Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,875 times

Advertisements

My partner and I looking to relocate. I have some family in Indianapolis and have always been in love with the city. We are considering relocating to IN, our biggest concern is how my money he can make. We are leaving NE because of the cost of living. We can not catch a break here so that we can get ahead. Indiana has a lower cost of living, but our long term goals means that IN is may not be our last stop. We want to be able to "dig out" of our debt and possibly move on.

That being said. My partner is a Chef/Cook and I a former waitress. When we look for openings everything is "DOE." I am sure his work history is sufficient to warrant a fine job, I am wondering what to expect. Currently he is making around (under now, over before a lay off) 40k but our rent and utilities are 40%. After food, gas, cells..... well you know. If we leave here for the Midwest we are hoping that his salary will not change to much, but our cost of living will drop, but are unsure as to what to really expect.

If there is anyone out there who can help us "guesstimate" It would be greatly appreciated.

Also we have one child and two cats. We find it very hard to rent out here. Is IN more child and pet friendly?

TIA

N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
I'm surprised some of the folks haven't responded yet. I totally get where you're coming from...I've only been in Indy 3 months and I have to say, it's the first time I even felt "ahead" of the game.

I can't speak to the types of jobs you'll find available but every single retail or restaurant has hiring signs...it's kind of amazing.

Indiana seems to be very pet friendly...I don't have kids but it seems that way, too! People are walking their dogs or riding their bikes everywhere...we also have two cats...we'd never let them outside but our complex is very compatible for animals.

We moved from Dallas...the cost of living was supposed to be about even, with Indiana coming in a bit lower. However, we have found that most everything is cheaper here. Our car insurance went down about $100 per month. We don't have to drive too far for work...BIG BONUS...so our gas bills are lower. I fill up about every 3 weeks or so vs. the once a week in Dallas. Our utility bill is lower...not running the A/C all the time. I don't know about how winter bills will be but I don't care...I can't wait for the cold weather!

I hope you get long time residents of Indy to respond...they're quite knowledgeable and can help tremendously. And don't listen to any naysayers...sure, everyone's opinion counts, but try to temper it with how you and your partner actually are. Everyone is different but we actually do love it here!

Old 09-19-2014, 01:46 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Indianapolis is pretty cheap overall. I find the taxes high coming from TN, but coming from the northeast, it will be cheap to you.

Car insurance is very cheap here. I drive a Hyundai Elantra and was paying $600/six months in TN. I am paying under $800 annually now.

Rent/home prices are also inexpensive. Gas did hit $4/gallon in some spots this summer, but is now down to $3.25.

$40k may be a stretch, but it may not be either. Jobs here do pay a lot better than the South, but still nothing like the northeast. Still, even if you take a small income hit, you'll probably come out ahead.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:01 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
I thought she said she's from NE...as in Nebraska...but cripes, it makes a lot more sense if it's the Northeast. Sometimes I just have to shake my head! ha!

Old 09-22-2014, 01:23 PM

61 posts, read 127,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivereyes_ View Post
My partner and I looking to relocate. I have some family in Indianapolis and have always been in love with the city. We are considering relocating to IN, our biggest concern is how my money he can make. We are leaving NE because of the cost of living. We can not catch a break here so that we can get ahead. Indiana has a lower cost of living, but our long term goals means that IN is may not be our last stop. We want to be able to "dig out" of our debt and possibly move on.

That being said. My partner is a Chef/Cook and I a former waitress. When we look for openings everything is "DOE." I am sure his work history is sufficient to warrant a fine job, I am wondering what to expect. Currently he is making around (under now, over before a lay off) 40k but our rent and utilities are 40%. After food, gas, cells..... well you know. If we leave here for the Midwest we are hoping that his salary will not change to much, but our cost of living will drop, but are unsure as to what to really expect.

If there is anyone out there who can help us "guesstimate" It would be greatly appreciated.

Also we have one child and two cats. We find it very hard to rent out here. Is IN more child and pet friendly?

TIA

N
Compared to anywhere in the Northeast, the cost of living in Indianapolis is so low it's off the charts. If you're making 40k on the East Coast, that's death wages out there even for a single individual without a kid. Honestly, I live on less than 30k here in Indy. I mean, I live a pretty frugal life, due to student loans that will stretch on till I'm 70. But if I was married and shared the cost of rent, I'd be putting plenty of money in the bank easily, even with my pretty embarrassingly low salary.

I lived on the East Coast for a while and prefer the Midwest in just about every way. Really depends on who you are as a person and what you prioritize. It'll be sleepier here, for sure, but that's a personality thing. The restaurant biz is its own ball-game (I did my time there), but the Midwest in general is just way less stressful and cut-throat of a place than what I experienced of the urban Northeast. Stereotypes of both these places are out there, but you get the picture.

Lot of great restaurants in Indy. Don't try Chicago, cost of living there would be cheaper than the East Coast but still pretty steep. Might consier Madison, Wisconsin -- an absolute ton of restaurants up there, more of a cultured vibe than Indianapolis, and way fewer urban problems. Madison has a huge farm-to-table movement, more of a foodie culture than Indy, and a larger group of East Coast transplants because of the major university.

And if you're out for a visit, might look at Louisville. Insanely cheap by East Coast standards, and (to me at least) Louisville feels like it's got more going on than Indy. Louisville is kind of where the South and the Midwest come together, so you get a little bit of both. I think most of the East Coasters I've known who've visited Indy, Madison, and Louisville have been pretty favorably impressed how little sh*t you have to put up with out here to live a decent life.

The Midwest isn't Mayberry. There's plenty of snootiness, plenty of problems with wealth, crime, and suburban sprawl, if you look for it. I mean, I see the same pampered kids with blank stares I saw on the East Coast. But there just seems to be less of these problems overall. Easier place to get on people's good side. Perfectly good place to raise kids. And way more nature, even in the city. Ton of great natural areas within an easy hour's driving distance of Indy, places even a lot of locals don't know about.

