Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 10:17 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,822,434 times

Advertisements

Muncie IN is where I should be looking it sounds like. Any other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 AM

34,821 posts, read 30,892,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
What are you wanting to do with the property?

Muncie is a declining town that was dependent on the auto industry. When those jobs were eliminated, the town started losing ground and it hasn't gotten back yet. Ball State University is somewhat holding the town together, but there isn't much there. It's too far from Indy to be a reasonable commute IMO.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:52 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,822,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
What are you wanting to do with the property?

Muncie is a declining town that was dependent on the auto industry. When those jobs were eliminated, the town started losing ground and it hasn't gotten back yet. Ball State University is somewhat holding the town together, but there isn't much there. It's too far from Indy to be a reasonable commute IMO.
Retire. Looks like if I just go up to 90K the houses are damn near new, and the quality of the neighborhoods increases drastically to the point that they look like normal/nice neighborhoods. In the 110-120K range even more so. Not all seems to be lost with IN!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:54 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,171,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Actually not being a hot market on the scale of Seattle is a good thing.
10 years ago we had places like Phoenix, San Francisco, Atlanta, Florida that were on fire hot. Housing prices kept going up, up, up, up, and then crash with the recession of 2008-09.
Sometimes not being in a boom/bust market is a good thing as people that bought right before the crash were royally screwed. Homeowners here didn't suffer as much.
How old were you in 2009, 14 years old? Yeah, you are the person who we should be listening to about housing markets.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:56 PM

918 posts, read 1,688,847 times
Quote:
Retire. Looks like if I just go up to 90K the houses are damn near new, and the quality of the neighborhoods increases drastically to the point that they look like normal/nice neighborhoods. In the 110-120K range even more so. Not all seems to be lost with IN!
I'd check out Noblesville

Old 06-21-2015, 02:51 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,537,360 times
Quote:
You can find a real nice house in Muncie north of McGalliard Road and west of Wheeling Avenue in your price range. That area is one of the nicest areas of Muncie. Upper middle and mid middle class residents. The small towns of Yorktown and Daleville between Muncie and Anderson are nice areas with very reasonably priced houses. Those towns are closer to Indianapolis than Muncie by 5 to 10 miles and are also more convenient to I-69.

Muncie has had a hard time the past few decades but there is still lots of nice prosperous areas of town. Muncie and Delaware County you get a better bang for your buck than Indy. Most anything in Indy can be found in Muncie. And if Muncie doesn't have it, you can be in Indy in less than an hour.

Don't let the anti-Muncie crowd talk you out of considering Muncie as a place to retire .

Old 06-21-2015, 02:51 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,959,667 times
Quote:

How many bedroom and baths are you looking for in that price range? This will make all the difference in the world in quality to determine the price and community the home is actually located in. The amenities in the community surrounding the home is also another factor in the home's price.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:12 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,810,082 times
You might also want to look into Lafayette/West Lafayette in NW area, it's close to Chicago if you need a big city fix. Home of Purdue University, it is suppose to be an area that has attracted retirees.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:23 PM

34,821 posts, read 30,892,534 times
I don't know why anyone would consider Muncie for retirement. There are umpteen smaller towns within that distance around Indy that aren't rundown and are better off overall. Muncie is fairly remote, old and rundown.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:54 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,537,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't know why anyone would consider Muncie for retirement. There are umpteen smaller towns within that distance around Indy that aren't rundown and are better off overall. Muncie is fairly remote, old and rundown.
Despite popular opinion, the entire town of Muncie is not old or rundown, and it's not all that remote. The NW side is not old. Ball State provides lots of entertainment, along with the many festivals that Muncie has thru out the year. I'd put Muncie up against its arch rival Indy satellite towns of Anderson, Kokomo, Marion, Richmond, New Castle, and Muncie is by far the nicest and most progressive. The small towns of Yorktown and Daleville, for the price, they can compete with any other small town or suburb.

Why wouldn't a retiree want to move to Muncie, especially if they are on a fixed income? Some of you folks make Muncie seem like a total dump. Have any of y'all ever spent any amount of time in Muncie? Muncie doesn't get the respect it deserves. Ask David Letterman. He is a big fan of Muncie. Muncie is really just a small version of Indianapolis, and I don't think anybody thinks Indianapolis is a total dump, now do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis