Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 AM

145 posts, read 273,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
Lightening? Or lightning?

I've lived in Carmel for 10 years and a year in Zionsville before that. I grew up in a very affluent suburb in SoCal, and once I got kids I can't think of a better place to raise a family than Carmel. My kids LOVE their schools and the schools rock for the kids. Do I like the fact that Carmel's politicians have GOP labels but act like Democrats when spending? No. But at least I can SEE the spending work for me, my family, and my home prices. Now if only the mayor would make Carmel more BIKE friendly it'd be the perfect city.
Well, it's definitely a "lightening" rod when you consider it's one of the least ethnically diverse places in the entire Indianapolis metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:23 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,528,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentDisasters View Post
Carmel is a model for what -- pretentious yuppies , unaffordability, and failed "urbanism"?

So sick of people conflating dense suburban living with urbanism. Urbanism isn't just about density, its about an organic street life, diversity, communal ties, and a rich history that can't just be replicated overnight by a city planner or architect or a bunch of real estate speculating NIMBY strangers moving to a neighborhood because its the hot new place to live. Just because you build a bunch of yuppie shops with a three foot setback and street parking as opposed to yuppie shops in a strip mall with a parking lot in front of it, it doesnt suddenly become an urban community. A pig with lipstick on it is still a pig.
Here's Exhibit A for what I'm talking about.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violentdisasters View Post
carmel is a model for what -- pretentious yuppies , unaffordability, and failed "urbanism"?

So sick of people conflating dense suburban living with urbanism. Urbanism isn't just about density, its about an organic street life, diversity, communal ties, and a rich history that can't just be replicated overnight by a city planner or architect or a bunch of real estate speculating nimby strangers moving to a neighborhood because its the hot new place to live. Just because you build a bunch of yuppie shops with a three foot setback and street parking as opposed to yuppie shops in a strip mall with a parking lot in front of it, it doesnt suddenly become an urban community. A pig with lipstick on it is still a pig.
+1

rm

Old 03-03-2015, 07:26 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Carmel isn't a bad place to live at all when talking about Indianapolis area or central Indiana in general.

To be sure, all the negative stereotypes about suburbs apply here - bland, contrived, pretentious, unoriginal, etc...

But let's face it - what are we comparing it to ? Indy city proper isn't exactly a burgeoning cosmopolitan metropolis full of distinct walkable neighborhoods and complete with modern public transport. Some places aren't too bad but most of it is every bit as bland as Carmel or Fishers with higher crime to boot.

I've lived in both and can see both sides of the argument but in reality, the two sides are closer to each other than either wants to admit
I am not sure why there is this outright hostility toward the suburbs from the "urban" crowd. If you want a dense, walkable, bike friendly, super urban vibe, you probably wouldn't be in Indy in the first place. This isn't Philly, Chicago, NYC, or Boston.

I went down College Avenue to Broad Ripple from Carmel Saturday. Most of that area really doesn't feel urban at all - it is still car-centric suburban development, although older and perhaps "classier" depending on one's taste than the newer suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
Lightening? Or lightning?

I've lived in Carmel for 10 years and a year in Zionsville before that. I grew up in a very affluent suburb in SoCal, and once I got kids I can't think of a better place to raise a family than Carmel. My kids LOVE their schools and the schools rock for the kids. Do I like the fact that Carmel's politicians have GOP labels but act like Democrats when spending? No. But at least I can SEE the spending work for me, my family, and my home prices. Now if only the mayor would make Carmel more BIKE friendly it'd be the perfect city.
Carmel is still a car-centric area. The bike lanes are not offset by a median or a curb, and butt up right against the edge of the lane. Driving by one of these bicyclists going down Rangeline in the morning can be harrowing. I wouldn't feel safe using those lanes as a bicyclist nor do I feel comfortable with the bicyclists using them as a motorist. If anything, those lanes need to be offset from the road by a curb, or outright prohibited. They are dangerous to cyclists and a liability to motorists as they currently are.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 03-03-2015 at 07:38 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I am not sure why there is this outright hostility toward the suburbs from the "urban" crowd. If you want a dense, walkable, bike friendly, super urban vibe, you probably wouldn't be in Indy in the first place. This isn't Philly, Chicago, NYC, or Boston.

I went down College Avenue to Broad Ripple from Carmel Saturday. Most of that area really doesn't feel urban at all - it is still car-centric suburban development, although older and perhaps "classier" depending on one's taste than the newer suburbs.
Indianapolis has consistently been rated as an increasingly bike friendly city of late and trending upward in that regard. I think it would be pretty exciting to have a more bike friendly metro area, Carmel included.

As far as hostility toward Carmel related to how urban or not urban Indianapolis is, really is of no consequence. Indianapolis is never going to be Philly, Chicago, NYC, or Boston. And that is ok. Indianapolis can only be the best Indianapolis it can be. If you need the differences explained to you between Indy and Carmel beyond cosmetics; then you just don't know one or both of them well enough.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:46 AM

I don't think Carmel is trying to become urban.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:25 AM

42 posts, read 68,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I don't think Carmel is trying to become urban.
Did you read the article? How else to explain $800+ million in public debt? The aspiration is to be more than a traditional elite US suburban enclave. To be a magnet unto itself with its own urban styled amenities. Renn sees this as a sign of the times in terms of how class and residential segregation work these days in some of the country's more ambitious and famous suburbs. Love it or hate it, the trend is a sign of the times well worth contemplating. The article is quite good and extremely generous to carmel and it's new sub-urbanism visionary lleaders.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgewater View Post
Did you read the article? How else to explain $800+ million in public debt? The aspiration is to be more than a traditional elite US suburban enclave. To be a magnet unto itself with its own urban styled amenities. Renn sees this as a sign of the times in terms of how class and residential segregation work these days in some of the country's more ambitious and famous suburbs. Love it or hate it, the trend is a sign of the times well worth contemplating. The article is quite good and extremely generous to carmel and it's new sub-urbanism visionary lleaders.
In fact, I did read the article, and I stand by my statement. Bringing a dense element to Carmel does not mean it is trying to become urban in the way the urbanists here seem to want to define the term. Carmel will still have a lot of suburban developments. What Carmel is trying to do, seems to me, is to have a diversity of offerings that will allow it to attract a healthy mix of professionals, singles and families -- something sustainable for the long term. It is NOT trying to become socio-economically diverse.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 AM

42 posts, read 68,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
In fact, I did read the article, and I stand by my statement. Bringing a dense element to Carmel does not mean it is trying to become urban in the way the urbanists here seem to want to define the term. Carmel will still have a lot of suburban developments. What Carmel is trying to do, seems to me, is to have a diversity of offerings that will allow it to attract a healthy mix of professionals, singles and families. It is NOT trying to become socio-economically diverse.
Ahh, then we are in agreement. The aspiration is to graft certain urban elements (amenities, density) while holding back other urban elements (the people; socioeconomic diversity).

Old 03-03-2015, 11:14 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgewater View Post
Ahh, then we are in agreement. The aspiration is to graft certain urban elements (amenities, density) while holding back other urban elements (the people; socioeconomic diversity).
That's Carmel in a nutshell. All the benefits of the urban area they fled, without all those pesky poor people getting in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis