U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:17 PM

36 posts, read 43,353 times

Advertisements

Im a 25 year old bio grad trying to find work... any work, in the science field. Not necessarily bio. I'm not looking for high end work or a well paying job or anything. Right now I'm just looking for some kind of temp opportunity to get started. I live in Cleveland right now but I want to move. No necessarily long term, I just want something different as i've been in NE Ohio my entire life. I would def consider moving back at some point as I really like Cleveland, but now's not that time.

I feel like I would love Denver or Seattle, as in general I prefer cold over heat, and I think the mountainous regions are beautiful. I like being outdoors hiking/running and Those areas would have a lot to offer. But I also feel like trying to move that far out without much work experience under my belt might be tricky... I don't really know how people go about moving that long of a distance without a job in place. So right now i'm looking at Buffalo, Columbus, Rochester, maybe Pittsburgh, Indy or Chicago. I'd want to live close to other people my age, and not knowing much about the city I don't really know where that is or where a good area to start looking would be. Does indy have neighborhoods similar to Coventry in Cleveland?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 07:48 PM

9 posts, read 10,091 times
You ever think of NJ? Despite what ppl say NJ is quite beautiful and depending on where you are could be close to the city, Philly or the shore. It is much more diverse in NJ than Indy, global diversity, not just African American or Hispanic diversity. It is expensive, but is known for pharma. Indy isn't bad, it is much more affordable than NJ. I thought at one point Indy was/is considered a hub for biotech. IMO, it is not as pretty as NJ and has fewer sunny days. You may make connections on the east coast you may not make anywhere else. Despite the millions of people you would be surprised at how small it seems at times.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:52 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,199,091 times
I haven't personally been to Coventry, but after googling it a bit, it looks fairly similar to the Broad Ripple Village neighborhood in Indianapolis. Broad Ripple has a ton of bars, but also a good number of excellent local restaurants and shops. Many of the residents are either in college or recent graduates, so it's a great area for young people.

Downtown Indy is another area you'll want to look at. There are thousands of new apartment units that have been recently finished or are under construction. Downtown residents are also mostly college students and young professionals. I personally feel that Downtown is a little more convenient to live in than Broad Ripple. You can bike in a short amount of time to basically anything you need using the Cultural Trail. There are two grocery stores, a mall, a hardware store, small shops, along with many bars, clubs, and restaurants. IU's Medical School/Hospitals and Eli Lilly are also huge employers Downtown, so it may be the most convenient area for you to find a job as well.

Since you mentioned Chicago, I figured that I would say Indy's location is truly an asset. Chicago is just a little under three hours driving distance from Indy, so you can go there for a day or weekend trip whenever you want. Definitely not as great as living there, but it's cheaper and still great to have one of America's best cities so close.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:03 AM

61 posts, read 109,487 times
Part of me can't imagine choosing any of your cities over Denver or Seattle, but I also know a lot of people from out West who really like it here in the Midwest. In some ways I think the West has probably peaked, whereas the Midwest is slowly (achingly slowly, it seems) coming back from its decades-long slump.

If I was going to exchange Cleveland for another city, personally I'd just aim high and try to get a job out west first, then maybe backtrack from there if necessary. I don't know Cleveland, but I can't imagine that Indianapolis is dramatically different culturally. I find people in Indiana extremely friendly once you make an initial overture, though making friends after age 25 is always going to be more of a challenge, pretty much no matter where you live.

Job-wise I think Lilly and IU would be a great bet if you're in the bio field. Then again, there seems to be no shortage of work in health-related industries anywhere in this country, so I guess I question why you would choose Indianapolis other than its affordability. Honestly, I can't really think of anything that makes this city stand out other than low rent. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of things about Indy that I like. But I think I would start looking elsewhere, then maybe revisit Indy somewhere down the list.

On the whole, I think people who love Indianapolis the most are this weird mix of people who have fled New York and realize there's such a thing as space and affordable housing, and kids from Bumchick, IN, who really do find more entertainment here. I don't know what would be the major selling point over Cleveland other than maybe a slightly better economy in Indy. But as usual, I think most of the job growth here is at the extremes of the spectrum. CEO's and Executive Directors on one end, temps, custodians, interns, and 30k jobs on the other. But that's most of America right now.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:23 AM

28,274 posts, read 21,185,751 times
I don't really know anything about Cleveland, but Lilly has some opportunity if you're willing to temp. Direct hire, not so much, but you can probably find something to at least get a little experience under your belt.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:43 AM

4,923 posts, read 5,320,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Ive been to Cleveland many times on business trips so here is how ive seen it.
Indy is much cleaner, safer, faster growing, progressive, lower taxed, more jobs and a better location with easy access to numerous cities.
Cleveland has Lake Erie and even then it leaves a lot to be desired. Lake Erie is still one of the most polluted Great Lakes and we saw it on display earlier this year in Toledo.

Indy is a way better city than Cleveland in every way, not even a close comparison. I would not move to Cleveland ever.... Cleveland and Detroit have way too many social issues. Indy is a way better city in every respect.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:46 AM

I dunno. I'm 50/50 on Indy. I agree Cleveland doesn't sound ideal, but don't chicken out about finding a job in Seattle or Denver if that's what you really want. I made it OK in Indy on a $30,000 job, but that's a much more common salary here. Working in bio would be "high on the hog," but it's not like the majority of new jobs in Indy are all that high-quality.

If you can get a job at Lilly, you'd be crazy not to take it. I think most of the defenders of Indianapolis probably work for Lilly (having a good livelihood will definitely improve your image of a city fast), but Indy's a perfectly good place to get a few years' experience under your belt.

Denver and Seattle both have big drawbacks, but there's also some big payoffs. I wouldn't exchange the Great Lakes scenery for anything, but 3 1/2 hours up to Indiana Dunes (spectacular) and 4+ hours to the good stuff in Michigan gets to be an old drive after a while. (Though FYI: central Indiana is a far cry from the Cascades or the Rockies, but there's plenty of beautiful scenery here once you get back into the boondoggles. Indiana has some of the best state parks in the Midwest.)

Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 AM

404 posts, read 783,778 times
I would just go to Seattle or Denver. If that is where you really wanna be, anywhere else will just feel like settling.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:35 AM

3,771 posts, read 4,334,583 times
Here's my take:

I just moved to Indy five months ago for a very decent job that I couldn't find in Denver or Seattle. I moved from Dallas. I'm originally from Seattle and have relatives and history there and NADA...not even with contacts and 15 years experience could I land a position...the competition is fierce and maybe it is a young person's game, IDK...I also looked extensively in Denver. Both cities offer so much it's crazy but again, because of the gorgeous landscape, the competition is fierce.

And let's not forget the cost of living. My hometown is so expensive that even if I did land a pretty good job with a decent salary, I probably would spend most of that on housing. Holy cow. It was SO disappointing that I couldn't move back home...that my skills and experience just weren't needed on a level where I could actually survive there...even if I did move in with my brother! HA!

Lots of people want to move to those cities...there are so many reasons to, but please PLEASE remember that you must have a job first for those areas because the expense will knock you down pretty quick. One thing you might consider though is that Seattle has a lot of tech so if science (bio) is your field, you very well might find something you're looking for...just be diligent and careful.

I moved to Indy because the cost of living, the quality of life and the overall pace was miles ahead of Dallas (for me, mind you--I'm a little older). The parks ARE fantastic. We've also been to the dunes, Chicago and will probably take another road trip in a couple of weeks. We're always on the move here and it's a lot of fun. I can't speak for the younger crowd...I'm not looking for a husband (already have one!) nor am I starting a family...that seems to be the deal here...anyway, it's a good place to live...

The above poster is right, don't settle...but also, don't be unrealistic. Times are different as you know and landing a job and having some security is pretty dang important.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:19 PM

@ShellNic: as a Seattle native, do you think Washington State's raising the minimum wage to $15 will help or hinder the tight job market out there? I'm intrigued by it, but can see how it might also turn out badly. I feel like it will help keep young people in an expensive city, which in turn has the potential to attract companies to an even more "hip" Seattle, since I believe in tech fields, at least, they'll want to go where young employees are, not here to the Rust Belt. But it could also make the Northwest an even fiercer job market, since on some level it makes the place even more desirable.

As somebody who toyed with the idea of moving out there on a whim once, I gotta say I was grateful for the people who gave me the low-down on how rough it is to find a job in the Pacific Northwest, even at the level of waiting tables. Also amazing to discover how many people (myself included) have made the mistake of assuming it's easy to get a job out West. I know a lot of people who think they're just going to pick up and go to California and find something. California has been hemmoraging people for years, and I don't think most people back East really know about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or