Indy is hideous in some ways, awesome in others. Money-wise, I think you'd be way better off out here. But do the research.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:27 AM

Thank you for the answers! I am coming from Massachusetts. Sorry for the confusion. Apparently I have lived here too long. I am developing the New England arrogance by assuming everyone expects NE to mean New England. I know our cost of living will (should) dramatically decrease. A major concern for me are working conditions. When we moved to New England we were shocked at the conditions. Let me just say we do not eat in many restaurants here.

The pay here is atrocious. Half the places want to pay under the table or very little. My partner is expected to work 60 plus hours on less then 40k (rounded b4, old job 42 new job 37.) In F&B we find you often get screwed as an employee when it comes to breaks and overtime, but it unreal out here. Plus I swear nothing works! We have worked in places that seem to break every health code violation (not necessarily on purpose,) but are never reprimand or expected to change. We quit some places because of these conditions when we first moved here; then found that it's common for places to have these conditions.

I am hoping he can continue to make at least 40K in Indy. I do not see why he shouldn't, but after seeing the conditions here I don't want to "assume" anything. The midwest way of life is very appealing. I originally come from the west coast which is newer and (seeming) more advanced in may ways. The midwest was founded before the west... So I don't know how much has been changed (as little seems to out here. I do know how they pay the tipped employees...another issue...)

We are also looking at moving to CA (big diff I know.) I have close family there that can help with our burden. California has many problems right now that may out weigh a lot of any relief we may receive. We may chance doing it alone in IN over the sweltering West Coast problems right now. Our long term goal is Pacific Northwest 2017-18, but world conditions may affect that and we want to be prepared for a longer stay then expected while maintaining a happy, comfortable lifestyle.

LOVE Louisville!! Beautiful! So green! Stopped over once on my way to Indy. Can you explain why Jim Beam is so effing $$ there. You can practically roll the barrels from the distillery!

As to our Kid and cats. When I look for place here 1 of maybe 30 will allow pets, but they are usually much $$ (I don't mind a deposit or a small pet rent) then once they hear you have a small child the tone changes.

Cheap car insurance would be icing on the cake. I pay over $1000 here for two cars, $900 in Nevada for one car (6mo.) I have a clean driving record. Nothing but a replaced windshield from storm damage.

Thank you for the answers! I am coming from Massachusetts. Sorry for the confusion. Apparently I have lived here too long. I am developing the New England arrogance by assuming everyone expects NE to me New England. I know our cost of living will (should) dramatically decrease. My major concerns are working conditions. When we moved to New England we were shocked at the conditions. Let me just say we do not eat in many restaurants here.

The pay here is atrocious. Half the places want to pay under the table or very little. My partner is expected to work 60 plus hours on less then 40k (rounded b4, old job 42 new job 37.) In F&B we find you often get screwed as an employee when it comes to breaks and overtime, but it unreal out here. Plus I swear nothing works! We have worked in places that seem to break every health code violation (not necessarily on purpose,) but are never reprimand or expected to change. We quit some places because of these conditions then found that it's common for places to have a lot of broken down equipment and services that astound us.

I am hoping he can continue to make at least 40K in Indy. I do not see why he shouldn't, but after seeing the conditions here I don't want to "assume" anything. The midwest way of life is very appealing. I originally come from the west coast which is newer and (seeming) more advanced in may ways. The midwest was founded before the west. I don't know how much has changed (as little seems to out here.)

We are also looking at moving to CA (big diff I know.) I have close family there that can help with our burden. California has many problems right now that out weigh a lot of any relief we may receive. We may chance doing it alone in IN over the sweltering West Coast problems right now. Our long term goal is Pacific Northwest 2017-18.

LOVE Louisville!! Beautiful! So green! Stopped over once on my way to Indy. Can you explain why Jim Beam is so effing $$ there. You can practically roll the barrels from the distillery!

As to our Kid and cats. When I look for place here 1 of maybe 30 will allow pets, but they are usually much $$ (I don't mind a deposit or a small pet rent) then once they hear you have a small child the tone changes.

Cheap car insurance would be icing on the cake. I pay over $1000 here for two cars, $900 in Nevada for one car (6mo.) I have a clean driving record. Nothing but a replaced windshield from storm damage.

Once again thank you for your responses.

Once again thank you for your responses.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:50 PM

140 posts, read 168,023 times
If he could get a managerial position in a chain restaurant he would make around or more than 40k kind of depends on the restaurant as well. Restaurants here have a high turnover rate so they are always hiring. If he just worked as a cook then it might not be the best money.

In indiana the servers minimum wage is $2.14 an hour. Lowest in the entire nation. If you work at a busy restaurant in a good area you could easily make around or over $100 a shift with tips... In a slower and not so great area I would say probably around $40 $50 per shift.. This also depends on many factors such as the type of restaurant the number of servers and level of business but I would say it is a pretty accurate guess.

I hope I answered your question... Indianapolis is cheaper so you should be OK.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Thank you Jada. That does help. He's been in management here for awhile, he should have no problem finding the same style job in Indy. Here he works gobs of hours (10-16 a day/5-7 days a week.) Being as we do not own the restaurant and how considering how little he makes I find this ridiculous. If he could find a regular "line cook" job @ around 40k (with or without over time) would be fabulous. Or a management position @ no more than 50 hours a week or at least enough $$ to make it worth the loss of family time would be good.

As for me . I was a waitress for a long time and loved it. It is such a shame the way we are treated from the mid west on. I've got a lot of thoughts on that.... Not for here.... I may go back to work, I may not....

Thank you for the answers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis