U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:21 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,507,062 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at houses in the 35-50K range and the houses look pretty decent. How are the neighborhoods? Trashy neighbors with loud parties? I realize it won't be upscale people necessary compared to a 300K neighborhood, but I'm considering relocating to retire there.

I own a house in a 120K neighborhood in WA and a house in a much more expensive neighborhood as well. But I'm wondering if the difference between neighborhoods is as pronounced in Indianapolis as it is here.

I'm in the greater Seattle area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,524 times
Without any kind of context, how would we know what neighborhoods you are finding these houses and what you are considering decent? I would guess an immaculate house being sold for 35K-50K would be in an undesirable neighborhood. Even in my neighborhood on the near east side, the nice houses sell above that price range.

In general, yes Indianapolis is cheaper than Seattle. More land + less demand = cheaper. Simple economics.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:42 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,489,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I'm looking at houses in the 35-50K range and the houses look pretty decent. How are the neighborhoods? Trashy neighbors with loud parties? I realize it won't be upscale people necessary compared to a 300K neighborhood, but I'm considering relocating to retire there.

I own a house in a 120K neighborhood in WA and a house in a much more expensive neighborhood as well. But I'm wondering if the difference between neighborhoods is as pronounced in Indianapolis as it is here.

You need to be a bit more specific on what you're looking for in an area. Upscale could mean anything rather being downtown or the burbs. What kind of amenities do you want in your neighborhood? There are different a styles of neighborhoods. You want a house with a yard or a row house? If you want a row home then I recommend the St Joseph neighborhood (using this as an example). You want to be downtown or further out? The style of neighborhood can vary in the city.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:51 AM

3,887 posts, read 10,224,278 times
Hey in St. Joseph the cheapest thing is a 700? square foot second floor condo for over $100,000, townhouses for well over $200,000 and SFH for $300,000 to over $500,000. A lot for a house is $225,000. The other lot I know about is not really buildable and they are trying to sell it for $50,000.

If looking for that price, it would take feet on the ground. At that price, it is either the location and surroundings, the people (gangs), or the quality of houses. Indy has a serious problem with abandoned houses which so seriously affect neighboring housing stock.

Habitat for Humanity was even pushed out of one neighborhood by gang activity and threats.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:34 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,507,062 times
Dough! I actually was looking up street names for some of the houses on Zillow when I wrote the OP, with the intent of pasting the info in but forgot!

Here are are some of the street names of the neighborhoods I'm looking at.
Ireland Drive, Rochelle Dr., Ridgefield Dr.

Zip 46235.

Hopefully that helps.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:32 PM

29,561 posts, read 22,471,126 times
Thing is, Indy isn't limited by land to build on nor is it a hot market like Seattle.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,524 times
Quote:
Dough! I actually was looking up street names for some of the houses on Zillow when I wrote the OP, with the intent of pasting the info in but forgot!

Zip 46235.

Hopefully that helps.
46235 has some of the worst areas of the city. I would not be surprised to see such cheap real estate in that zip code.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:26 PM

909 posts, read 1,495,476 times
Quote:

Zip 46235.

Hopefully that helps.
I'd pass on that if I were you.

That area is sort of like Skyway or Rainier Beach but quite a bit worse

Old 06-20-2015, 06:08 PM

3,751 posts, read 2,909,995 times
Quote:

My uncle recently sold his house in Muncie for 41,000 $$$. It was built in 1926, it's been remodeled, 2 bedrooms, big front porch, basement, central air and heat, heated detached car garage, half acre with several trees, about a mile and a half from the Ball State University administration building, in an older, safe, quiet, well kept homes, middle class, predominantly white neighborhood, with lots of old-timers still living there.

Muncie is about 60 miles from downtown Indy and 40 to 45 miles from Fishers and is part of the Indy tv market. Muncie is not that much cheaper than Indianapolis. I am pretty sure there are neighborhoods similar in Indianapolis with houses in the same price range

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 06-20-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM

29,561 posts, read 22,471,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Actually not being a hot market on the scale of Seattle is a good thing.
10 years ago we had places like Phoenix, San Francisco, Atlanta, Florida that were on fire hot. Housing prices kept going up, up, up, up, and then crash with the recession of 2008-09.
Sometimes not being in a boom/bust market is a good thing as people that bought right before the crash were royally screwed. Homeowners here didn't suffer as much.
On one hand, not crashing is nice, but Seattle and San Francisco in particular have great economies with prosperous people to justify the prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis