gun on him, and robbed him. My friend thinks it may have been a gang initiation.
I've said it before on this forum.............it is too bad the media gets into such a frenzy about the homicide rate, and it is too bad people from the suburbs hop onto the internet and cry about the homicide rate. It detracts from the real conversation, and the real issues that have real impact on most people. I live pretty close to Woodruff Place (though thanks for the explanation on where it is, i guess?), I know someone that was robbed in the alley behind their house last spring on Middle Drive. It was around midnight on a weekend. Some people will hear those stories and shy away from the city. That happens, in real life. There is nothing wrong with that. I know a lot more people who have never been robbed in the city. Not once. Some people where hear that and think, "I want to live in the city." Some people will hear both and not care.

Quote:
I don't know about all the cities you listed, but I think the perception of the NYC crime and homicide rates is that they have been improving since the 80's. NYC also has a LOT more reasons to visit for a lot of people so crime. Nashville just had it's lowest murder rate in 50 years in 2013.

The point is: Indy's crime rate is not at a point where it's going to destroy the city, but it most certainly can have a negative affect on people's perceptions and be detrimental to the city's growth and improvement.
It was in context of conversation, poster one saying Indy on national news OMG; I was just pointing out to poster one some cities I have heard on the news for bad things that have happened. I forgot New Orleans, they had a shooting on Bourbon Street recently. I guess we all think New Orleans is no longer worth visiting now too?

No, of course not. That's the point.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM

50 posts, read 53,125 times
Quote:
a better plan would be to let residents live in those neighborhoods rent free. Then maybe instead of turning to crime they could use their money to get themselves intoa better position instead of having to spend it on rent.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
That is a hard sell for the taxpayers who would be footing that bill, many who live in perfectly safe hoods. Indy crime increase in large part due to outside influence from places like chicago and detroit where the mentality is very different among the criminals. How do you combat that?

Old 07-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
That is a hard sell for the taxpayers who would be footing that bill, many who live in perfectly safe hoods. Indy crime increase in large part due to outside influence from places like chicago and detroit where the mentality is very different among the criminals. How do you combat that?
Would you rather the abandoned houses in Indy be torn down or put to some kind of use. Either way, the taxpayer picks up the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis