Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 07:55 PM

94 posts, read 163,184 times

Advertisements

Just went back to STL for 3 days. I went to school at Wash U in St Louis. Seeing STL reminds me of the things I don't like Indy: not many neighborhoods one can walk to; too much strip malls instead of neat neighborhoods one can shop, dine and drink; STL has so many historical neighborhoods with very nice old buildings, Indy's architecture has no character or history.

STL also has a lot more authentic ethnic restaurants which serves both immigrants and locals, but Indy's are very mediocre.

Anyways, STL is so much more interesting than Indy, the visit just solidifies my impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 08:02 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,225,138 times
Prepare to be lambasted.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Prepare to be lambasted.
I am scared now, :-D.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:07 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,473,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
Just went back to STL for 3 days. I went to school at Wash U in St Louis. Seeing STL reminds me of the things I don't like Indy: not many neighborhoods one can walk to; too much strip malls instead of neat neighborhoods one can shop, dine and drink; STL has so many historical neighborhoods with very nice old buildings, Indy's architecture has no character or history.

STL also has a lot more authentic ethnic restaurants which serves both immigrants and locals, but Indy's are very mediocre.

Anyways, STL is so much more interesting than Indy, the visit just solidifies my impression.
Thank you for your contribution. I hear Ferguson is interesting, too.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:49 AM

8,938 posts, read 17,160,432 times
It has been years since I was in STL, but it was my least favorite large city that I have visited. There are a couple nice neighborhoods on the south side, and I like University City, but that was really it. The arch doesn't do anything for me, nor does anything provel related. The only thing STL has that I wished Indy had was MetroLink with a little more "ToD" around that. I thought the bowling museum was cool too, but that has since left STL.

Too each his own I guess. I don't really get the whole "my city is better than yours" shtick that permeates the city data, and no doubt this will devolve into that.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 AM

34,812 posts, read 30,860,538 times
STL is also considerably larger metro and was historically a lot bigger than it currently is. Indy hasn't seen this kind of fall from grace.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:15 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,894,987 times
Quote:

You are comparing a legacy city to an emerging city. For over a century St. Louis was one of the 10 largest cities in the United States.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:50 AM

In no ways STL is declining. Instead, it is booming with lots and lots of new constructions. One thing I like about what they are doing: integrate the styles of new buildings nicely with the old buildings in Clayton, Univ City, Central West End and DT. And they have IKEA, which tells something about the status of the city.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It has been years since I was in STL, but it was my least favorite large city that I have visited. There are a couple nice neighborhoods on the south side, and I like University City, but that was really it. The arch doesn't do anything for me, nor does anything provel related. The only thing STL has that I wished Indy had was MetroLink with a little more "ToD" around that. I thought the bowling museum was cool too, but that has since left STL.

Too each his own I guess. I don't really get the whole "my city is better than yours" shtick that permeates the city data, and no doubt this will devolve into that.
I agree. The purpose of the post is not to compare, but to think what we could do to make Indy more appealing to new talents.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:06 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,587,602 times
Quote:
In no ways STL is declining. Instead, it is booming with lots and lots of new constructions. One thing I like about what they are doing: integrate the styles of new buildings nicely with the old buildings in Clayton, Univ City, Central West End and DT. And they have IKEA, which tells something about the status of the city.
Other than its shrinking population and sporadic riots.

I had a more thought-out response to your original post, but there's no reason for me to waste my time feeding a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: