Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,689 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Indy in the next six months and I'm trying to get an idea of the best areas to live. We are a bi-racial couple in our mid 20's with an infant. What are the best areas for minority or bi-racial families? We are looking to buy but won't be able to afford a $200,000 + house. Commute to downtown will need to be 40 min or less in traffic.
We're open to both city and suburban living depending on cost and neighborhood personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:45 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
I live on the west side, in Avon, and I really like it. The schools are great, the neighbors are friendly, there is plenty of whatever I need, and it is not a long commute downtown. I would be happy to show you around, the link to my website is in my profile, and from there you can search for houses.

<dm this please>

Last edited by domergurl; 01-13-2008 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 07:11 PM

47 posts, read 163,287 times
Default Cardinals fan??

hi cardsfan - I hope your handle indicates that you're a St. Louis Cardinals fan. I am!

<dm this information please>

Last edited by domergurl; 01-13-2008 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-15-2008, 10:38 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Hi there,
First of all, congratulations on the upcoming move. Indy and the burbs around it are a great place to live. We are a Bi racial couple and lived in Indy around 86th and Ditch when we were in Grad School and then moved up to Carmel (146th st) once we decided to start a family. One thing you will find is a bunch of misconceived notions about the burbs. Carmel is a wonderful place to live in. We have found many friends of both races. Racial diversity in Carmel has been rising steadily and the the population tends to be well educated middle to upper middle class. yes there are filthy rich people there too but its a nice mix. The public schools are excellent and we have never felt awkward for being a mixed race family. There's plenty to do for the kids and you're still a short drive to the downtown area with its best-in-the-country Children's museum!
Personally speaking I did not find zionsville or the Fishers area to be racially diverse but thats just an opinion since we did not live there.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan08 View Post
We are moving to Indy in the next six months and I'm trying to get an idea of the best areas to live. We are a bi-racial couple in our mid 20's with an infant. What are the best areas for minority or bi-racial families? We are looking to buy but won't be able to afford a $200,000 + house. Commute to downtown will need to be 40 min or less in traffic.
We're open to both city and suburban living depending on cost and neighborhood personality.
One more point - people will tell you that Carmel will be out of your price range - not true. We bought our home there 8 years ago for under 150K. Yes some of the houses in that range are older but there are plenty of newer homes there too. To get downtown you can take the direct shot down on US31 or loop around on 465. My hubby has found that if he leaves at around 7 or 7:30 the commute is smooth as can be.
If you are interested in purchasing a condo or townhome there is a lot of construction taking place or planned to take place around the downtown Carmel area. Builders are hurting right now and you may be able to get into a nice condo/townhouse in your range.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
aru

2 posts, read 6,084 times
Default good choices

hi
indianapolis is growing very fast lots of indian people u can find around u if u r looking for house then south side of indy is growing fast schools are very good yes i also have infant so south pediatric is really nice and close by .... south side like greenwood , southport are good for family life .... close to downtown .... safe too... all shopping near .....
check with real estate agent they will guide you
all the best welcome to indy

Old 01-19-2008, 10:42 AM

12 posts, read 27,716 times
In your price range, finding a neighborhood that is tolerant of bi-racial couples will be a challenge. I've lived here all my life. Indianapolis is one of the most backward, ignorant places you could possibly choose to live. Neighborhoods like Bulter-Tarkington, Meridian Kessler and Broad Ripple are one of the few enclaves that aren't populated by ignorant red necks, but unfortunately, the prices of the homes are considerably higher (300K to 800K) what you can afford.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,636 times
Wow, where have you lived? I've been here all my life as well, and I couldn't agree LESS.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 9,599 times
Have lived here all of my life too and I am currently single, but was in a biracial relationship for a long time and NEVER had any problems. I have lived in a small town forever then finally moved to Indy. Don't listen to Saab...sometimes our own attitudes affect our lives, but we want to blame it on others. I do not see the racial card being thrown around here myself. In order to suggest a specific place, tell us more about what it is you are looking for in a home/neighborhood.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 PM

83 posts, read 397,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabGuy328 View Post
In your price range, finding a neighborhood that is tolerant of bi-racial couples will be a challenge. I've lived here all my life. Indianapolis is one of the most backward, ignorant places you could possibly choose to live. Neighborhoods like Bulter-Tarkington, Meridian Kessler and Broad Ripple are one of the few enclaves that aren't populated by ignorant red necks, but unfortunately, the prices of the homes are considerably higher (300K to 800K) what you can afford.

I DEFY you to show me a large portion of houses in Broad Ripple that are 300k to 800k.

To the OP, you'll be fine in most of Indy. I will say, the south side of town might not be as tolerant of a bi-racial couple, along with the south burbs (New Palestine, Avon, Plainfield). You MIGHT be ok in Greenwood. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis