Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 PM

260 posts, read 1,346,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julrey View Post
The quality of local bands may be entirely subjective but the number of touring bands coming to Indy is verifiably pathetic. Just go to Pollstar.com and check out the listings for other major cities in the area and then compare that to the listing for Indy. The majority of bands playing Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, etc. bypass Indy altogether on their way to Chicago or St. Louis. Think about what this means: they're coming through this way anyhow but make a conscious decision to bypass Indianapolis. This is pretty much irrefutable proof that the music scene here sucks, although the reason why might be left open for speculation. Just because a major or mid-level artist rolls through town once every month or two doesn't amount to a quality music scene. In a city this size a person with broad musical tastes should have some show worth going to at least once a week, if not virtually daily.
True, i dind't realize your were talking about touring bands. I've always been a more non-mainstream sort of person and find plenty of good "indie" type venues to check out. But there are a lot of "label signed" bands i'm into that, your right, seem to bypass Indy. But again, just depends on what your into....find a place with a music scene more to your liking and you may find jobs hard to come by, high cost of living, or ridiculously high property values...ther are always trade off's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Depends on what kind of music one likes. I was incredibly surprised at how many great touring bands I saw at IU in Bloomington. Mind you they were They Might Be Giants, the Connells and others .. but thats my taste in music. Never much went for the stadium or mainstream concerts.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Depends on what kind of music one likes. I was incredibly surprised at how many great touring bands I saw at IU in Bloomington. Mind you they were They Might Be Giants, the Connells and others .. but thats my taste in music. Never much went for the stadium or mainstream concerts.
"Build a little bird house in your soul......"

Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGibby View Post
"Build a little bird house in your soul......"
I loved the episode of Pushing Daisies where that song was featured prominently. My kids LOVE TMBG now. My youngest calls them Mighty Giants ... hey, he's 3.

Istanbul was Constantinople.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I loved the episode of Pushing Daisies where that song was featured prominently. My kids LOVE TMBG now. My youngest calls them Mighty Giants ... hey, he's 3.

Istanbul was Constantinople.
I've never seen that show...I would have thougt that they would have went for the more obvious Ween song...."Push the little daisies and make em come up...."

Yup, with kids myself I've noticed TMBG have found a new life with TV show theme songs, who would've thunk????

If you have a date in Constantinople, she'll be waiting in Istanbul...Even old New York was once New Amsterdam....and let's not forget Particle Man, he's doing the best a particle can...lol

You hip with Johny Socko or the Fuglees?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 PM

SOCKO!!! I'm dm-ing you dude.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:54 PM

87 posts, read 321,151 times
Who said anything about mainstream bands? The indie bands that come through are few and far between also compared to other cities of this size, or even in the Great Lakes area for that matter

Old 01-06-2008, 06:04 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
From an outsiders perspective, I was pretty impressed last year when we visited. It was during the Indy 500 and the NFL had just given the Super Bowl to Dallas. I was stunned. Indy would make a much better location than the new "Dallas" stadium in Arlington. So much more to do, more pedestrian friendly downtown, and more of a vibe.

I enjoyed it so much that I'm even rooting for the Colts to go to the Super Bowl to play Dallas. Of course, once there, I'll be rooting for the Cowboys. Just because I don't think we should've got the SB, doesn't mean I'm disloyal to the Boys.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 PM

87 posts, read 321,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
From an outsiders perspective, I was pretty impressed last year when we visited. It was during the Indy 500 and the NFL had just given the Super Bowl to Dallas. I was stunned. Indy would make a much better location than the new "Dallas" stadium in Arlington. So much more to do, more pedestrian friendly downtown, and more of a vibe.
One problem though: the weather sucks that time of year in Indianapolis, which is why the southern cities get Super Bowls so much more often than the northern ones. Besides, from the league's POV it's hard to argue with another 27,000 seats to fill.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
True. Although the weather in Dallas is very iffy. It was 40F most of this week. Now we've go the windows open and are discussing the AC because it's been close to 80F all day. Last year it snowed on Easter and Santa was baking his rear off during our annual caroling event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis