Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:31 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

It's not terrible but would only appeal to people wanting to be close to downtown for an affordable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 AM

11 posts, read 15,838 times
I live very close to the neighborhood and walk my dog in it almost every day. There are definitely some abandoned houses; a young lady who was illegally staying in one was murdered very near that intersection last fall. There are also some out of state slumlords who don't take care of their rental property and run it into the ground for cheap rent until it is no longer habitable.

That said, there's also a lot of energy and life in this neighborhood. Historic Watson Park runs to the west and northeast of this intersection. There are a lot of very nice houses along Guilford to the east. I don't walk my dog at midnight or anything, but I have never felt threatened walking into the later evening hours - 9 o'clock or so. It's just not as bad as some gray-haired suburbanites make it out to be.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:45 AM

49 posts, read 93,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's not terrible but would only appeal to people wanting to be close to downtown for an affordable price.
Thanks Emigrations. Appreciate it

Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDelaware View Post
I live very close to the neighborhood and walk my dog in it almost every day. There are definitely some abandoned houses; a young lady who was illegally staying in one was murdered very near that intersection last fall. There are also some out of state slumlords who don't take care of their rental property and run it into the ground for cheap rent until it is no longer habitable.

That said, there's also a lot of energy and life in this neighborhood. Historic Watson Park runs to the west and northeast of this intersection. There are a lot of very nice houses along Guilford to the east. I don't walk my dog at midnight or anything, but I have never felt threatened walking into the later evening hours - 9 o'clock or so. It's just not as bad as some gray-haired suburbanites make it out to be.
Thanks NorthDelaware. Appreciate your feedback. That helps.

I used Google street view and checked out the area last night and it wasn't that bad at all...at least from what I saw which was during daytime so your comment definitely helps a lot.

How far is downtown from this location? Is downtown Indy the place where most of the jobs are or they're kind of spreaded across a larger area with downtown at the center.

I won't be one of those slumlords btw whether in Indy or any place that I would buy at. I have rented in the past and I know how painful it is when landlords don't co-operate and don't give a sh** and I would not want to be one of those kind

Old 06-18-2015, 11:19 AM

890 posts, read 883,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatanka View Post
It sounds like I am hearing contradictory opinions about how the neighborhood is.

hmm...who should I believe now
Toxic Toast knows the city as well as anyone.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 15,838 times
It's about 4 miles from downtown and also 4 miles from Broadripple which is one of the cultural and nightlife hubs here in Indy. That's one of the things that makes this area appealing especially to some of the younger families moving in. You should keep in mind that with the right improvements and care to a home, a landlord could rent and get a little more out of a house for a longer period of time than slumlords command. As far as jobs go, it depends on the job. There are a lot of jobs centered in downtown, but there are also a lot of jobs around the outer circle of Indianapolis. One of the tings I find most appealing about our neighborhood is that it's almost in the center of the city with reasonable access to both I70 and I65, making it close to everything.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDelaware View Post
It's about 4 miles from downtown and also 4 miles from Broadripple which is one of the cultural and nightlife hubs here in Indy. That's one of the things that makes this area appealing especially to some of the younger families moving in. You should keep in mind that with the right improvements and care to a home, a landlord could rent and get a little more out of a house for a longer period of time than slumlords command. As far as jobs go, it depends on the job. There are a lot of jobs centered in downtown, but there are also a lot of jobs around the outer circle of Indianapolis. One of the tings I find most appealing about our neighborhood is that it's almost in the center of the city with reasonable access to both I70 and I65, making it close to everything.
I totally agree with what you're saying. I didn't know it was only 4 miles from downtown. that's really good to know. I thought it was more like 15 miles north of downtown.

Thank you for your feedback and information regarding jobs.

As for the jobs, are these mainly white collar, blue collar or a mix of both?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 AM

505 posts, read 940,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatanka View Post
I didn't know it was only 4 miles from downtown. that's really good to know. I thought it was more like 15 miles north of downtown.
You were looking at it on Google maps, and you couldn't tell it was only 4 miles? It's actually only about 3.7 miles from the very center of downtown (Soldiers and Sailors Monument), meaning it is even closer to the edge of downtown. So, very close, actually.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
You were looking at it on Google maps, and you couldn't tell it was only 4 miles? It's actually only about 3.7 miles from the very center of downtown (Soldiers and Sailors Monument), meaning it is even closer to the edge of downtown. So, very close, actually.
Well I didn't actually map the driving directions from that location to downtown but I was just using the little yellow figure on google street view to check out the area.

I should have looked at the driving directions to a central location in downtown...

Anyway thanks for that info

Old 06-19-2015, 05:41 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
I believe there was just another shooting/murder at 30th and College last night. It is not an area that I or a young professional would consider. Lived in Indy for over 35 years. The remodeling is moving south of 38th along College but it is spotty.

Man shot multiple times in legs on northside | WISH-TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis