U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 AM
 
3,351 posts, read 3,274,022 times
Reputation: 1622

Advertisements

Price of rent range is important if you want advice from us on c-d
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2015, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,804 posts, read 16,276,662 times
Reputation: 6974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Pike and Washington Township would meet your needs. The north/northwest sides of Indianapolis, but still in Marion county. Eastside has too much crime.
Much of the east side is as safe as anywhere else in the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 10:36 AM
 
Location: 78745
4,255 posts, read 3,904,587 times
Reputation: 7545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Much of the east side is as safe as anywhere else in the city.
Seems like there's alot of shootings on the Eastside.

Please be specific on eastsde areas that are as safe as anywhere else in the city; otherwise its a crap shoot and not very helpful to anybody looking for a safe place to live.. The Eastside is a large area that covers several square miles and stretches from east of Meridian Street out to eastern city limits and from the far northside to the far southside, basiclly half the town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,804 posts, read 16,276,662 times
Reputation: 6974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Seems like there's alot of shootings on the Eastside.

Please be specific on eastsde areas that are as safe as anywhere else in the city; otherwise its a crap shoot and not very helpful to anybody looking for a safe place to live.. The Eastside is a large area that covers several square miles and stretches from east of Meridian Street out to eastern city limits and from the far northside to the far southside, basiclly half the town.
I was as general as the comment I was responding to.

As far as specifics, anything south of 21st Street in the 46219 and 46229 zip codes I would consider safe. 46239 is safe. 46201 is an urban area that has safe areas within its borders. I live in 46201. I've never been shot. Some of the apartment complexes are sketchy on the eastside, but the same can be said of all sides of the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Retired
890 posts, read 780,747 times
Reputation: 1259
There are safe areas on the eastside; but for someone new to the area, who as a mixed family would feel comfortable, I would suggest Marion county north of 56th street. Central or west, still better than east. I would also suggest south of Washington as a border, not south of 21st, for someone who has not lived here before. Would also suggest avoiding Lafayette Square mall (westside) and Washington Square Mall (eastside).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,804 posts, read 16,276,662 times
Reputation: 6974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
There are safe areas on the eastside; but for someone new to the area, who as a mixed family would feel comfortable, I would suggest Marion county north of 56th street. Central or west, still better than east. I would also suggest south of Washington as a border, not south of 21st, for someone who has not lived here before. Would also suggest avoiding Lafayette Square mall (westside) and Washington Square Mall (eastside).
Based on what? Have you ever been within a mile of Washington Square Mall?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Retired
890 posts, read 780,747 times
Reputation: 1259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Based on what? Have you ever been within a mile of Washington Square Mall?
When I worked for Naval Avionics in the 70s, I lived at 38th & Mithoeffer, 21st & Post, and right next to Washington Square. The northside is nicer than the eastside. Eastside has been on a thirty year decline, it is not what it used to be, when it was my favorite side of town.
If we disagree, so be it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,804 posts, read 16,276,662 times
Reputation: 6974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
When I worked for Naval Avionics in the 70s, I lived at 38th & Mithoeffer, 21st & Post, and right next to Washington Square. The northside is nicer than the eastside. Eastside has been on a thirty year decline, it is not what it used to be, when it was my favorite side of town.
If we disagree, so be it.
The 70s?? That was 40 years ago!

Washington Square is not what it once was, but dangerous it is not. You are no more likely to be attacked there than anywhere else in the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Retired
890 posts, read 780,747 times
Reputation: 1259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The 70s?? That was 40 years ago!
It seems like yesterday.
If I were going to recommend a part of the city based on shopping, pick the northside or Greenwood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2015, 06:05 AM
 
698 posts, read 208,329 times
Reputation: 267
I have lived in Greenwood for many many years. Love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
It seems like yesterday.
If I were going to recommend a part of the city based on shopping, pick the northside or Greenwood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:28 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top