Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:21 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,320 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Chinese all-you-can-eat on 86th & Michigan ? It's been closed for over a decade, I believe.

I think it was called Forbidden City or something like that.

That was my favorite, by far ! They even had crab legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 03:52 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
There are two really good Ponderosa Steakhouses in the metro area: One on the south side at E. Thompson Rd. and S. Emerson Ave.. The other one is in Greenfield, Indiana off of St. Rd. 9 between I-70 and US 40. Both of these were, at least at one time, owned by the same owners. There was one in Mooresville, but it closed within the last year or so. My family has went to these Ponderosa restaurants many times and the food is always good. I'm not a big eater and I'm pretty picky, but they still offer enough for me and my wife (also a picky eater). The map shows there is also one in Anderson. Also, if one isn't into the buffet, they have great burgers and grilled chicken mean options (usually comes with french fries but I think they have different sides to choose from).

I've also tried Golden Corral a few times on the east side off of Washington St. near Washington Sq. Mall. I've never had a bad meal there, but I know they can get busy at times. My family just normally opts for Ponderosa over Golden Corral. The Blue Bird in Morristown has had a fried chicken buffet in the past. Also, keep driving further east on US 52 just past Metamora and you find the Hearthstone Restaurant. I believe they have a lunch buffet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
There use to be a place in Hagerstown where it was all you can eat for a certain price. It use to be one of the best places to eat home cooked food in East Central Indiana. I believe its still there, but don' t quote me on that.
I tried to look it up and the only thing I found was a place called Willie and Red's. Their actual website is down at this time, but it looks like their Facebook page is still active with recent activity this month. Was this the place you were thinking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Wellivers in Hagerstown shut down 5-10 years ago. We used to go there for birthdays and family celebrations.
Upon further reading, it appears that Wellivers is now Willie and Red's. One on-line comment said that Wellivers had a fire and new owners purchased the building and re-opened it.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:32 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
I used to think Golden Corral was okay 20 years ago, before it became all buffet but it is all relative. I have never thought Ponderosa or it's predecessor Bonanza were good. I also never thought Sizzler was good.

If it want to spend 10-12 bucks I will get a good sandwich. If I want a good meal, buffet included, I expect to pay at least 20 bucks, if not 50 or more for a good steak. Good breakfast buffets in Chicago range from 20-40 dollars, sometimes more on special occasions.

Old Country Buffet also sucks but I don't think anyone on here is debating that. Ryans is only slightly better.

I am going to have make a trip to Hagerstown to visit the new smorgasbord next time I am in southern Indiana.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:53 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Welliver's in Hagerstown used to be an excellent smorgasbord. They served quality, home-style food and had wonderful family recipes. Their customers made the trip from Indy and Dayton and they were written up in travel magazines. It was well worth the trip.

Unfortunately after Guy Welliver died the family got into trouble with taxes. They were shut down for non-payment. They were actually deducting taxes from employee's checks but using it for operating expenses. They reopened briefly but then closed again, then new owners opened as Willie & Red's. Then W & R's had a fire and closed, then reopened. I haven't been there since the new owners took over so I don't know if they are using the Welliver family recipes.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:33 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Teppanyaki Grill at Washington and Mithoeffer and The Journey off East 96th St are the only two buffets I eat by choice.

Oh; and the lunch buffet at India Garden downtown is pretty good too. India Palace by Lafayette Square too.
If you like the Teppanyaki Grill try the Hibachi Grill at 7700 S. Shelby Street (intersection of Shelby Street and US31)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis