U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:45 PM

52 posts, read 205,779 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have bought a home and will be moving to Indy around the end of April. I have saved up so that I can take a good month or so off before needing to find a job and I wondered what I should do with the time? What do you think is a must see or something that will better acquaint me with the city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:29 PM

7 posts, read 26,493 times
Honestly? Take that month and vacation outside of indy.

If I had to stay in indy for a month...

1. Connor prarie is awesome. I am pretty sure its the largest pioneer village in the US.
2. The childrens science museum of indy is the WORLDS largest. Its a must see for the oldest child. I'm 28 and I love it. The kids love it too, but its somewhere I'd go without the kids for some of the exibits.
3. The slippery noodle is a blues bar experience and a must do.
4.... leave town.

Indianapolis, although large, is limited on things to do. The economy is great for my profession, so I stay. But, activitywise, theres nothing spectacular about it.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:41 AM

17,696 posts, read 37,971,198 times
I wouldn't say it's limited. It's not knock your socks off with different things to do than other cities of it's size. Indy doesn't have a whole lot of "only in Indy things" ... car races a couple times a year, I like the soldiers and sailors monument. The Children's Museum is a one of a kind too. It's a nice town, heavy on the nice.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM

87 posts, read 307,172 times
I would kind of agree with the "limited" comment, but what there is to do is primarily centered around downtown and you can probably take in the lion's share of it in one afternoon. Aside from the monuments/memorials, there is the canal and the Eiteljorg Museum. Also the NCAA Hall of Champions if college sports is your bag. If shopping is more your thing there is a prominent mall downtown. I don't know why, but that mall seems to draw a lot of tourist traffic. It's decent enough but there's nothing unusual about it, except for the fact that it's a full blown mall in a downtown area, which I guess in and of itself is pretty rare. I agree with the Slippery Noodle suggestion but only if you're into the nightlife. Every time I've been during the day it's been pretty dead and you might as well be nursing a beer at any of a number of different establishments. If you're downtown for lunch you might try grabbing a bite at the City Market, but aside from the ambiance it's essentially just a giant mall-style food court with a few shops thrown in here and there (ie. if you're already at the mall I don't know that it's worth a separate trip... the mall has a number of similar alternatives).

Old 01-14-2008, 11:38 AM

83 posts, read 383,273 times
I know you asked about Indy, but if you don't find anything/do everything in Indy, check out Bloomington and West Lafayette. A walk around IU's campus and downtown Bloomington is a lot more scenic than Purdue and West Lafayette/Lafayette, but both are worth checking out. West Lafayette/Purdue will take up maybe a half a day, Bloomington/IU probably a day, and maybe a day in a half if you take a trip down to Lake Monroe (2nd best body of water in Indiana after Michigan, IMO).

Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 PM

260 posts, read 1,299,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyofafew View Post

1. Connor prarie is awesome. I am pretty sure its the largest pioneer village in the US.
Im pretty sure Colonial Williamsburg in VA is much larger than Connor Prarie...but still quite large and worth checking out, if your into that sort of thing (History)

Among those already mentioned, the Indy 500 (IMS) has a nice museum if your into auto racing.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 AM

563 posts, read 3,618,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattygirl27 View Post
My husband and I have bought a home and will be moving to Indy around the end of April. I have saved up so that I can take a good month or so off before needing to find a job and I wondered what I should do with the time? What do you think is a must see or something that will better acquaint me with the city?
Any kids? if so, the Children's museum, Connor Prairie, Eiteljorg, and a nice walk around the downtown area.

If no kids : Check out Broad Ripple, Clay terrace mall up in Carmel (its actually called a lifestyle mall and they ocassionally have street concerts and activities) Find a nice walking tour online and take a walk around downtown.

And, if you only have a month, the rest of the time will be taken up by unpacking and finding out what's wrong with the new house

Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM

436 posts, read 889,925 times
Depends where you're coming from. If you're coming from a big city, Indy closes in on you fast.

Your first three months may be fine. After that, you're in for a long haul of monotony.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:10 PM

1,208 posts, read 3,544,966 times
Check out this older thread on this same website: big cat refuge

Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 PM

11 posts, read 36,597 times
When people move to a new town, it's typical that they are limited to their idiosyncrasies (their peculiar habits). So if your not an extremely out going personality, your not going to be extremely out going any where. Most people just want a little entertainment, good stores to shop at, good food to eat and a peaceful environment in which to do it. So if Indy is peaceful and quiet ... most people would like it ... those who are more adventurous can seek out the more exciting parts of Indy. Finding a place where you feel comfortable: PRICELESS.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Indiana.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis