U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2007, 08:17 AM

28 posts, read 95,498 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I'm totally clueless about Indianapolis, but I *may* just possibly have a chance to transfer/relocate there if I act quick (I currently live -- if you can call it living <g> -- in Brooklyn, NY).

I'm given to understand that I'd be working around West South Street and South Capitol Avenue.

Questions:

1. I was told this was a "downtown" area, but I suspect that "downtown" in Indianapolis is rather different to what I'm used to (in Brooklyn & Manhattan). What's the area like?

2. Are there no-frills, cheap, but clean & well maintained, apartments in the area? What does a 2br apartment run?

3. Within a three to five mile radius, how cheap do safe, clean, no frills apartments (or houses?) come?

4. How far away from "downtown" does a poor man with a (formerly) stray cat to support <g> need to go to find cheap, clean, safe (from crime and chemicals) housing, and, again, how cheap is cheap?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide, and best holiday regards to all!

Cordially,
[whatever my pseudonym is here]

P.S. Hopping down and looking around isn't a option for me; you kind souls are my eyes and ears! <g>
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 10:25 AM

17,605 posts, read 25,209,777 times
Sweetanna will be able to direct you in the right direction! I think you'll be shocked coming from Brooklyn. Plus, if your nick has any truth to it, you'll love living in Indiana!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 AM

200 posts, read 617,481 times
You're going to find that a poor man's living in NY will be a rich man's living in IN...cost of living here is definitely lower than NY!

You might check out Zender Properties. They often include the cost of basic utilities in the rent price, and most allow small pets with a minimal deposit.

http://www.zender.us/

Old 12-21-2007, 12:25 PM

2,801 posts, read 5,880,983 times
Right now a brand new home can be found just south of the downtown for around $94,000. flock.com and scroll to the bottom of the <150000 houses. You can look right out at the stadium. Of course you can also go less and go more. Fletcher Place, Fountain Square on the close SE side have a lot of interesting properties and the neighborhood development organization is well developed. There are nice brick converted apartments in a great area on the north side for 60,000-90,000. There is even a brick commercial building with an apartment above close to downtown if you have a business need for <200,000 and maybe much less than that(I cannot remember the exact price.) Depends on job, credit, car, etc.

It would be a walk under the interstate and then past our new stadium but could result in cheaper transportation.

I am not sure about apartments. I would do some internet searches. I live about 7 blocks or so north of the middle of the downtown which is a historic area and getting kind of pricey for apartments but there are still loads of them all over the area. The larger houses can have carriage house apartments, etc.

Depends so much on what you like and since I have 5 cats, never considered rentals. There is so much available.

It will be an adjustment from NYC but maybe a good one. We are a lot quieter, cheaper, but with fewer amenities close. I mean to give up NYC groceries and ethnic areas, hmmmm. I keep wanting to travel and stay for awhile.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:14 AM

Hello, and happy holidays to all!

Thanks for the info on the housing situation near downtown Indianapolis! The first real estate aid I stumbled upon was for a 1.7 million dollar home (!!!), but, if you chaps are sure that cheaper housing exists, I'll take you word for it. ;-)

(Actually, the second RE ad I found was for a $9,000 home, and just yesterday I saw an ad for a 3.5 million dollar home. Gosh, IN has homes for every budget! ;-)

I hate to be a pest, but since it's what I'm good at <g> ...

a. I'd like to stay close enough to my job -- if I get it! -- so that I could bicycle or jog to work. Within a five or so radius of "Monument Circle," are there any areas that are particularly desirable or undesirable as far as picking somewhere to live?

b. One of "sweetana3"'s comments struck a note with me; perhaps someone can expound upon it. Does Indianapolis have any disused extant industrial/commercial spaces that can be had cheaply and that could be used as a live/work space? Something like a NY "artist's" loft (or small building)?

c. As I mentioned, I've been checking out Indianapolis RE ads for homes near "downtown." The cheapest range from $0 ~ $15,000 and seem to be for houses that are in (every sort of) distress. Moving up a notch in price, the houses seem completely non-palatial but not obviously awful. What sort of house is a $20K Indianapolis house?

By comparison, I'm living in half a half a house (i.e., the ground floor apartment in a two family "semi-attached" house). It was built in '43; it is not in pristine condition; it sits on a parcel of land only slightly larger than the house itself; and is probably worth something like $600,000. Were it to burn down to the ground completely, I still doubt you could purchase the land for less than $100K. This makes imagining a $20K house kind of difficult.

Thanks again for the help, and good luck with Santa!

Cordially,
[Red something, blue something]

Old 12-25-2007, 04:11 PM

Have you contacted a realtor yet? You seem to be asking market questions. But you are right, there are homes here for every budget. Are you looking strictly at single family, or would you be willing to look at converted condo spaces?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:08 AM

Hello Domergurl,

Thanks for replying.

No, I haven't spoken to a realtor yet. Ever. And, yes, I'm asking market questions (in addition to neighborhood questions).

My position is perhaps unusual in that I have little control over if/when I move. Since it may be impractical for me to visit the area before deciding whether or not to transfer there, I'm trying to acquire as much information as possible. Also, finding larger & cheaper housing is probably my main reason for wanting to flee NYC, so the housing market in Indianapolis is of great importance to me.

My desire is to find a small building I can live in. Whether it is a single family house, a two family house (Is a two family house a two family house if only one person lives in it? Gosh, real estate is thought provoking. <g>), some sort of small commercial property which I could legally occupy, or a Army surplus TEMPER tent, I'm open to considering all possibilities. If becoming a property owner should be beyond my financial means, then I'd certainly be willing to consider an apartment. I am not inclined towards a condo/co-op, but I've done lots of things that I wasn't inclined towards. Sigh. <g>

With best (holiday) regards,

Cordially,
RedManInBlueState

P.S. I must say that I am both offended by and disagree with your signature. I am offended by it as it reminds me that I never got to throw a hand grenade during Basic Training. I disagree with it for similar reasons: I've been lead to believe that "flinging" a hand grenade is far more cathartic and palliative than simply flinging anything (else) or nothing at all. <g>

Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 AM

172 posts, read 337,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedManInBlueState View Post
... Since it may be impractical for me to visit the area before deciding whether or not to transfer there, I'm trying to acquire as much information as possible. <g>
All the more reason to contact a Realtor. A good one should be happy to send you info on neighborhoods, local flavor, pricing and anything else you may want. Generally, they're paid by the Seller so there's no cost to you. Call a couple a choose one you're confortable with. You'll be happy you did.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedManInBlueState View Post
Hello Domergurl,

P.S. I must say that I am both offended by and disagree with your signature. I am offended by it as it reminds me that I never got to throw a hand grenade during Basic Training. I disagree with it for similar reasons: I've been lead to believe that "flinging" a hand grenade is far more cathartic and palliative than simply flinging anything (else) or nothing at all. <g>
\

I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not, but my sig is from a episode of Northern Exposure ... it has nothing to do with grenade flinging .... they flung a burned out piano from a catapault ...

Old 12-26-2007, 10:18 AM

16 posts, read 22,112 times
RedMan:

here is something to check out for downtown housing. http://www.sendcdc.org/

I live in Fountain Square and bought a house fron SEND when I was looking for an apartment. Much cheaper than renting! You do have to qualify financially, though.
Anyway, it could be a good start for more info. about living downtown, which I recommend TOTALLY. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Indy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis