Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:13 PM

5,904 posts, read 7,231,986 times

Advertisements

Look in Avon or Brownsburg - much closer to the airport, and a lot more house for your money, too.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 07:40 AM

25 posts, read 25,335 times
I just did a search for homes with 4 BR less than $300k in Fishers and Carmel with a fence and came up with 61 homes. There are 240 total 4 BR homes in the area for sale for less than $300k, so about a quarter of them have fences. There are certainly city and HOA rules in regards to building a fence, but that can be easily determined if you find a house you like that doesn't have one. Although uncommon, you can also ask for the seller to give you a credit to build a fence.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 10,940 times
Would Noblesville be a decent place to look? I'm finding a lot of newer construction, but not sure if it is an area we would want to consider.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,588,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenabie00 View Post
Would Noblesville be a decent place to look? I'm finding a lot of newer construction, but not sure if it is an area we would want to consider.
Unless I missed the post, I don't know that you've actually specified why you are looking at Carmel or Fishers in the first place. What do they offer specifically that appeals to your family? Without knowing why you like Carmel or Fishers, it's hard to say that Noblesville will work for you. In general, I would say Noblesville is basically the same as Fishers with somewhat less wealth. In my opinion though, I can't imagine many drives in the metro area (the main part anyway) worse than Noblesville to the Airport.

I'd personally recommend Zionsville or Whitestown since they have somewhat easy access to the airport. Zionsville and Carmel are very similar places. The only real difference is their "downtown areas", where Zionsville has an upscale and authentic small town feel, and Carmel has an upscale and very obvious brand new feel. Whitestown borders Zionsville and I don't really know much to say about it other than that. All I really know it's growing quickly and still small, and that people who can't find a house they like for their budget in Zionsville often choose to live there. I think I've heard they have good schools too.

Hopefully you find some of this useful!

Old 10-06-2015, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 716 times
We also relocated from Texas (Austin) to Indianapolis. It is true that fenced yards are the norm in TX, but the exception in the midwest.

We also searched the same geographic areas you are and ended up in Fishers. We spent 30 days in an extended stay hotel in Carmel. My work site is in Fishers. Going Carmel to Fishers or vice versa at rush hour is rough. So, I would suggest landing a house in the same city you intend to live/work. But it sounds like that's not a problem for your situation.

Noblesville is also very nice. But with small children, like us, the school system was important. Carmel has the top school system in the state. Fishers is also an exemplary system. Our son started kindergarten this fall and we are loving it so far.

We enjoyed our realtor if you are still searching. Feel free to reach out in a private message if you'd like more info!

Old 10-06-2015, 03:37 PM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Time View Post
We also relocated from Texas (Austin) to Indianapolis. It is true that fenced yards are the norm in TX, but the exception in the midwest.

We also searched the same geographic areas you are and ended up in Fishers. We spent 30 days in an extended stay hotel in Carmel. My work site is in Fishers. Going Carmel to Fishers or vice versa at rush hour is rough. So, I would suggest landing a house in the same city you intend to live/work. But it sounds like that's not a problem for your situation.

Noblesville is also very nice. But with small children, like us, the school system was important. Carmel has the top school system in the state. Fishers is also an exemplary system. Our son started kindergarten this fall and we are loving it so far.

We enjoyed our realtor if you are still searching. Feel free to reach out in a private message if you'd like more info!
I honestly doubt there is going to be that much difference between the different schools in Hamilton County. The whole place is very affluent.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 PM

160 posts, read 153,846 times
A couple of things about fences and Carmel and Fishers: Zoning is very tight in Indiana, specifically Hamilton county where Carmel and Fishers are located. Translated--that is why you do not see as many fences. You will have to get it approved through an HOA and the cities of these suburbs have restrictions on how you can utilize your yard.

There are some arguable benefits to living in Carmel and Fishers. The schools, reputation, city amenities and infrastructure, and resale value of these areas can make it more attractive than other areas of Indianapolis. Carmel and Zionsville will give you the least amount of house for the most amount of money. Your dollar will stretch much further on any other side of town. That said, there are a few choices in Carmel with a 4 bedroom/fenced yard for 300k if you want to go with that location.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:16 AM

27 posts, read 41,056 times
Carmel!! Best schools! beautiful safe homes...have friends there..

hoosier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis