Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 AM

2 posts, read 13,330 times

Advertisements

People that say there is not much to do...well they just don't get out, and have limited imaginations. I agree with many others...Childrens Museum is a must. Along with the other museums, including the NCAA Hall of Fame. A tour of Lucas Oil Stadium is less than 10 dollars a person and is worth it just to step in the locker room. Rent a paddle boat and go down the Canal. Spend a Saturday at the City Market. Go take a lap around the track in your car (not fast) but still neat to see how high those banks really are. Check out the Fashion Mall at Keystone and the Clay Terrace Mall at Carmel. Get the best burger of your life at Bubs in Carmel. Spend a day in the Art district of Broad Ripple. While you are there make sure to feed the ducks. Get some great Pizza at Basbeaux on Mass Ave. Get some of the best donuts ever at Long's on Tremont. Get Lunch at The Workingmans Friend on Belmont. Authentic Cajun can be found at Yat's on College Ave, and its dirt cheap. Go Ice Skating at the Pan Am Plaza (basement) on an Olympic size rink. Catch an Indians game at Victory Field. Spend a night at the top of Circle Center, Gemeworks then drinks, or the other way around. Have dinner at Beef N Boards Dinner Theatre. Go see the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra at Hilbert Circle Theatre. See the Butterflies at White River Gardens and Dolphins at the Zoo. See a show in Clowes Memorial Hall at Butler. Check out the shops on Mass Ave. Go to a show at Crackers Comedy Club. There is plenty to do in Indianapolis, you just have to explore and have a little imagination. If you will be in Indiana for a whole month I suggest you take one weekend and head south to Holiday World and Splashin Safari, its about 3.5 hours south of downtown in a small town of Santa Claus. Its the smallest park to ever win The Applause Award (the most coveted award among amusement parks) they have the second best waterpark and single best wooden roller coaster on the planet. They also offer free parking and free soft drinks. Enjoy Indy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
If anyone is interested, this month's Indianapolis Monthly is all about downtown Indy ... must do's, opinions from tourists ...

Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,725 times
Quote:
What is a must do in Indy?
To depart the town entirely?
I lived there for a while. To be honest I would describe that town as lame.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
To depart the town entirely?
I lived there for a while. To be honest I would describe that town as lame.
Oh come on!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Oh come on!
We're probably better off without that troll anyway.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
We're probably better off without that troll anyway.
I agree ... you know I'm the first one to whine, but hey, you make the best with what 'choo got.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I wouldn't say it's limited. It's not knock your socks off with different things to do than other cities of it's size. Indy doesn't have a whole lot of "only in Indy things" ... car races a couple times a year, I like the soldiers and sailors monument. The Children's Museum is a one of a kind too. It's a nice town, heavy on the nice.

I have to agree here. I think people that live in places like Indianapolis and complain take things for granted. There are major metro areas that dont have a fraction of the things Indianapolis has to do, and are similiar in size. One big fat for instance is my home region of Hampton Roads, VA. Almost the same population, not a single major league sports team. You have two, including the NFL, and Nascar, and you have all the Chicago and Cincy teams closer then our nearest major team as well.

You have nationally recognized museums, city parks, and a damn decent zoo. You have large stadiums which can attract major events. How many major concert tours bypass Indianapolis? About 75% bypass Hampton Roads.

You have dozens of live music venues and restaurants. Here in Hampton Roads, you have to dig for them.

You have a nationally recognized college in Purdue. How would you like your crowning jewel to be Old Dominion University, which is pretty much exclusively known for womans basketball?

For anyone who has a complaint about "things to do" in Indianapolis, I will gladly switch you for Hampton Roads no questions asked. You can experience a place that is ACTUALLY devoid of things to do.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Depends where you're coming from. If you're coming from a big city, Indy closes in on you fast.

Your first three months may be fine. After that, you're in for a long haul of monotony.

Big city as defined as what? Indianapolis is the 12th largest in the country. You dont get a whole lot bigger then that.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Big city as defined as what? Indianapolis is the 12th largest in the country. You dont get a whole lot bigger then that.
It's misleading to say Indianapolis is the 12th largest city. It's true that it has the 14th largest population of any city, as measured by the city limits. But it is not in the top 30 in terms of its metro-area population: Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For example, Boston has only 600,000 within its city limits, but another 3.9 million in the metro area, making it more than twice the size of the Indy metro area. DC has less than 600,000 in the city, but another 4.7 million in the metro. This doesn't change the fact that there are things to do in Indianapolis.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
It's misleading to say Indianapolis is the 12th largest city. It's true that it has the 14th largest population of any city, as measured by the city limits. But it is not in the top 30 in terms of its metro-area population: Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For example, Boston has only 600,000 within its city limits, but another 3.9 million in the metro area, making it more than twice the size of the Indy metro area. DC has less than 600,000 in the city, but another 4.7 million in the metro. This doesn't change the fact that there are things to do in Indianapolis.

Metro areas and cities arent the same thing though. Suburban sprawl rarely contributes more then population to a metro area. In fact, some "metro areas" even cross over states (Philadelphia, New York City, Washington DC), which sever their economic links.

If you live in NYC, and say "NYC is a big city", noone would ever think you are also including White Plains, NY and New Haven, CT in that assessment. When one talks of Philadelphia, that normally doesnt mean Camden, NJ. THe poster I replied to specifically said "big city".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis