Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,697 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family will be moving from Ireland to Indiana in September. My husband will be working for Eli Lilly in Indianapolis and I'll be staying at home and minding our two boys who will be just turning one and three at the time. We have actually lived in Indy before, from 2011-2013 but we lived downtown and left to live back in Ireland when our son was 9 months old. We never looked into schools or other places to live at the time as we knew we wouldn't be living in Indy past our son's first year.
I've read that a child needs to be 5 before the 1st of August before they start school. My first son turns 5 at the end of August, this would make him almost 6 starting school which seems a bit crazy to me. In Ireland school can start from 4 onwards, but 5 is preferred. I'm thinking he'll be bored silly by that stage. Do you send them to a pre-school the year before? or what about the year before that? Again pre-school can start with kids at three years here so I'm feeling a bit unsure. He'll need something for a few hours a week next year.
So this time when we move, it will be more permanent and obviously our needs as a family will have changed with regard to where we would like to live. We are looking to the suburbs and have heard good things about Greenwood schools, Zionsville and Carmel. I've read the Fishers commute would be too long and the traffic bad. The commute to work for my husband is important as he isn't used to much traffic or a long commute in the last two years but there are other considerations.
We want to rent for the first two years before we make any decisions to buy but I'm just unsure as to what would be right for our family. I'd like to live somewhere with decent amenities and want to get my oldest son involved in some classes/make some friends. That would help with me getting to know some other moms too.
Our budget would be up to 2000 dollars per month for rent, we could afford more but will want to save a bit over the next two years so would prefer to keep it under 2,000 per month. Regarding size, anything over 1500 sq. ft seems big to me and 4 bedrooms would be preferable as we will have family visiting from time to time.
We will be coming out on a house hunting week at the start of August and will be assigned an agent to help us. From some e-mail communication my husband has already had with him, he said Zionsville and Carmel were great but didn't mention Greenwood at all after we had mentioned it. I'm wondering about this. We have never been to Zionsville but it doesn't look like there is much to rent there from looking online. We were in Carmel twice, once for a house party and once in the centre for a vintage car show. I was heavily pregnant and it was August but i remember thinking it seemed very affluent and relaxed. I was in Greenwood Mall a good few times but really don't know much beyond that.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. I've heard mention of Meridian Kessler and Butler Tarkington in Indianapolis but have no idea how the schools work with lotteries for the recommended ones, it seems a bit scary to me, what if they don't get in, where are you left then?
Thanks in Advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 AM

890 posts, read 883,065 times
Greenwood is very nice. The Center Grove school district is partially in Greenwood, the schools are excellent. There are many private preschools available, often operated by churches. Southport is a nice community in Marion County with a short drive to Lilly. Zionsville and Carmel are very nice.
Actually, with very low interest rates, and you only need 3% down for an FHA loan, now is a good time to buy a house, once you know where you want to live.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Budget won't be an issue no matter how you look at it.
2000 a month can almost get you a mansion here or a really big nice apartment downtown.
Indy doesn't have the outrageous prices of New York so no need to worry with that kind of budget.
One of my co-workers just moved out of a 900 sq ft downtown apartment that ran $2000/mo.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:24 PM

17 posts, read 32,734 times
Other areas to consider are west of Indy, such as Avon or Plainfield. Avon has had some recent crowding issues, but the schools are still rated well. If your husband prefers highway driving Plainfield is right off I-70 (runs very close to Eli Lilly) and the schools are top-notch. It has more of a "town" feeling.

Brownsburg is southwest of Zionsville and also a great choice.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:45 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I had friends of friends from the UK who worked for Lilly and they lived in Meridian Kessler and sent their children to St. Richards school.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Eli Lilly retiree family here.

Carmel is no problem at all. You will find excellent schools, loads of recreational amenities, safety and loads of other corporate employee families. We have many Lilly friends all over Carmel. Loads of international transfers also so there will be no issue with acceptance. If you live around Meridian/US31 it is a straight drive south or if you are farther west around Michigan, there is I65 south. Really you only need to stay away from I69 and down 465 from Fishers (personal opinion here). I had many employees with loads of issues during accidents and bad weather.

Meridian Kessler/Butler Tarkington are also nice with perhaps fewer close recreational amenties but they are there. Husband would have a shorter and easier commute. We lived in Butler Tarkington for years and loved it. Sidewalks, the canal walking path, local stores/restaurants, nice. You would need to research schools and someone else can assist with this topic. Likely you would be renting a house or maybe a double. Only a few apartments there.

I live downtown and love it now but wonder with the little ones if the above areas would not be much better for you at your stage. However, there are some new areas and much renovation done downtown now for families. Fall Creek Place just north is full of newly built housing. Private or church schools are usually part of downtown living.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:30 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Put your request for info under the Indianapolis forum for more comment. Under Indiana it can miss some of the posters.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 PM

271 posts, read 458,768 times
Greenwood is South of Indy, Avon West, Plainfield Southwest, Fishers and Carmel up North, Zionsville Northwest.

All of them are good areas and relatively have the same commute times to Downtown Indy, except for Avon maybe it would be the shortest.

Since all of them offer almost the same amenities, except for Fishers and Carmel area you'll find better shopping options there .. Best thing is to tour these areas and see which one you like the most. Welcome back

Old 04-29-2015, 11:34 AM

108 posts, read 166,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ceallaigh4 View Post
Hi,

I've read that a child needs to be 5 before the 1st of August before they start school. My first son turns 5 at the end of August, this would make him almost 6 starting school which seems a bit crazy to me. In Ireland school can start from 4 onwards, but 5 is preferred. I'm thinking he'll be bored silly by that stage. Do you send them to a pre-school the year before? or what about the year before that? Again pre-school can start with kids at three years here so I'm feeling a bit unsure. He'll need something for a few hours a week next year.
I think this varies by school district. I believe the cutoff for Hamilton SE is September 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ceallaigh4 View Post
I've read the Fishers commute would be too long and the traffic bad. The commute to work for my husband is important as he isn't used to much traffic or a long commute in the last two years but there are other considerations.
This depends. Sure, I-69 can be a pain but if you live further South and East, it is quite easy to get on I-70 at 600W.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
Thank you for all the advice and information. My two little ones have been sick so I hadn't looked at the replies for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis