U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'd take it if the residents wanted to be part of Carmel they wouldn't be fighting the annexation. It should be left to the residents to decide.

Then shouldn't Carmel taxpayers get to decide if they want to continue to provide services to Home Place? I know it's not that simple and I don't mean to imply they (Home Place) are freeloading. I am sure they pay something, but for the sake of efficiency, good city planning and common sense is it so unreasonable to put an end to the inefficiencies of the present convoluted system. Again, being part of Carmel is not a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 04:00 AM

2,088 posts, read 4,240,248 times
Default Updates

Here is the latest on this situation:

Court rules in favor of Carmel in Home Place annexation case

followed by this:

Carmel mayor believes Home Place could be annexed this year

Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 AM

21,013 posts, read 15,317,177 times
While I understand that the neighborhood wants to keep its own identity, the fact is that they are so small and wedged in between Indy and Carmel that they realistically cannot provide the services of an independent town. They are functionally part of Carmel and I don't see how the annexation is going to change that much.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Exclamation Indiana Court of Appeals Affirms Trial Court Decision

Welp! Unless a petition to appeal is accepted by the state's Supreme Court, looks like Carmel has won this long ordeal and is likely to annex Home Place.

After 13 years, Carmel can annex Home Place, appeals court rules

Old 11-28-2017, 01:08 AM

Exclamation Official on Jan. 1, 2018

Well, Home Place will soon be just known as a neighborhood within Carmel after the new year:

12 years later, Home Place agrees to Carmel annexation

I am betting that Carmel will make all property addresses in Home Place change to Carmel from Indianapolis (which makes sense) although they would still keep their zip code as the city has no control over that. Some municipalities have allowed newly annexed areas to keep their former addresses after annexation (e.g. when Schererville annexed unincorporated areas of Crown Point, residents were still able to keep Crown Point in their address).

I also think that more teardowns will happen in Home Place as it can be marketed as 100% Carmel now and with the coming infrastructure improvements.

Any other thoughts on this?

Old 11-28-2017, 06:28 AM

5,870 posts, read 7,100,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post

I am betting that Carmel will make all property addresses in Home Place change to Carmel from Indianapolis (which makes sense) although they would still keep their zip code as the city has no control over that. Some municipalities have allowed newly annexed areas to keep their former addresses after annexation (e.g. when Schererville annexed unincorporated areas of Crown Point, residents were still able to keep Crown Point in their address).

Any other thoughts on this?
The U.S. Postal Service determines the property address (including the name of the town/city). Carmel will have nothing to do with it for mail/delivery purposes. It would seem illogical to have one address for mail and another address for tax purposes.

It's not a matter of "allow."

Old 11-28-2017, 09:19 AM

1,416 posts, read 2,172,437 times
I wonder what will happen here. I know that Carmel will likely petition the USPS to change the Home Place zip code from Indy to Carmel, but it will depend on if this will cause a change in where the mail is sent. If the change of post office can handle the additional mail, my guess is that Home Place will start using an existing Carmel zip code, or they will get a new non-Indy zip code which will be a new zip code that will send the mail to the main Carmel post office. I only predict this because I know Fishers wanted to do the same thing to clean up any confusion (at one point in time, Fishers town limits had addresses of Fisher, Noblesville, McCordsville, and Fortville).

My main question is will Carmel want to slowly take over the area, demo it in the name of economic advancement? Will we see some land grab by Carmel?

Old 11-28-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The U.S. Postal Service determines the property address (including the name of the town/city). Carmel will have nothing to do with it for mail/delivery purposes. It would seem illogical to have one address for mail and another address for tax purposes.

It's not a matter of "allow."
Yes, you are correct. What I should have stated (which is still within USPS control) is that the USPS may authorize "Carmel, IN 46280" and the city of Carmel will strongly encourage its use. For the 46280 zip code, acceptable city names is Indianapolis and Nora (source: Look Up a ZIP Code). Another example of this is when Winfield, IN incorporated into a town. They did not get their own zip code; however, they did begin allowing the use of "Winfield, IN 46307" in addition to "Crown Point, IN 46307".

Either way, at minimum, I think it would make sense if USPS allows "Carmel, IN 46280" to be used. Really all that the USPS needs to deliver mail is the street address and Zip Code.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 PM

26 posts, read 14,062 times
So the HP annexation should put Carmel's population very close to 100k

Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 AM

26 posts, read 14,062 times
Home Place has a population of about 5K. 2016 estimates for Carmel are 93K. So that makes Carmel now have just shy of 100K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or