Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 48,958 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a rental house in Fountain Square, and was wondering if anyone on these boards lived in that neighborhood. Is the crime high there? I visited the neighborhood for the first time last fall and thought is was a fun, urban neighborhood. However, I am concerned about actually living there. Perhaps I am excessively paranoid, but I do not want to get jacked on my bike or car while cruising through the neighborhood. I know the grocery shopping situation is not great, and I do not remember seeing a gas station in the area.

Please, if you do not live there, I do not care what you have to say. I do not care what your friend says, or what you saw when you drove through once. That is not informative, and usually is wrong info anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
I'm not sure of the exact website, but you can go to the Indianapolis Police Department website and search police activity by address. For example if you put in 123 fountain square st., it will look at all the activity within a certain distance.

Sorry I don't have a link for you right now, I'll try to come back later. By the way, if you need a realtor, give me a look!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 PM

79 posts, read 461,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieFullEffect View Post
I am looking at a rental house in Fountain Square, and was wondering if anyone on these boards lived in that neighborhood. Is the crime high there? I visited the neighborhood for the first time last fall and thought is was a fun, urban neighborhood. However, I am concerned about actually living there. Perhaps I am excessively paranoid, but I do not want to get jacked on my bike or car while cruising through the neighborhood. I know the grocery shopping situation is not great, and I do not remember seeing a gas station in the area.

Please, if you do not live there, I do not care what you have to say. I do not care what your friend says, or what you saw when you drove through once. That is not informative, and usually is wrong info anyway.
I purchased a home in Fountain Square 2 years ago. I can't comment on actual crime stats, but the worst that's happened to me is a stolen bicycle off my front porch (really my fault for not bringing it in or locking it up.) I walk & bike the neighborhood at all hours and I haven't had any trouble.

I do hear sirens and I have witnessed people getting arrested though.. I haven't heard any gun shots since I've been here.. That seems to be a good sign.

I would say you just need to be aware of your surroundings and not put yourself in any compromising situations and you'll be fine.

There are few gas stations in the area. There is one is across from Santorini on Prospect.. It was a Clark station but I think it's privately owned now. There are 2 at the intersection of Shelby & Pleasant Run Pkwy. There is also a Speedway on English just east of State. There is also the Citgo at Ohio & East.

As far as groceries, I go to Bud's for like.. mustard.. Stuff that I need really quick or whatever. O'malia's/Marsh Freshmarket is pretty close and I do some shopping there as well. I do most of my shopping at Wild Oats though, I'd kill for one downtown.

In all I really enjoy living here, I'm close to everything and I don't have to drive much at all. There are plenty of restaurants, bars, shops and attractions nearby to keep me pretty much in FS/Downtown and it's getting better all the time.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:47 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
http://www.indygov.org/eGov/IMPD/home.htm (broken link)
Click on Crime View Community

Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM

17 posts, read 35,403 times
Default Quirky Fountain Square!!

I moved to here after IU grad school in Bloomington and I bought my house in 2000 on the east side of Fountain Square. Every once in a while the "hood" gets on my nerves, BUT I now am certain that would not want to live anywhere else in Indy. It is so convenient and I often don't travel beyond a 2 mile radius for everything I need. Weekends can be very peaceful, unless there is some big game or event. Then I just avoid the mess. I agree with post above about the particulars of shopping, etc. (there is a Speedway on the corner of East St. and Morris St.) Things are improving here all the time. I have seen that with my own eyes. The city is putting in all new sidewalks on my street and they did that down East St. a couple years ago.

As for crime, in the eight years I've lived here I've seen some really stupid things and have called the police a few times, but it is usually minor stuff. This is the most urban place I've lived and I felt a little wary when I moved here but I've found it isn't as bad as I expected. However, I always remain vigilant and would anywhere I live. The "crime" that I've seen most is "ignorance", but I don't think that is considered a crime. Also poverty is not a crime. But these are the legacies left in FS due to the flight from the city decades ago (see following comment about northsiders).

People in Indy, especially the northsiders, often raise their eyebrows with concern when I say where I live. I've learned that attitude is exagerated in their own minds. It is also good filler for local news because stories from the "bad side" of town makes the "good side" of town feel better about itself......wink-wink.

Honestly, I would not live anywhere else in this city. I'm NOT a mall shopper/consumer NOR a sports fan. I love to walk, I love the downtown canal area, the White River Gardens. I love my 1896 rehabbed house. I can see the July 4th fireworks without leaving my backyard that is big enough to have a nice garden. I love the little FS commercial district, library branch, Shelbi Cafe, etc. I have good neighbors and I have neighbors that I only wave to.

If you don't need your external surroundings to always reflect back a picture perfect, manicured image that conforms to an idea of "success", you might like it here. Unless the economy really tanks, I think FS will become the next interesting downtown neighborhood in more that just potential.

Hope this helps. I knew nobody when I moved here.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,227 times
I have lived in the south end of Fountain Square for the past 3 1/2 years. I have never had any trouble but for someone siphoning my gas and that was back when prices were near $5/gal. There is a close sense of community with those who care. There IS a neighorhood grocer and gasoline both south and east within two minutes. (There are two stations just out my back door and over the brook.) There is an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Station near the center of the area and they are very diligent. There is a perception that the area is not safe, but it is a perception, not a fact. Please come and help us restore this historical neighborhood. There is lots of help and encoragement. I hope this helps you in your quest. - Resident

Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
I do acknowledge that the OP was almost 2 years ago, but for future info seekers......

As I bang on the wooden desk my computer sits on, I have never, NEVER had a problem down here in Fountain Square as far as crime is concerned. Mind you, I have only lived here 7 months; but I have walked with and without my dog with no fear, no problems; daylight or dark. I have even walked east of State Av on a couple of occasions. I rarely shop at Bud's; but that is not an indictment on Bud's, I simply prefer other stores.

The biggest problem I have in Fountain Square, is the complete lack of parking skills by some of my neighbors, and people leaving trash in the alleys.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 14,861 times
I was born and grew up in the Fountain Square area and know some wonderful people who have lived there for 50+ years. I can tell you that this neighborhood is like any other - - if you don't lock your doors when you leave, a homeless person might come wondering in sooner or later. To the near east of Fountain Square is a shopping center called Twin Aire, complete with a bank, laundromat, grocery store, fast food, hardware, etc. very nice. If you look around you will see that there is a great deal of effort to rebuild, i.e. a duplex right there on South Keystone that rents for $400/mo. has new ceramic tile in kit and bath, new laminated flooring, light oak. And, let's put it this way: if you are a good neighbor, you will have tons of them in that Fountain Square area.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerls View Post
I was born and grew up in the Fountain Square area and know some wonderful people who have lived there for 50+ years. I can tell you that this neighborhood is like any other - - if you don't lock your doors when you leave, a homeless person might come wondering in sooner or later. To the near east of Fountain Square is a shopping center called Twin Aire, complete with a bank, laundromat, grocery store, fast food, hardware, etc. very nice. If you look around you will see that there is a great deal of effort to rebuild, i.e. a duplex right there on South Keystone that rents for $400/mo. has new ceramic tile in kit and bath, new laminated flooring, light oak. And, let's put it this way: if you are a good neighbor, you will have tons of them in that Fountain Square area.

Sorry, but that is not like many other neighborhoods.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:13 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Sorry, but that is not like many other neighborhoods.
Are you suggesting people who leave their doors unlocked in Brownsburg will never have their homes burglarized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis