Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 10,632 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are in a unique situation. I am an online consultant and therefore we can move anywhere we choose to without respect to the job market. Our housing budget for 2015 projects to about $150k for buying and $1300-1500/mo. for renting. I'm projecting that if we rent for one more year, our buying price range will increase to about the $180k range.

We currently live near the Jersey Shore and I'm not all that impressed. Home values and property taxes are way too high, and the folks are a bit 'rough'...

So, we are on a nation-wide hunt for a great place to raise our family (Girls, ages 4 and 1, and we are expecting a boy in April).

Indy seems to meet a lot of the essential criteria- great home values that are steady, not rising and falling with the tides; family oriented with down to earth Mid-Western values; big city conveniences out in the safe 'burbs; and really good schools.

I've done my research through these forums and I see that the best places for us are outside of the 465 loop...which makes sense.

So, here is my question: How easy is it to be Jewish in Indianapolis? We are not that religious, but we want to be within a few minutes drive of a Synagogue (if you know about Judaism, that alone tells you how religious we are!), and we rather our kids not be the ONLY Jewish kids in their respective classes.

I see there is a Synagogue, Shaarey Tefilla, on 116th between Zionsville (Of course!) and Carmel, but not much else outside the 465 loop. It actually looks like a perfect fit for us in the perfect neighborhood. But, this is the only option I see in the north or south side of the metro area. Is this the only option to speak of?

Ultimately, I want my kids to be raised in and around good, wholesome family oriented people, no matter their faith- that's why I like the Mid-West so much. So far I've lived in Florida, LA and now the Jersey Shore. I'll take the 'Flyover' for my kids any day! But if anyone has any feedback, I'd be most interested.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Indy's Jewish population has generally resided in Washington Township around Meridian Street and a bit west. This is where you'll find some synagogues, the JCC and the Hasten Hebrew Academy. However, there's a lot of chatter and empirical evidence indicating that the Jewish population is migrating to Carmel. Indy's Jewish population is small but noteworthy. Among Midwest cities, Judaism in Indy is not as significant as it is in Chicago, Cleveland or St. Louis. Still, Judaism is not completely foreign here. Sticking to the aforementioned areas boosts the chances your kids won't be the only Jewish kids in class.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:58 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
The Hebrew Community in the Indianapolis area is very close knit.

I thought there was a relatively new synagogue in Carmel. I believe it's a conservative congregation.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:36 PM

50 posts, read 71,000 times
Indianapolis has a Jewish Community Center:

JCC Indianapolis - Community is our middle name.

They may be able to give you more information about being Jewish in Indy.

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2014, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 10,632 times
Thanks all for these very helpful replies...I am definitely going to be taking a closer look!

Old 12-26-2014, 06:37 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
The Jewish population in Indy is pretty small but very close knit. I do know a few Jewish families around us and they seem to blend in very well. They attend the Synagogue on Meridian street south of 71st and north of Kessler, I am not sure what the name is. Also the JCC (Jewish Community Center) is an awesome place for all kinds of sports and other activities whether one's Jewish or not... I am not Jewish but sometimes I play soccer there with a few friends (none of whom are Jewish) and it's always a great time and the facilities are great.

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 12-26-2014 at 07:36 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 11:08 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,114 times
Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation on 65th & Meridian is a great reform temple.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:39 PM

143 posts, read 237,703 times
I have a good Jewish friend and also an ex-girlfriend who is Jewish. Both of them really like Indy a lot - I don't think they had any problems here. I went to Synagogue once with the ex - the one on 116th near Zionsville. I am not Jewish but I really enjoyed going there - I ended up talking with the Rabbi about guitars after the service! Good luck to you OP!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 8,989 times
We're Jewish in Indy. IHC is the Reform temple, and the largest in Indy. Beth El is ostensibly the Conservative temple, but has has a Reconstructionist rabbinate for over 20 years. Shaarey Tefilla in Carmel is a Conservative spin-off of them. It's still pretty small, but has a loyal and dedicated congregation. It's in a great part of Carmel, and basically in the parking lot of one of the best private schools in the city. Basically the Jews are either in Carmel or in Washington Township, and if the latter, probably in private school. Hasten Hebrew is really good, but the student body is conservadox.

Call the JCC, they'll give you more guidance.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 8,989 times
Default Additional comments

Just an addition to my post above, we actually live in Fishers. There aren't many Jewish people in Fishers- my daughter is the only one in her class, but not her grade. I do think the Jewish population is growing here. Mentioning because the cost of living in Fishers is more reasonable than Zionsville, Carmel, or Washington Township, and the schools are excellent. The drive to IHC is about 25-30 minutes, but we make it 1-2 times a week.
Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis