Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 12:14 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times

Advertisements

St. Louis and Cincinnati have some great housing stock and this may because houses built in 1950 are better built than many 1990s and on cookie cutters. This may be the result of Indy being a newer city.

I prefer Indy's downtown to Cincy and St Louis but these 2 cities have some great housing stock (central west end, suburbs like Clayton). Broad Ripple also has some good housing stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 02:19 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
St. Louis and Cincinnati have some great housing stock and this may because houses built in 1950 are better built than many 1990s and on cookie cutters. This may be the result of Indy being a newer city.

I prefer Indy's downtown to Cincy and St Louis but these 2 cities have some great housing stock (central west end, suburbs like Clayton). Broad Ripple also has some good housing stock.
Indianapolis has been around since the 1830's.

In 1950 the population was over 425,000. Just to put that in perspective that's nearly the size of the city proper of Atlanta in 2010.

Yes, it does have a lot less older housing stock than peer cities, and yes it is slightly younger, but it should still have a great deal, unless they took the Charlotte or Atlanta approach, and destroying the old buildings to make way for the new ones.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:29 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Indianapolis has been around since the 1830's.

In 1950 the population was over 425,000. Just to put that in perspective that's nearly the size of the city proper of Atlanta in 2010.

Yes, it does have a lot less older housing stock than peer cities, and yes it is slightly younger, but it should still have a great deal, unless they took the Charlotte or Atlanta approach, and destroying the old buildings to make way for the new ones.
Indianapolis demolished a good portion of their housing stock in the 50s and 60s. Indy at one time had several flatiron buildings. These triangular-shaped buildings were constructed where angled avenues bisect the city’s grid-patterned streets. One such flatiron block that has seen several changes is at the intersection of East Washington and Pennsylvania Streets and Virginia Avenue. One of the few flatiron buildings remaining is the C.J. Walker building.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:28 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

I really like the homes on Meridian between say 65th and 38th.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:59 PM

Default I agree with Serious Comversation

Homes on Meridian north of 38th to meridian hills are quite nice. Wish there were more of these than just a few blocks east and west of meridian.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:36 PM

143 posts, read 217,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I really like the homes on Meridian between say 65th and 38th.
My aunt actually just bought and completely redid one of these homes on Meridian. While her house and the surrounding houses are nice, at the end of her block is an eyesore of an apartment tower, and two blocks south is even worse. I wish that there could be more of these gorgeous old homes than just a few blocks of Meridian, but unfortunately there's not. As more and more of these old houses like my aunt's get restored, hopefully the momentum will move forward to the surrounding areas, but only time will tell.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:37 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
It 's boring and lacking the things you'd expect in a 2 million plus metro. It has a small skyline, low diversity, low dense areas, low number of higher education facilities, higher than average crime rate, higher than average blighted areas. It's not for me. Indy's only bright spot is its economy.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:04 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It 's boring and lacking the things you'd expect in a 2 million plus metro. It has a small skyline, low diversity, low dense areas, low number of higher education facilities, higher than average crime rate, higher than average blighted areas. It's not for me. Indy's only bright spot is its economy.
If you're bored than you're boring, thus speaketh Harvey Danger.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:53 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
If you think Indy has a higher than average number of blighted areas then you obviously haven't visited very many large American cities. Besides having a good economy the area's population is growing fastest than most Midwest cites. That fact alone flies in the face of your Indy sucks agenda.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:17 AM

Default Indy

Indy is pretty diverse. The suburbs, not so much.

Relatively few Hispanics and Asians but I expect these will grow, particularly Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis