Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:38 PM

56 posts, read 75,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureBlueWolrd View Post
Media Arts and Science. Went for both paid and unpaid internships for anything, didn't get call backs. Tried freelancing, didn't get call backs. Trying for retail jobs, DIDN'T GET CALL BACKS.

I've redone my resume, cover letter, portfolio sites and yet its still the same. This place is a joke.
Really has very little to do with the city, but more your field. It's very difficult to make money in that field, is that not something you at least took into consideration when picking it?

But if it makes you feel better to vent about hating Indy and blaming the city for your problems, than go ahead. But my guess is you would have a pretty similar experience anywhere in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 08:56 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Quote:
Media Arts and Science.
Wow, I'm shocked that you can't find work in INDIANAPOLIS with that degree.

What, you didn't want to try to get a job in Manhattan with a degree in agricultural sciences?

Old 11-27-2014, 06:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Unlike most of the people here, I understood the OPs question clearly and feel their pain. Truth of the matter is, Indy's job market sucks but it takes a special kind if someone to dance around that fact. I graduated from IUPUI last year and have YET to find any sort of job within my field and even worse than that, I'm still having trouble finding a basic job. Sent in tons of resumes, landed maybe three interviews, never got a call back even when I called back to check on the status.

As I said, the job market here sucks plain and simple. We keep hearing so much bullcrap about how jobs are just SAILING into into the state yet we have yet to see any proof of that matter anywhere. Yeah, the housing may be cheap here but for WHAT really? For the minimum? Considering this seems like box-chain heaven that's what it seems like.

If you can move, MOVE. Don't waste your time sitting on your thumbs for promises that won't happen. If opportunity knocks in another state take it and run. Its not worth waiting here and I can say that with all honesty from the bottom om my heart. You have a degree; USE IT. Don't let it rot because you decided to stay here and just 'wait' for the jobs to come. The only thing that will come from waiting is regret and tons of debt that you'll take years to pay off with your Dollar General job, IF you're lucky enough to snag it.
I'm sorry you've been having a difficult time w/ the search for employment. I agree with your assessment. Even while living in the Indy area, I've had much better luck finding interviews and potential opportunities out of state than locally.

I also commiserate w/ respect to the statistics about how the area is growing, new jobs are being created, etc. When I was getting set to move here a few years back, my father was telling me he has heard that Indy is one of the fastest growing areas, etc. Now that I'm on the market for a new position, even he is realizing that this is largely hot air.

I've also been quite frustrated here in terms of dating and social relationships. The singles scene is very slow and people tend to settle down at relatively young ages. I agree 100% with the advice that, if opportunities outside of the Indy area arise, one should take them. I don't believe for one second that things will be materially better 10 years from now than they are today. You may get some improvements on the margins (new apartment buildings, restaurants, etc.) but nothing substantial.

Hope you have the ability to relocate and start looking for opportunities outside the area as well. GL!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:10 PM

179 posts, read 355,950 times
I think the *varieties* of jobs in Indy is relatively limited. If you're in the life sciences sector with degrees in chemistry, biology, or related fields like pharmacy, then yes. If you're in the healthcare industry, like nursing or MD, yes. If your degree is in engineering, high chance. If your degree is in other liberal arts fields, it's a lot more difficult. Even technology companies don't really do a lot here. I have both IT and business background and lived here for almost 10 years and still due to the limited diversity of industries for white collar workers we're moving away. We'll miss Carmel and the roundabouts, but it is quite difficult to find a good paying job outside of certain fields, compared with other places on the coasts or in the south.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I live in Chicago and have been looking for years for a job in indy, but with few interviews. The only other cities I have been looking have been st louis,chicago, and milwaukee. I have gotten calls from employers in all of these cities much more often than indy, even though indiana is supposed to have a decent economy. What gives Indy? I think the true reason for the brain drain is just the lack of decent jobs.
Why do I get the idea that this thread was created just to harp on Indy and attempt to knock it down a notch or two. So you had bad luck looking for jobs in Indy and you had good luck in other cities, oh well, why didn't you just move to those other cities?

Apparently if you've been applying to positions, there are definitely openings and job growth in Indy, they just weren't looking for you. The fact that the other cities' employers gave you an interview doesn't reflect on Indianapolis as a city, merely the luck of the employer in wanting to give you an interview. I'm really having a hard time understanding what you're hinting at here, though I think it's a jab at Indianapolis and not being all that great in the employment sector.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit job market is just as bad if even worse. Lot of Midwestern are moving to the South and Southwest. Midwest is a job place to live if you can get a high paying job thou, the cost of living is much lower than most of the rest of the country. I did hear Indy is a tough place to get good/high paying job in but it depends on what field you are in.
In the recovery from the recession the Midwest and North East have fared the best, the South East and South West are pretty rough for people looking for good paying work, and now since many people are moving there what companies are hiring are being flooded. The housing market crash was also much lower in the Midwest.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:54 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Why do I get the idea that this thread was created just to harp on Indy and attempt to knock it down a notch or two. So you had bad luck looking for jobs in Indy and you had good luck in other cities, oh well, why didn't you just move to those other cities?

Apparently if you've been applying to positions, there are definitely openings and job growth in Indy, they just weren't looking for you. The fact that the other cities' employers gave you an interview doesn't reflect on Indianapolis as a city, merely the luck of the employer in wanting to give you an interview. I'm really having a hard time understanding what you're hinting at here, though I think it's a jab at Indianapolis and not being all that great in the employment sector.
"Why don't you move to these other cities." READ THE POST! I already live in one of these other cities! Why am I required to be "hinting" at anything?

Old 12-19-2014, 07:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
"Why don't you move to these other cities." READ THE POST! I already live in one of these other cities! Why am I required to be "hinting" at anything?

Well, if you really want to live in Indy bad enough then make sure you have more than one set of job skills to hold you over until you can get a job in the field your interested in. When I first moved here I didn't get what I wanted but eventually I moved on to bigger and better things. Saying Indy is a bad job market is painting it with a broad brush stroke. It obviously depends on the field and the demand (supply and demand) and ultimately the person who is applying for that position. I was once homeless so saying you can't I don't buy that argument. Put me in any city and I'll have a job in no time. It's all about attitude and of course the skill set you have to qualify for a position you're trying to obtain. If your work ethic isn't there you won't be very successful. Anyone can have a degree but what good is it if you can't do the job. If I had to hire an employee I will be blunt. Can you do the job? I don't care what school (Harvard or no name university) you went to. Can you? If not don't waste your time to apply here. I'm only interested in people who can get the job done. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Well, if you really want to live in Indy bad enough then make sure you have more than one set of job skills to hold you over until you can get a job in the field your interested in. When I first moved here I didn't get what I wanted but eventually I moved on to bigger and better things. Saying Indy is a bad job market is painting it with a broad brush stroke. It obviously depends on the field and the demand (supply and demand) and ultimately the person who is applying for that position. I was once homeless so saying you can't I don't buy that argument. Put me in any city and I'll have a job in no time. It's all about attitude and of course the skill set you have to qualify for a position you're trying to obtain. If your work ethic isn't there you won't be very successful. Anyone can have a degree but what good is it if you can't do the job. If I had to hire an employee I will be blunt. Can you do the job? I don't care what school (Harvard or no name university) you went to. Can you? If not don't waste your time to apply here. I'm only interested in people who can get the job done. Good luck in your search!
Had no idea, you've certainly climbed the ladder. Good attitude as well.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Had no idea, you've certainly climbed the ladder. Good attitude as well.
Well, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis